Healthcare reform

kapkomet

A quote from my Grandma yesterday:

"He (Obama) is just going to let me die... not get me the medicine I need. I dont worry about me. I worry about you and your parents when you are my age"

Nothing like old fashioned "scare the elderly" tactics.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In 1978, Congress amended the Internal Revenue Code by adding section 401(k), whereby employees are not taxed on income they choose to receive as deferred compensation rather than direct compensation.[2] The law went into effect on January 1, 1980,[2] and by 1983 almost half of large firms were either offering a 401(k) plan or considering doing so.[2] By 1984 there were 17,303 companies offering 401(k) plans.[2] Also in 1984, Congress passed legislation requiring nondiscrimination testing, to make sure that the plans did not discriminate in favor of highly paid employees more than a certain allowable amount.[2] In 1998, Congress passed legislation that allowed employers to have all employees contribute a certain amount into a 401(k) plan unless the employee expressly elects not to contribute.[2]

In the mid-1980s, there were fewer than 8 million participants with less than $100 billion of assets in 401(k) plans.[3] By 2006, there were seventy-million participants with more than $3 trillion of assets in 401(k) plans.[3] There were 438,000 companies sponsoring 401(k) plans in 2003.[2]

A primary reason for the explosion of 401(k) plans is that such plans are cheaper for employers to maintain than a defined benefit pension for every retired worker. With a 401(k) plan, instead of required pension contributions, the employer only has to pay plan administration and support costs if they elect not to match employee contributions or make profit sharing contributions. In addition, some or all of the plan administration costs can be passed on to plan participants. In years with strong profits employers can make matching or profit-sharing contributions, and reduce or eliminate them in poor years. Thus 401(k) plans create a predictable cost for employers, while the cost of defined benefit plans can vary unpredictably from year to year.

I really believe the 401k, not social security, killed the employer pension plans.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)

"He (Obama) is just going to let me die... not get me the medicine I need. I dont worry about me. I worry about you and your parents when you are my age"

Wow...what do you say to that? Although, I'm sure her parents said the same thing to her. That's what the generations do. And honestly, our generation has a good chance of being screwed out of Social Security benefits that we've paid into our whole working lives.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
Wow...what do you say to that?

I could have tried, but it wasnt worth the effort. I've learned to know when people are stuck in there opinions and wont budge. She's a HUGE Palin fan... that's all you really need to know.

And honestly, our generation has a good chance of being screwed out of Social Security benefits that we've paid into our whole working lives.

She mentioned that too. I could have gone on about how the GOP has spent more time trying to destroy SS rather than fix it, but I just let it go.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
Mine doesn't either - that kinda sucks, I really wish it did

Yeah then we could start paying more for a service that has actually decreased in price since it came to the market. Free markets do not work though.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
Yeah then we could start paying more for a service that has actually decreased in price since it came to the market. Free markets do not work though.

Free markets work without greed. Unfortunately, greed usually wins.

Wow...what do you say to that? Although, I'm sure her parents said the same thing to her. That's what the generations do. And honestly, our generation has a good chance of being screwed out of Social Security benefits that we've paid into our whole working lives.

Soc Sec is fine, and will be for quite some time. Those fears are overblown.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
Free markets work without greed. Unfortunately, greed usually wins.

Actually, greed is what makes it work. You just need to make sure there are laws to keep certain things in check. But greed is part of what makes capitalism and free markets work well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
Actually, greed is what makes it work. You just need to make sure there are laws to keep certain things in check. But greed is part of what makes capitalism and free markets work well.

Greed breaks it. Wanting to succeed without going overboard is what makes it work. I mean really, who needs more than one boat.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
Greed breaks it. Wanting to succeed without going overboard is what makes it work. I mean really, who needs more than one boat.

I completely disagree. Greed and ambition is a big part of what made the US the global monster economically. Yes, it ALSO created its many flaws. But greed is good for the economy.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
Well it makes no sense. That's not even beating a dead horse, it's beating a horse that isn't there anymore because it disappeared.

It makes sense because they can accuse people who vote against the amendment as voting to fund the great bogeyman of ACORN.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
First fully post-vote legitimate poll (not an internet poll) by a major polling organization, Gallup, now shows 49% like the bill, and 40% do not. The rest are apparently undecided.

And it will probably get more popular as things start kicking in. The whole repeal movement is baffling.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 11:37 AM)
First fully post-vote legitimate poll (not an internet poll) by a major polling organization, Gallup, now shows 49% like the bill, and 40% do not. The rest are apparently undecided.

+/- 4% I believe, as well.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
Two things

1) What does that have to do with HCR?

2) What is supposedly wrong there? She's not required to get parental consent, so I wouldn't expect medical professionals to neglect their duties.

As a parent, I'd be furious too. But, as far as the law goes, looks like the school didn't do anything wrong.

The kid has some 'splainin' to do.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)

Its a ridiculous thing that this is allowed to exist the way that it does. If the kid were taking a tylenol, or going on a field trip to the park, they would need parental permission for both, but because it was an abortion, they get a free pass for both a medical procedure and leaving campus. Amazing.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)

That reminds me of right after Obama was elected President. My wife is a nurse and a retirement joint. Some lil old lady tells my wife..." Now all white people are going to be slaves and have to work the fields". It still baffles me how easily people get scared of new things....

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
Its a ridiculous thing that this is allowed to exist the way that it does. If the kid were taking a tylenol, or going on a field trip to the park, they would need parental permission for both, but because it was an abortion, they get a free pass for both a medical procedure and leaving campus. Amazing.

:notworthy

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
The mom signed a consent form for medical care.

There should be limits. I would think an operation would be one. And I wonder who paid for the abortion?

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)

There should be limits. I would think an operation would be one. And I wonder who paid for the abortion?

There are limits to what a simple consent form like this allows.

For example, if a student were in a serious accident, just because a parent signed a consent form doesn't give them the consent to enact DNR. The same would go for operations and other surgery's, like abortions, which can lead to infections and even accidental death as a result. Certain medical decisions are not made via a simple consent form. If they did, nobody would sign them, and for good reason.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)

The state doesn't require any consent for this specific procedure from anyone but the patient.

eta it would be no different than her going to Planned Parenthood on her own.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
The state doesn't require any consent for this specific procedure from anyone but the patient.

eta it would be no different than her going to Planned Parenthood on her own.

What a cosmopolitan society we live in that 15 year olds can make decisions about surgical procedures without their parents knowledge. I wonder if it would be good for the school to call home to let the parents know that Becky is going to be late because her appendectomy ran past 7th period. Oopps, can't let the parents know about that. You know that 15 year old is definitely entitled to their privacy being a adult and all.