Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
Like an extra point and a half on his ERA once he leaves Petco and comes to the AL at the cell?

Do you watch him pitch? Jake Peavy is a great pitcher. He has filthy stuff. A rotation headlined by Peavy and Buehrle is pretty damn good. You figure Danks will get it together and Colon has mostly been solid this year. We still don't have a 5th considering the way Floyd has been throwing daily BP to other teams, but even he should rebound at some point this year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
Thats easy to get around, make him hate it here, trade him to somewhere he wants to play, he waives it.

Or become financially insolvent, then force him out.

I really wouldnt even be that concerned about a NTC.

The reason?

He would have already agreed once to waive his NTC to go some where in the AL. If the Sox were going to potentially trade him in the future, it would probably be to the NL, where he wants to be.

No real concern in my eyes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
Thats easy to get around, make him hate it here, trade him to somewhere he wants to play, he waives it.

or how about WIN here, he wants to stay here and we don't want to deal him?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
And what in the last 2 decade of Sox baseball has made you think our players from the minors will be close to above average in their first 2-3 years? I love Slayer more than anyone, but there will be a learning curve for these guys I'm sure. I just worry about our offense the next couple of years, and would rather we use more of the money to get a leadoff hitter, etc.

We have no holes greater than the holes we have in our rotation. I'd gladly sacrifice a bat or two if it meant vastly upgrading the pitching staff.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
The zoo's we have here in Chicago are better and I am usually quick too take a s*** on anything we have here over anything in California so thats saying something.

I really couldn't disagree more... that giant zoo they have in san diego is awesome! its expensive but totally amazing experience. In fact the Zoo's in chicago are too small and it depresses me when I have to see the animals all locked up and confined in such a tight space,

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
I'm already sick of it, although if Broadway is involved .......................................

I say we give them Broadway just for entertaining us for 12 hours, regardless of whether or not Peavy accepts the deal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
LOL, you dont think the Sox could come back from a 6 game deficit with not even 1/4 of the season over? Hilarious. Why DO you watch the White Sox?

Yeah, this isn't the AL East.

The Royals are a lot better, but I don't believe they're for real until they get some of these kids up (Melville, Hosmer, Moustakas, etc.) and the Tigers have pitching but also a lot of bad contracts that will hold them back. The Toons are either great or horrible, hard to tell, and certainly nothing to be scared of. The Twins aren't playing the same fundamentally sound baseball that we're used to, and I don't quite think they currently have the type of offense that will be needed once they move into a real baseball stadium.

Peavy makes us worlds better.

QUOTE (RoyHobbs @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
I think the deal with go through once we hit a 100 posts...so here's my contribution

posts? I believe you mean pages... If I had to guess, we're probably already past 1,000 posts in this thread, lol.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
And what in the last 2 decade of Sox baseball has made you think our players from the minors will be close to above average in their first 2-3 years? I love Slayer more than anyone, but there will be a learning curve for these guys I'm sure. I just worry about our offense the next couple of years, and would rather we use more of the money to get a leadoff hitter, etc.

Quality starting pitching is way more important than a leadoff hitter. And it's not like there are that many Torii Hunter-type leadoff hitters who can also drive in runs on the FA market anyway. I'd rather go with somebody like Wily Taveras and pay for a halfway decent replacement for Dye.

At the end of the year there are 5 spots that need to be filled Colons rotation spot, Dotels bullpen spot, RF, CF, and DH. Colon and Dotel will probably replaced internally (Marquez? and Link or?). Dye will likely fill one of those spots (DH) with his option, so we have about $14 MM to plug two other holes and possibly three if Fields doesnt pick it up at 3B. Danks2 is probably another full season away from being able to contribute as is Allen.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
posts? I believe you mean pages... If I had to guess, we're probably already past 1,000 posts in this thread, lol.

Yeah we're close to 1100 posts. Pages are subjective, though. I used to display like 30 posts per page, so I always had way less.

Pitching wins, but to guarantee a $22 million option 4 years from now is insane. If he doesn't want to be here, let him go to play for the Cubbies, I'm already sick of it, although if Broadway is involved .......................................
So the Sox are too cheap, but now you don't want them to commit money to an ace?

Pitching wins, but to guarantee a $22 million option 4 years from now is insane. If he doesn't want to be here, let him go to play for the Cubbies, I'm already sick of it, although if Broadway is involved .......................................

Not like we don't have a roster of overpaid guys at the moment.