Boras wants $50M signing bonus for Strasburg!?

bschmaranz

I really hope he asks for it and sticks to his guns, because that might be the straw that breaks this stupid draft system's back finally. I would LOVE to see the draft done the way the NBA does it with very strict and tight price ranges based on where a player is picked.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
I really hope he asks for it and sticks to his guns, because that might be the straw that breaks this stupid draft system's back finally. I would LOVE to see the draft done the way the NBA does it with very strict and tight price ranges based on where a player is picked.

Pretty much single-handedly s*** on by Boras, too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)

The only reason Id be against it, would be teams would be discouraged to draft the talented tough to sign guys in the later rounds because they wouldn't be able to give them first round money to not go to college.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)

It'd be nice to see the MLB and NFL to adopt a similar policy to the NBA draft.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
The only reason Id be against it, would be teams would be discouraged to draft the talented tough to sign guys in the later rounds because they wouldn't be able to give them first round money to not go to college.

I think you can rest assured that there will never be a system like the NBA has for the entire MLB draft. It's too different and far too deeper to do something like that. I do, however, think we'll see some boundaries put into place for the 1st round at the very least. That's really the only problem the MLB Draft has. After that, let teams use their money as to how they see fit.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...x.html?bcnn=yes

Boras is expected to use Japanese import Daisuke Matsuzaka, who received $52 million from Boston after the Red Sox paid a $51 million posting fee, as the real Strasburg comp. Boras will argue Strasburg, who turns 21 next month, shouldn't receive anything less than the 28-year-old Matsuzaka (also a Boras client), that he is as good (or better since he's younger and throws harder) and that the dynamic is the same.

so, a player with absolutely NO experience above college is comparable to a player who spent 8 years in the bandbox stadiums of the Japanese leagues? Boras needs his head examined.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:40 AM)
so, a player with absolutely NO experience above college is comparable to a player who spent 8 years in the bandbox stadiums of the Japanese leagues? Boras needs his head examined.

The guy pretty much always gets what he wants, his head seems to work just fine. I hate the way he operates, always trying to find loopholes in the system to exploit, but he is really awesome at what he does

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
If the Nats draft Strasburg and don't sign him, then end up with the #1 next year too, could they draft him again?

I think they would actually end up with the 2nd pick, and the player would have to give them consent to draft him twice.

He doesn't believe what he says, just so you know.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
I think you can rest assured that there will never be a system like the NBA has for the entire MLB draft. It's too different and far too deeper to do something like that. I do, however, think we'll see some boundaries put into place for the 1st round at the very least. That's really the only problem the MLB Draft has. After that, let teams use their money as to how they see fit.

The problem with that is that then the players that want huge contracts will just say 'don't pick me in the 1st round or I won't sign because I want more money.' There has to be a max contract put in place, but it's not going to be easy to implement without repercussions or loopholes.

Strasburg pitched in the Olympics against minor league and other pro competition.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
The guy pretty much always gets what he wants, his head seems to work just fine. I hate the way he operates, always trying to find loopholes in the system to exploit, but he is really awesome at what he does

Except for Manny, I guess.

Someone on baseball tonight had a pretty good idea -- take a similar approach to the Dodgers and Manny -- offer Strasburg a record-setting contract right off the bat that is also pretty close to a best and final offer, say around $15 million, and leave it to Boras to reject it if he wants. Boras can come up with all of these "comparables" but if no one is buying them he's just talking to himself.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
Except for Manny, I guess.

Someone on baseball tonight had a pretty good idea -- take a similar approach to the Dodgers and Manny -- offer Strasburg a record-setting contract right off the bat that is also pretty close to a best and final offer, say around $15 million, and leave it to Boras to reject it if he wants. Boras can come up with all of these "comparables" but if no one is buying them he's just talking to himself.

The question winds up being...how much is it worth to them to not have to go through the draft again next year? If the best Washington offers is $15, do they think they can hold out next year and get a richer team with the #2 pick who will actually go significantly higher?

The odds of the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs picking #2 is pretty low.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
The question winds up being...how much is it worth to them to not have to go through the draft again next year? If the best Washington offers is $15, do they think they can hold out next year and get a richer team with the #2 pick who will actually go significantly higher?

Not to mention he would be one year farther from FA. So unless he gets a huge offer compared to the 15 mill the Nats will offer from a team next year, it wouldnt be worth it. Also add in the risk of injury etc.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
Not to mention he would be one year farther from FA. So unless he gets a huge offer compared to the 15 mill the Nats will offer from a team next year, it wouldnt be worth it. Also add in the risk of injury etc.

Either way...I'm not admiring the job the Nats GM has to do over the next month or so. That won't be pleasant.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)

If the Nationals can't sign Strasburg they'd have the #2 overall selection in next year's draft. And considering how the Nationals are the worst team in the league by 9 games, they'll likely pick #1 next year.

There's really no benefit of holding out for Boras. The best Strasburg can do is, what, maintain his #1 position, whereas there are any number of worst case scenarios.

Another benefit here is if, by some chance, Strasburg didn't sign and re-entered the draft, it'd probably push Bryce Harper another season. I know there was discussion of him possibly going a year earlier. It definitely wouldn't be in Bryce's interest to enter the same draft as Strasburg, especially with the same team selecting 1st and 2nd. The Nationals may have an outside shot of both Strasburg and Byrce if everything goes in their favor, beginning with first securing Strasburg . Now, that's a LOT of money between those two, but also, if everything works out, two tremendous talents that could revive the franchise.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

It amazes me that there's no limit to this and what fans will pay to go to games, eat food at the games and drink beer at the games. Are people going to spend 10 bucks for a beer soon? Of course. They'll spend any amount.

This kid isn't going to be pitching any time soon. Negotiations to drag on the full year.