• Fish
    • Bird
    • Rodent-Hamster/Gerbil/Mouse/Rat
    • Reptile-Lizard/Turtle/Iguana/Snake
    • Ferret
    • Farm Animals
    • Other
    • No pets

I know there are a lot of animal lovers here on ST. I'm thinking about picking up a Black Lab puppy sooner rather than later.

Currently, I have 2 ferrets. Cool dudes. They sleep 18 hours a day and are litter trained, so they are pretty low maintenance ... most of the time . Other times, they steal my ipod,blackberry, shoes, keys etc. :lolhitting

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been a pet person. I bought my mom a miniature Dodson that is awesome though. I love playing with her when I go by my moms house. They are just too much to take care of for myself atleast.

Go to an animal shelter and rescue an animal. They do have puppies, but you may also find a dog there a year old or so that you fall in love with. I am glad my home owners association has a limit on the amount of dogs you can have, otherwise my wife, son and occasionally myself, who volunteer at the Plainfield Humane Society,would end up bringing home half the animals we see! We have 2 beagles, both rescue dogs. Sometimes they take work, like our older dog. Her previous owners beat her and yelled at her, which made housetraining very heard. The slightest raising of your voice sent her quivering and peeing. but now she is the sweetest dog around, loves everyone and everything.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
I have never been a pet person. I bought my mom a miniature Dodson that is awesome though. I love playing with her when I go by my moms house. They are just too much to take care of for myself atleast.

LMAO, you are awesome

2 doggies.

1 is a (we think) great dane/lab mix that a friend's mother found abandoned in a field. She's giant (about 85 pounds) and the sweetest cutest dog in the world.

The other is a cairn/boston terrier mix. She is a holy terror and very ugly. I found her when she was a stray, took her to the pound and then ended up adopting her because of some behavioral problems she was going to get put down. She still finds all kinds of trouble (or creates it), but she's also really the funniest dog I have ever seen. And, sometimes she can be a really nice snuggle/lap dog. But only on her terms.

I used to have a cat, but she kind of hated me. Attached me in my sleep one night and bit me repeatedly. So, she lives with my parents now (my dad is the cat whisperer) and we all are happier for it.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)

:D

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
Go to an animal shelter and rescue an animal. They do have puppies, but you may also find a dog there a year old or so that you fall in love with. I am glad my home owners association has a limit on the amount of dogs you can have, otherwise my wife, son and occasionally myself, who volunteer at the Plainfield Humane Society,would end up bringing home half the animals we see! We have 2 beagles, both rescue dogs. Sometimes they take work, like our older dog. Her previous owners beat her and yelled at her, which made housetraining very heard. The slightest raising of your voice sent her quivering and peeing. but now she is the sweetest dog around, loves everyone and everything.

I commend you for doing the shelter route. My next dog will absolutely be one from a local shelter.

As for my current dog, it is a blue merle Shetland Sheepdog (named Dennis, haha). I know it's my dog so i'm biased but he's a beautiful looking dog. I'll post a picture when I'm home.

P.S. I'm a huge advocate of giving dogs common people names like Steve, George, Kyle etc...

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
I used to have a cat, but she kind of hated me. Attached me in my sleep one night and bit me repeatedly. So, she lives with my parents now (my dad is the cat whisperer) and we all are happier for it.

This is one of the best paragraphs i've read.

:lol:

We have fish, 2 cats, and one dog. We rescued our dog from the shelter - had him home for one day and discovered he had Parvo. So the shelter said they would take him back but they would put him down - we said no way. Had to spend a lot of money at the vets, but 4.5 years later he is the best dog... he's around toddlers and babies and he adores them - very gentle nature, but very active at the same time. He's a Heeler/Akita mix, beautiful dog.

And a few assorted creepy crawlers who like to think they're pets in our house. :angry:

After we had to put down our 12 year old miniature American Eskimo, my family adopted a rat terrier mix from the Anti-Cruelty Society. His name was Max, but my sister renamed him Charlie as soon as we adopted him.

A few days had gone by, and we thought we had such a quiet dog since he had yet to bark. He was pretty calm. Since then, he doesn't stop, ha. He loves to bark and run around A LOT.

We've had him for over a year now. He is the sweetest thing when he is tired, and he's a good boy most of the time, but he then gets into these biting fits where he doesnt want to stop. A quick squirt from a water bottle stops him, though.

But yes, i agree....adopt!!! Those dogs (or other animals) need a home where they can be loved, and not locked in a cage.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
My wife and I volunteer for a pug rescue group. We have 6 ourselves. Plus 3 cats. No kids so it works out lol

I'm sorry, did you just say you have SIX PUGS?!?!

How do you hear your wife or Sox games with all the snorting???

BTW, I have an inherited cat. Long story, but he's a great cat. Oh yeah...and a 13 month old toddler that eats everything and craps his pants.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 02:29 PM)
I'm sorry, did you just say you have SIX PUGS?!?!

How do you hear your wife or Sox games with all the snorting???

BTW, I have an inherited cat. Long story, but he's a great cat. Oh yeah...and a 13 month old toddler that eats everything and craps his pants.

Well them making it hard to hear the wife isn't a bad thing lol. I am so use to them now I don't hardly notice the snorting... the farting however yikes hehe

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)

What, I figured you love cats.

I have a mini dachsund named Pete. We have a chain of hot dog joints here in Alabama called Sneaky Pete's, that's where I got the idea for the name, since he's a weenie dog. He's an awesome dog, got the heart of a lion, smart as can be. My wife and I adore him and he loves us back just as much.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
Mine is descented

Exactly what I mean.

It's "descented" to you -- but the rest of the human world can smell that thing from 50 miles away, regardless of gimmicks, surgery, medicines, or otherwise. :D

Edited by Y2HH