Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
I really can't remember... but didn't we trade Link last year?
Nope! Fairly current stats:

2009 Stats    G    W-L    ERA    IP    H    BB    K    SV    WHIP
CHA (chw)    AAA    15    0-0    2.29    19.2    13    9    24    5    1.12

QUOTE (almagest @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
So the Sox are too cheap, but now you don't want them to commit money to an ace?

What? Yes to guarantee $22 million for one season 4 years from now is crazy. The $56 million or whatever is left on his contract is a pretty nice committment. This is a guy who has had elbow issues. They have been cheap. They already said they have no money, yet Peavy may be here. If he declines, its not like they are going to spend a bunch of money elsewhere.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Holy crap, $35 for admission to a zoo?? Do they let you ride a gorilla?

No, that's just overpriced San Diego for you. I paid $8 for 10 OTC allergy pills at a convenience store there last year.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Yeah we're close to 1100 posts. Pages are subjective, though. I used to display like 30 posts per page, so I always had way less.

Hey didn't know I could change that just made my viewing a lot better... lot less pages to load THANKS!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
What? Yes to guarantee $22 million for one season 4 years from now is crazy. The $56 million or whatever is left on his contract is a pretty nice committment. This is a guy who has had elbow issues.

I'd be more worried about the elbow issues than the $22 million option. You can always trade a healthy pitcher, even if it involves eating a portion of that contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
Pitching wins, but to guarantee a $22 million option 4 years from now is insane. If he doesn't want to be here, let him go to play for the Cubbies, I'm already sick of it, although if Broadway is involved .......................................

$22 million 4 years from now is a lot (it's really $18 million, $4 million is already a sunk cost), but:

(1) you're getting 3/4 year at $11 million prorated, which is way below market; and

(2) you're getting 3 years at $16 million average, which is still likely below market, and not all that different from MB's contract.

When you look at the overall contract, it's reasonable for a pitcher like Peavy, especially when you compare it to the contracts that other "aces" have received recently. If we have to overpay a bit for year 5, I'm ok with it.

I imagine the Sox are comfortable with his elbow, or the trade wouldn't have gotten this far.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
$22 million 4 years from now is a lot (it's really $18 million, $4 million is already a sunk cost), but:

(1) you're getting 3/4 year at $11 million prorated, which is way below market; and

(2) you're getting 3 years at $16 million average, which is still likely below market, and not all that different from MB's contract.

When you look at the overall contract, it's reasonable for a pitcher like Peavy, especially when you compare it to the contracts that other "aces" have received recently. If we have to overpay a bit for year 5, I'm ok with it.

As someone who thinks the White Sox have been very cheap this season, and knowing if Peavy is outstanding for 3 1/2 years in Chicago that $22 million would be fair, to just guarantee it now is not smart. What if he gets hurt? What if he turns into Barry Zito? Stranger things have happened. If it were a hitter, that's one thing, but JR has been correct on his 3 year contracts for pitchers. He's extended to 4 recently with a couple of guys, but if they keep doing it, they will get burned, and $22 million would be a horrific burn.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
What? Yes to guarantee $22 million for one season 4 years from now is crazy. The $56 million or whatever is left on his contract is a pretty nice committment. This is a guy who has had elbow issues. They have been cheap. They already said they have no money, yet Peavy may be here. If he declines, its not like they are going to spend a bunch of money elsewhere.
Yeah, a guy with arm problems who hasn't thrown less than 166 innings since his rookie year, and still managed 173 last year with an ERA of 2.85, then was shut down for precautionary measures. That screams risk to me.

How do you know what the Sox going to spend? I didn't see you predicting a possible trade for Peavy in any threads here. What the team says to the media and what they actually do have been radically different since KW became GM; I don't see why this would be any different.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)

I imagine the Sox are comfortable with his elbow, or the trade wouldn't have gotten this far.

POTT.

(Post of the Thread)

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
I missed the last 15 or so pages due to lunch. Anything I should know?

it seems Peavy said he'd accept if option is picked up, no trade clause extended and possibly others (maybe like trips to Chi for fam)

that's the update

Nice blurbs from Heyman.

# #white sox person: "we wouldnt trade gordon beckham straight up for peavy.'' it's pitching padres would get if he agrees42 minutes ago from web

# if peavy wants big inducements to go to the #white sox, i dont think thats going to work. chicago likes his contract as isabout 1 hour ago from web

So, another interesting point to discuss: does this trade affect Buehrle at all? He'd clearly no longer be the #1/"Ace" of the squad, but I honestly think he's a big enough man to welcome this proven winner and horse to the rotation without any difficulty. What do ya'll think?