Healthcare reform

kapkomet

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 05:43 PM)
yea, that sounds like a fairly unusual conclusion to reach. Seniors think that some of their government coverage will be reduced to pay for younger uninsured’s .

Remarkably, the only real way that's going to happen is if there is no reform to cut the rate of cost increase. Most people have forgotten that, for example, the 1995 government shutdown was almost explicitly over cuts that the Republicans wanted to make in Medicare expenditures. We're spending a heckuva lot more than that on Medicare now, and in 5 years we'll be spending a heckuvalot more than this if there is no reform.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
yea, that sounds like a fairly unusual conclusion to reach. Seniors think that some of their government coverage will be reduced to pay for younger uninsured’s .

There may be some legitimate point buried in there. It talked about cutting Medicare $500 Billion with a B but I'd be curious to know if they'd be eligible for some other option instead.

Anyway, part of it was definitely "You don't want the Government controlling health care!" and the other part was "They took yer Medicare!"

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:54 AM)
But please, let's continue to make sure that we talk about how bad everything is here in our country. USA SUCKS!

I believe you would say our government sucks. That seems to be a GOP theme.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
Bulls***.

Were you asleep for the past 5 or so years?

Shall we start the long list of things the government can't do, according to the GOP?

Judicial system (activist judges)

Health Care

Regulate financial markets

just to name a couple

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
Shall we start the long list of things the government can't do, according to the GOP?

Judicial system (activist judges)

Health Care

Regulate financial markets

just to name a couple

My bad.

I was under the misconception that we just got through with an evil 8 year regime/dictatorship that couldn't do anything right.

I apologize.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
My bad.

I was under the misconception that we just got through with an evil 8 year regime/dictatorship that couldn't do anything right.

I apologize.

And it is a natural division of small government versus larger government.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/...t.php?ref=fpblg

"Once you thoroughly unfasten yourself from reality, truly all things are possible.

AJC columnist Jay Bookman noticed that in the latest Investors Business Daily editorial about how the 'death panel' will condemn all handicapped or disabled people to death on some horrid wind-swept mountain, it notes that ...

People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless.

Needless to say, Hawking, who is recognized as one of the great theoretical physicists of the 20th and 21st century, was born in the UK and has lived his entire life there."

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)

"Once you thoroughly unfasten yourself from reality, truly all things are possible.

AJC columnist Jay Bookman noticed that in the latest Investors Business Daily editorial about how the 'death panel' will condemn all handicapped or disabled people to death on some horrid wind-swept mountain, it notes that ...

People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless.

Needless to say, Hawking, who is recognized as one of the great theoretical physicists of the 20th and 21st century, was born in the UK and has lived his entire life there."

lmao, thats actually really f***ing embarrassing. Oh the downside to the First Amendment, in full effect.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)

Hawking was born prior to England's health care system being put into place. His parents were well off, and he did not experience any symptoms of his disease until he was in college.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
lmao, thats actually really f***ing embarrassing. Oh the downside to the First Amendment, in full effect.

You know what's really impressing me about this whole "Death panel" idiocy? It's how even the supposed legit-media outlets are still refusing to call a spade a spade. Not just Fox, they're doing exactly what they're supposed to do; pretending what Palin said is 100% true and telling their whole audience to be afraid of it. The AP, for example, is running these stories as "Republicans say Democrats are going to euthanize the elderly, Democrats and some experts disagree." They're just unwilling to come out and say "these statements are false" or any version of that.

It's literally in "Republicans say the sun will rise in the west tomorrow, Democrats and scientists disagree" territory. Meanwhile, Fox News tells how horrible things would be if Obama made the sun rise in the West. It's remarkable how easily the media are played this way. "We promise, we learned our lessons from the Iraq war!".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
You know what's really impressing me about this whole "Death panel" idiocy? It's how even the supposed legit-media outlets are still refusing to call a spade a spade. Not just Fox, they're doing exactly what they're supposed to do; pretending what Palin said is 100% true and telling their whole audience to be afraid of it. The AP, for example, is running these stories as "Republicans say Democrats are going to euthanize the elderly, Democrats and some experts disagree." They're just unwilling to come out and say "these statements are false" or any version of that.

It's literally in "Republicans say the sun will rise in the west tomorrow, Democrats and scientists disagree" territory. Meanwhile, Fox News tells how horrible things would be if Obama made the sun rise in the West. It's remarkable how easily the media are played this way. "We promise, we learned our lessons from the Iraq war!".

For real, though. All the "read the bill" talk. Where the hell does it say this in the bill? So people can just tell bald-faced lies in public, over and over, and go unchecked?

Then again, if any media outlet actually did call a spade a spade, you know as well as I do that the "liberal media" card would just get played again. Cognitive dissonance.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 05:55 PM)

So I still see no video evidence provided. Until you do I won't believe. Sorry.

Btw. If the republican community organizers are mobs, and the dems grassroots are community organizers, does that make the man YOU guys voted for a MOBSTER?

More retarded rhetoric:

The U.K.'s National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) basically figures out who deserves treatment by using a cost-utility analysis based on the "quality adjusted life year."

One year in perfect health gets you one point. Deductions are taken for blindness, for being in a wheelchair and so on.

The more points you have, the more your life is considered worth saving, and the likelier you are to get care.

Professor Hawking was born, raised in and resides in the UK.

From Investors Business Daily. If that's the quality of their reporting, I'll do the opposite of whatever investment advice they give.

just a curious question...

can't the town hall organizers insist that the only ones allowed in, are those who actually live in the District? That would keep 90% of those disrupting things, out.

Just show proof of residence in the District.. electric bill, ID, voter registration ID, etc.