When Thome goes to the Hall

hogan873

Okay, here's a topic to debate something else besides fire sales, money, and losing.

When Big Jim gets the call for the Hall, what jersey will he wear? Obviously he spent a huge amount of time in Cleveland and was a major force to be reckoned with then. But, he hit his 500th with the Sox and may hit his 600th with the Sox (although that's not very likely).

Cleveland fans do not much care for Thome, but he may still have some love for the team and city.

If he retires as a Sox, I could easily see him donning the Sox jersey. But if he goes somewhere else for the twilight of his career and hits #600 there, that could be a different story.

No, and it won't even be close and shouldn't be up for debate. 12 seasons in Cleveland with a career .287/.414/.567/.982 line compared to 4 seasons in Chicago at .267/.396/.547/.942.

//thread

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
He should go in as a White Sox just to piss off all those Indian fans that boo him. How do you boo Jim Thome?

Except that it's not longer the players choice on what jersey he wears into the Hall, after the Wade Boggs situation.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 08:09 AM)
Except that it's not longer the players choice on what jersey he wears into the Hall, after the Wade Boggs situation.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I wasn't aware that it's not the player's choice. I remember the uproar over Fisk choosing Boston over Chicago.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 08:18 AM)
You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but I wasn't aware that it's not the player's choice. I remember the uproar over Fisk choosing Boston over Chicago.

No problem. From Wikipedia:

In 2001, the Hall of Fame decided to change the policy on cap logo selection as a result of rumors that some teams were offering compensation, such as number retirement, money, or organizational jobs, in exchange for the cap designation. (For example, though Wade Boggs denied the claims, some media reports had said that his contract with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays required him to request depiction in the Hall of Fame as a Devil Ray).[19] Although the decision would be a mutual responsibility, the Hall, not the players, would have the final say in such matters. Newly elected members affected by the change include the following:

* Gary Carter: Inducted in 2003, Carter was the first player to be affected by the new policy. Carter won his only championship with the 1986 New York Mets, and wanted his induction plaque to depict him wearing a Mets cap, even though he had spent twelve years (1974–84, 1992) with the Montreal Expos and only five (1985–89) with the Mets. The Hall of Fame decided that his plaque would instead show Carter with an Expos cap.

* Wade Boggs: Boggs's only championship was as a member of the 1996 New York Yankees, for whom he played from 1993–97, but his best career numbers were posted during his eleven years (1982–92) wearing the Boston Red Sox uniform. Boggs would eventually be depicted wearing a Boston cap for his 2005 induction, despite his acrimonious relationship with Red Sox management.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 08:09 AM)

I forgot about that. Baseball should just do what football does and players just go in as players and it lists all the teams you played for. I think it makes more sense now that players are more likely to play for a number of teams over their careers.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 06:06 AM)
Unless he finds the fountain of youth and plays here for another 10 years... he's an Indian in the HOF. Zero question about it, despite that we'd like it to be otherwise (and that the CLE fans' behavior shows they don't deserve it).

Indeed. I read an interview with Thome about a month ago where he went on and on about how special a place Cleveland was, what a special group of players they had there, how exciting it was to win two pennants there, etc. I don't think that a couple hundred meatheads booing him will overshadow the positive memories that he has there.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 08:28 AM)
I forgot about that. Baseball should just do what football does and players just go in as players and it lists all the teams you played for. I think it makes more sense now that players are more likely to play for a number of teams over their careers.

I completely agree and great post. With free agency running rampant...it's time to just slap a cap on them with nothing on it and list the teams played for. Done and done.

This coming offseason, does Thome pretty much take a mil or two to return if we offer a full-time DH slot?

How many teams could offer that, plus have a chance at contending? Plus close to home for him...

I'm fine with Thome being here if we're using that current money he makes and put it towards someone seriously good.

Edited by Princess Dye

I hope, for him, that as soon as his career is finished he's flown to Cleveland and given the royal treatment in a celebration that retires his number and mends the wounds brought on by that classless fanbase...otherwise known as the population of Cleveland. Jim and his wife did so much for that community and that organization.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
I hope, for him, that as soon as his career is finished he's flown to Cleveland and given the royal treatment in a celebration that retires his number and mends the wounds brought on by that classless fanbase...otherwise known as the population of Cleveland. Jim and his wife did so much for that community and that organization.

He deserves better than what he got there. They were lucky to have the guy.

just curious, if Maggs was healthy and coming off a typical Sox season back in 2004 and said they would have "rip the Sox jersey off his back" and would later pass up a great deal from the Sox to take a more lucrative offer from another team, wouldn't fans be pretty pissed off? How about if he was then traded to a division rival three years later?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
just curious, if Maggs was healthy and coming off a typical Sox season back in 2004 and said they would have "rip the Sox jersey off his back" and would later pass up a great deal from the Sox to take a more lucrative offer from another team, wouldn't fans be pretty pissed off? How about if he was then traded to a division rival three years later?

My recollection may be incorrect, but I don't believe that the Indians offered Thome a "great" deal or anything close to it.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
He goes in as a Phillie...

Jim%20Thome.jpg

The Sox took a real chance on him as a Phillie an everyday player he was done. His stats were way down but his career was resurrected with the sox. Myself, I think his resurection as a DH and thus continuing his baseball career shouldn't be discounted.

:lol: