Official Buyer or Seller Thread

GreatScott82

Buyer of Seller or perhaps Both?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. The White Sox are below .500 but are only 4 games behind Detroit for the division lead. Will the White Sox BUY or SELL before this year's trade deadline?

• Buy. KW will take advantage of the weak AL Central by going for it once again.
    • Sell. KW understands the future is much more important than one last crack at it with our aging veterans. Goodbye Dye, Dotel and Contreras!
    • Both. KW is too stubborn to not go for it and get younger at the same time. He will trade away some of the veterans, but also make some trades that could help us this year and the future Sox.

Rosenthal

We are just 3.5 games out with how bad our team has been. Detroit seems to be falling apart before our eyes. Does KW dare to buy? If KW were to go ahead and get a bat. Who would you like him to pursue?

Everyone knows the guy I want KW to get is Freddy Sanchez. He would be a perfect #2 hitter and would solidify our lineup. You could then move Alexie down in the order where he should be.

What do you guys think?

Personally i wouldn't mind if he did sell, but with the state of the AL Central, why not try and be stubborn and win it again?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think were sellers but that doesn't mean we don't buy in some areas. Whatever Kenny does I think it will be geared more towards the long-term future of the club than the short-term.

Freddy Sanchez doesn't sound bad and he's a good hitter, but he's going to be 32 years old next year and I believe he's owed a good chunk of money. That said, I think the Sox will trade some players but at the same time target another player or two and no matter what they do I still expect them to "contend" for the AL Central because of the strong rotation.

You see where you are in the standings at the All Star break. If they're within 5 games at the break and a .500 team, you go for it, especially if the starting pitching is putting up consistent quality starts until then. You can't sell off right now.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Freddy Sanchez has an $8 million option for next year. You figure PK and AJ come off that year also. He would help us with the rest of this year and be apart of a competitive younger team next year.

Exept that he's going to be 32. Than again Figgins, the guy I figure we'll sign next year, is also getting up there in age. If the Sox buy, I expect them to be buying a leadoff hitter (as Fathom pointed out).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
The last thing we need to do is acquire an infielder. I really think finding a leadoff hitter for next year would be the best acquisition, but that won't happen with Pods on the team right now.

I agree with finding a leadoff hitter. But Sanchez would be the perfect 2 hole hitter for the next year and a half. Honestly i would much rather have him over Figgins and it would be for a much shorter term. You could try and aqcuire your leadoff hitter this winter. Right now Pods is doing a decent job on the cheap.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:57 PM)
I agree with finding a leadoff hitter. But Sanchez would be the perfect 2 hole hitter for the next year and a half. Honestly i would much rather have him over Figgins and it would be for a much shorter term. You could try and aqcuire your leadoff hitter this winter.

Where in the hell would Sanchez play? We have a perfect #2 hitter on our team, and his name is Gordon Beckham.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
Rosenthal

We are just 3.5 games out with how bad our team has been. Detroit seems to be falling apart before our eyes. Does KW dare to buy? If KW were to go ahead and get a bat. Who would you like him to pursue?

Everyone knows the guy I want KW to get is Freddy Sanchez. He would be a perfect #2 hitter and would solidify our lineup. You could then move Alexie down in the order where he should be.

What do you guys think?

Personally i wouldn't mind if he did sell, but with the state of the AL Central, why not try and be stubborn and win it again?

Freddy would be a great fit, though Getz' bat is coming around.

I still think this team has great potential, and things could come together in the next few weeks and we'll start winning consistently. Or not.

Personally, I'd like to stand pat for the time being, replacing BA with Q in the everyday lineup, if he gets healthy, and otherwise go with today's lineup plus Thome. I don't think KW will sell before mid- July, unless we really tank in the next two weeks. He will, however, try to make an early buy for a stud pitcher (dreams of Haren) or a 2B or 3B, if such becomes available, and his glass is half full. It's a tough call.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
BTW, I would say that Contreras needs to be traded last Saturday. I'd also like to see the Sox acquire a solid righty bullpen arm that will be here next year.

I think Count gets dealt with Poreda sliding into the rotation and we'll see the Sox go with that the rest of the way. They'll evaluate there guys and than make a decision as what to do in the off-season (ie, if they feel that Clayton and Poreda are starters or if they need to find some, plus whether Gavin and Danks are front of the rotation guys).

I also think you'll see guys like Link and Omogrosso get there opportunity at the big league club but the Sox might also make a deal or two for arms that they like which are raw and need to be honed. Basically some projects that have failed at the major league level.

Bottom line I see the Sox shedding some payroll in an effort to create roster spots for current season development as well as get a bit of a prospect return (although I expect us to get very few upper echelon prospects, if any), and of course more financial flexibility to acquire an every day player for this year and beyond as well as go out and make some free agent or international signings.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
Where in the hell would Sanchez play? We have a perfect #2 hitter on our team, and his name is Gordon Beckham.

Beckham's not ready for the #2 slot yet. Sanchez would likely play 2b. It would most likely cost Getz to bring him over.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Freddy Sanchez has an $8 million option for next year. You figure PK and AJ come off that year also. He would help us with the rest of this year and be apart of a competitive younger team next year.

I'm not willing to pay Sanchez 8 million in expense of Getz. I think that would be a long-term mistake and 8M should go to an impact bat or fill a major need position (ie, leadoff spot). We have enough guys that can slide into the 2 spot, imo (Ramirez, Slayer, Getz).

it's hard to tell, cause the division is so bad.

Is there any way to be both? Cut the dead weight for nothing and maybe make a splashy trade of someone unexpected (like a Konerko/Dye/Thome) that nets a good return.

That is where you have to hope that Kenny can somehow find a way to get a nice piece. That said, the even tougher part is you also have Danks slated for CF so its going to be interesting. Hopefully Getz hits down the stretch and it allows a top of the order of Getz/Beckham and than the Sox can find a way to pick up another outfielder or something.

It isn't going to be easy. I really hope the Sox kids pan out in a hurry cause we got a nice looking rotation long-term.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
BTW, I would say that Contreras needs to be traded last Saturday. I'd also like to see the Sox acquire a solid righty bullpen arm that will be here next year.

You're quite possibly right, fathom. Tomorrow night's performance by Jose may be rather large in the scheme of things. At least a few GM's will be watching Jose closely. If he has another great performance, his trade value escalates further, but if KW is convinced we now have four solid starters, he'll look at Det/Minn and say "hell no, we're not packing it in". Whether, we agree with him or not, I think that's his nature. If the Titan reverts to mediocrity, it might be a missed opportunity, but I'd guess that most GM's are waiting to see one or two more performances first.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
That is where you have to hope that Kenny can somehow find a way to get a nice piece. That said, the even tougher part is you also have Danks slated for CF so its going to be interesting. Hopefully Getz hits down the stretch and it allows a top of the order of Getz/Beckham and than the Sox can find a way to pick up another outfielder or something.

It isn't going to be easy. I really hope the Sox kids pan out in a hurry cause we got a nice looking rotation long-term.

You have to take into consideration that Dye's option will most likely not be picked up. However he may return as our DH. So that leaves RF and CF open for improvement. So if they decide to let Danks run with it in CF next year awesome, you still have RF to potentially fill. I would love Carl Crawford- even as our leadoff hitter. Its too bad they weren't out of contention, because i would LOVE for KW find a way to bring him over. A Quentin-Danks-Crawford OF going forward would definitley work.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
How about finding a RF for next year, and then basically narrowing down between Dye and Thome who you want to play DH next season?

Excellent idea. Having a good long-term corner outfielder to go with Quentin and Danks with Anderson in a backup role (unless he totally explodes down the stretch). You than keep one of Dye and Thome and try to negotiate to get one of them back. If we lack left handed power go with Thome, if its righties go with Dye.

Than you see if Getz/Beckham/Ramirez look legit and if they are your infield is set and two of those guys are atop your order with danks lower in the order and you still have a pretty good middle of the lineup consisting of your RF/Quentin/Thome or Dye/Paulie (or if you make a trade, you could have Brandon Allen with Flowers getting ocassional at bats).

Bottom line is its still a pretty solid lineup with a lot more speed and some upside.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
You have to take into consideration that Dye's option will most likely not be picked up. However he may return as our DH. So that leaves RF and CF open for improvement. So if they decide to let Danks run with it in CF next year awesome, you still have RF to potentially fill. I would love Carl Crawford- even as our leadoff hitter. Its too bad they weren't out of contention, because i would LOVE for KW find a way to bring him over. A Quentin-Danks-Crawford OF going forward would definitley work.

Completely agree. On a sidenote, excellent discussion you've started!!!!!