Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (almagest @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
Yeah, a guy with arm problems who hasn't thrown less than 166 innings since his rookie year, and still managed 173 last year with an ERA of 2.85, then was shut down for precautionary measures. That screams risk to me.

How do you know what the Sox going to spend? I didn't see you predicting a possible trade for Peavy in any threads here. What the team says to the media and what they actually do have been radically different since KW became GM; I don't see why this would be any different.

Because we've been through this before when they tried to sign Hunter and then Fukudome. They said they were busting the budget, not that the money was available. If Peavy declines, we will get the same story. If owing a major league pitcher $22 million 4 seasons from now doesn't scream risk to you, nothing will.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Were you aware your avatar image is backwards?

Yea, just too lazy to change it; and honestly, he should be holding a bat in his hands rather than striking out The Whammer.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
So, another interesting point to discuss: does this trade affect Buehrle at all? He'd clearly no longer be the #1/"Ace" of the squad, but I honestly think he's a big enough man to welcome this proven winner and horse to the rotation without any difficulty. What do ya'll think?

Most likely he doesnt give a s*** either way.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:55 PM)
i am glad this thread is now half zoo/half peavy talk

i approve

thats my fault as usual sorry guys....

but really the san diego zoo is huge but its too huge you cant see any of the animals cause they are a mile away. And the ski lift scared the s*** out of me.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
So, another interesting point to discuss: does this trade affect Buehrle at all? He'd clearly no longer be the #1/"Ace" of the squad, but I honestly think he's a big enough man to welcome this proven winner and horse to the rotation without any difficulty. What do ya'll think?

MB couldn't care any less about any of that.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)

The Cubs have about four #2 starters on their staff, and it's had no negative effect. Also, Buehrle's a really mellow guy, i think he'd willingly step aside.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:58 PM)

but really the san diego zoo is huge but its too huge you cant see any of the animals cause they are a mile away. And the ski lift scared the s*** out of me.

oh I wasn't trying to be sarcastic....let it go off topic i don't get all buthurt like if someone posts information for a 2nd-3rd-4th time

QUOTE (shipps @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)

zoos in general are overrated. I dont want to pay 35 bucks to walk around and see a bunch of animals sleeping.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
As someone who thinks the White Sox have been very cheap this season, and knowing if Peavy is outstanding for 3 1/2 years in Chicago that $22 million would be fair, to just guarantee it now is not smart. What if he gets hurt? What if he turns into Barry Zito? Stranger things have happened. If it were a hitter, that's one thing, but JR has been correct on his 3 year contracts for pitchers. He's extended to 4 recently with a couple of guys, but if they keep doing it, they will get burned, and $22 million would be a horrific burn.

It's a risk, no doubt. But if we're not willing to take that risk, we're never going to land an ace pitcher, and it doesn't appear that we have any in our farm system. I'm not saying we should take the Yankee approach to pitching, but overall, Peavy's contract is actually pretty reasonable for a pitcher of his calibre.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
I'd still want him starting opening day. Tends to not turn out well when someone else does.

Which is an honor he deserves as long as he is on this team and maintains his abilities. But I doubt he cares at all at not being "the guy" on the pitching staff anymore.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
LOL, you dont think the Sox could come back from a 6 game deficit with not even 1/4 of the season over? Hilarious. Why DO you watch the White Sox?

I think Tigers are the superior team this year, as their rotation has really matured and their offense is a lot more consistent. I would love to have Peavy for the next few years, but then there's the question about reloading our offense with young guys (Beckham, Allen, etc.). I don't even look at the standings until June though, to be totally honest. I couldn't tell you how many games in front or behind we are compared to Twins, KC, etc.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 21, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
There also is a San Diego Wild Life place, where the animals roam freer. Its a pretty cool place.

And for some reason I think the more the talk becomes about the "contract" the closer it is to reality.

Money can be negotiated.

First that is always a cool thing to have the animals roam free. In Australia there zoos to a lot more of this and you can get up close with Kangaroos pretty cool stuff

Second I am thinking the same thing as you about the more talk about money the closer it is. The only way I can see this not happening is if Peavy has an objection to the AL or The Cell so if its just posturing for more money KW had to know this would happen and will be sure to get him locked up