Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
From someone who is a negotiator for a living, if we are getting into the fine points of a contract then we are steps away from a deal. Both sides wouldnt be asking for things unless an agreement was in there somewhere.

I don't do it for a living, but as an attorney I've negotiated a fair amount of settlments and I totally agree. The agent saying it's not over adds more fuel to that.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
From someone who is a negotiator for a living, if we are getting into the fine points of a contract then we are steps away from a deal. Both sides wouldnt be asking for things unless an agreement was in there somewhere.

This is something I completely agree with you. I think we'll have an answer by 8 PM tonight.

There is an agreement. We all have known that since 6 or 7am. That's between two parties who now have no control.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
zoos in general are overrated. I dont want to pay 35 bucks to walk around and see a bunch of animals sleeping.

I take it you haven't been to a Sox game this year....

isn't it funny when basically there's an agreement that everyone can live with but both sides are still dicking around and someone just bluntly says, enough, that deal is it and it's done?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
There is an agreement. We all have known that since 6 or 7am. That's between two parties who now have no control.

He means over the NTC.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
As someone who thinks the White Sox have been very cheap this season, and knowing if Peavy is outstanding for 3 1/2 years in Chicago that $22 million would be fair, to just guarantee it now is not smart. What if he gets hurt? What if he turns into Barry Zito? Stranger things have happened. If it were a hitter, that's one thing, but JR has been correct on his 3 year contracts for pitchers. He's extended to 4 recently with a couple of guys, but if they keep doing it, they will get burned, and $22 million would be a horrific burn.

FWIW, the Sox took a $40 million gamble on Contreras, who was already in his mid-30s at the time and whose arm had been downright abused. He didn't pan out (consistently) over that time, but he didn't exactly cripple a team that had a ton of money committed elsewhere.

It's not my money, but I'd say it's worth the gamble, given how bad the back of our rotation is and the possibility that Floyd may never pitch like he did in 2008 again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
Because we've been through this before when they tried to sign Hunter and then Fukudome. They said they were busting the budget, not that the money was available. If Peavy declines, we will get the same story. If owing a major league pitcher $22 million 4 seasons from now doesn't scream risk to you, nothing will.
It's $18 million, not $22. $4 is auto-guaranteed. Also, someone already broke Peavy's contract down in this thread. It's not the horrible albatross you make it out to be, assuming of course Peavy ends up injured or sucking. If you can't see the value in adding a true ace to your rotation via trade, without mortgaging the farm system, for what ends up being a perfectly reasonable contract, then I don't know what to tell you. You've got your mind set on this team being cheap and/or stupid, and nothing will change that. Good luck with it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)

He's talking about negotiations between Peavy and the White Sox. Is it a certainty they are negotiating? Can they even negotiate without the commissioner signing off on it?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:04 PM)

There is an agreement in place between the Padres and the Sox. Now, Peavy and the Sox need to reach an agreement. I agree with the others, if the two sides are down to nitty gritty contract details, that's probably a good sign. But, if they're still apart on whether or not to exercise an $18M option, that's still a pretty big gap.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
I have talked to buerhle in person and shared a drink with him....from that meeting i can safely say he wouldn't give a damn...most down to earth athlete i have ever met

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:02 PM)
First that is always a cool thing to have the animals roam free. In Australia there zoos to a lot more of this and you can get up close with Kangaroos pretty cool stuff

+1

Koalas are very, very, very soft and cute. Kangaroos can be cool but they look at you funny, as if to say "If you didn't have food in your hand I'd kill you and make my own."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
He's talking about negotiations between Peavy and the White Sox. Is it a certainty they are negotiating? Can they even negotiate without the commissioner signing off on it?

I think everything will be pretty rubber stamped unless there's money defered