6/1 Games

flavum

Charlotte v. Toledo

Beckham is 2 for his first 2 in this game with 3 RBI's. He hit his double of the left-center field wall with two men on base, almost a HR. His first hit came on a bunt after Lillibridge doubled to lead off the game. Whatever "it" is, Gordo has "it". There is seemingly nothing that he can't do on a baseball field. What a gamer. He also has a healthy 1.206 OPS so far in AAA.

Birmingham v. Huntsville

W-S v. Myrtle Beach

Mollenhauer has a triple, he's been raking so far hitting .306, time for a promotion maybe.

Kanny v. Delmarva

Gilmore doubled in a run, his avg. is at .222, waiting for him to show his power.

Edited by bighurt4life

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 06:27 PM)
Gordon Beckham is 2-2.

Bunt single, double, 2 runs, 2 RBIs

Batting .529 at Charlotte.

Charlotte leads 7-0 in the 2nd inning.

Wow. 20 doubles already between Charlotte and B-ham.

So, when does everybody think Slayer's headed to Chicago? I'd say by the end of the month. I didn't see anything while he was here that made me think he needed much time in the minors or a lot of seasoning. The coolest thing I saw him do was during an at bat, he was thrown an offspeed pitch, he started to swing, realized that he was swinging too early, stopped, then swung. I know he made contact, can't remember what he did though. He's got a great approach at the plate, never looked foolish at all in the times I saw him. He's ready.

I think a lot of people (including myself) are trying to talk themselves into thinking he's not ready simply because he was drafted just last year, and he hasn't played a certain amount of minor league games. Even Joe Cowley had a Twitter earlier saying Ozzie said "if Beckham comes up, we're in trouble." Well Ozzie, I got news for you. He's ready.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 01:41 AM)
Yeah Ozzie, we might be in trouble, or he might be a young catalyst that helps the team a lot in the second half...

You'll be happy to know that KW doesn't feel the same way as Ozzie does about Beckham.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
I think a lot of people (including myself) are trying to talk themselves into thinking he's not ready simply because he was drafted just last year, and he hasn't played a certain amount of minor league games. Even Joe Cowley had a Twitter earlier saying Ozzie said "if Beckham comes up, we're in trouble." Well Ozzie, I got news for you. He's ready.

Here's my thinking.

What I didn't want to see was Beckham brought up to the big leagues because the big league team needed him. If Fields hadn't picked it up, if Getz hadn't picked it up, there would have been a strong temptation to bring him up a couple weeks ago, regardless of what he was doing, even right after he had that DL stint and short slump. It's been pretty obvious through April/May that this team had too many people struggling with the bat, and pushing Beckham to the big leagues might have been a desperation solution to that. At the same time, if you rush Beckham up, you potentially stunt the development of one of the other 2 guys by sending them back down, and either of them could be useful pieces.

On the other hand, if Beckham is coming up because there's simply no one in the minor leagues that can get him out, how can you keep him down there? We're past the point where we gain anything arbitration-wise to keep him down there unless he's down there through next May. If he's just ready to come up, then the only reason to keep him down there would be to give Getz/Fields more AB's, and frankly, Beckham's more valuable to us.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
Danks homers opposite field in Birmingham. Who says that his power hasn't ever developed. He's been in a mini-slump, good to see him go yard.

They're playing in Huntsville.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)

I'm not worried about his bat, I am worried about the nine errors he has already in a much slower game at the minor league level.