Official Buyer or Seller Thread

GreatScott82

Buyer of Seller or perhaps Both?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. The White Sox are below .500 but are only 4 games behind Detroit for the division lead. Will the White Sox BUY or SELL before this year's trade deadline?

• Buy. KW will take advantage of the weak AL Central by going for it once again.
    • Sell. KW understands the future is much more important than one last crack at it with our aging veterans. Goodbye Dye, Dotel and Contreras!
    • Both. KW is too stubborn to not go for it and get younger at the same time. He will trade away some of the veterans, but also make some trades that could help us this year and the future Sox.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless KW can do something like he was trying to do with the Peavy deal...find a major piece that can help us for 3+ years, I don't see us buying anything. Not with the minor league depth we suddenly have.

I'd be interested in being a seller...but I don't want our team to be the California Housing Market - I'd rather take my chances on a hot streak at the end of the season than sell for little return.

Wonder if anyone would be interested in Podsednik if he keeps hitting like this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
Unless KW can do something like he was trying to do with the Peavy deal...find a major piece that can help us for 3+ years, I don't see us buying anything. Not with the minor league depth we suddenly have.

I'd be interested in being a seller...but I don't want our team to be the California Housing Market - I'd rather take my chances on a hot streak at the end of the season than sell for little return.

Wonder if anyone would be interested in Podsednik if he keeps hitting like this.

I think Pods and Contreras both have a lot of value to another team right now. Long-term, probably not, but down the stretch if they play like this they'll be valuable assets on a contender.

Oh and after thinking more, I think getting a Corner OF bat would be the best option outside of picking up a front of the rotation arm. But if you get that big corner OF bat to go with Quentin you really do have to get rid of two of Paulie/Dye/Thome or are at least best suited doing that. I say that because you can than utilize the DH and 1B spot to rotate plenty of AB's between Flowers (some of his AB's coming at C)/Allen/Viciedo/Veteran. Depending on how much you believe in Viciedo/Allen, you might be best off going with Thome since you can sign him to a one year deal, however, Dye is a darn solid hitter and still has tons of power and as a whole is a better bet to stay healthy. Dye also strikes out more though and Thome's OBP would be very value added as the lineup would be changed significantly and his power presence would be nice (thats right, I'm supporting Thome for the moment).

That could be a nice looking offense that is able to win yet still have developmental slots for guys like Allen/Flowers/Viciedo/Danks with 2 of the youngsters being very protected as Flowers would have AJ as protection and our 1B/DH spot would have a veteran as protection in a sense (Protection that starts a lot).

I could consider getting rid of Fields and Wise PERMANENTLY (I don't mean, like, killing them) from the White Sox Organization a plus and almost like buying without buying.

And I mean out of the organization, none of this sent down s***, I dont want to risk seeing them if someone goes on the DL.

Call up Ward to back up Paulie. He's at least had MLB experience and can give you some pop off the bench and is a lefty.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 12:17 AM)

If you do bring him back, just don't give him a contract extension during the year. One leg injury, and we know what happens with him. I'd really rather not though bring him back with the idea of making him our leadoff hitter.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
Like who?

Here is the list of Free Agent RF this offseason

Abreu, Bobby

Brown, Emil

Dellucci, David

Dye, Jermaine

Guerrero, Vladimir

Huff, Aubrey

Jones, Jacque

Kapler, Gabe

Kearns, Austin

Nady, Xavier

Ordonez, Magglio

Pena, Wily Mo

Sheffield, Gary

Stairs, Matt

Kearns has a club option. Ordonez has a club/vesting option. Dye has a mutual option that won't be picked up.

Some other names could be available who currently aren't playing RF but could be moved there, including: Holliday, Bay, Russell Branyan, etc.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
I could consider getting rid of Fields and Wise PERMANENTLY (I don't mean, like, killing them) from the White Sox Organization a plus and almost like buying without buying.

And I mean out of the organization, none of this sent down s***, I dont want to risk seeing them if someone goes on the DL.

Call up Ward to back up Paulie. He's at least had MLB experience and can give you some pop off the bench and is a lefty.

I think with Fields you try to package him for an arm that has failed at the big league level that has big league stuff. Maybe you send Konerko to the Giants for Sanchez (whose stock has really dropped). Gives you cash and a projectable arm and than the Sox can try to swing Fields, Sanchez and a top prospect (I should point out if we get that big name RF, we'd likely see one of our top prospects go plus other pieces) for a RF that we like.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
If you do bring him back, just don't give him a contract extension during the year. One leg injury, and we know what happens with him. I'd really rather not though bring him back with the idea of making him our leadoff hitter.

I mean as a trade-bait piece right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
Here is the list of Free Agent RF this offseason

Kearns has a club option. Ordonez has a club/vesting option. Dye has a mutual option that won't be picked up.

Some other names could be available who currently aren't playing RF but could be moved there, including: Holliday, Bay, Russell Branyan, etc.

The Sox could make a run at Holliday in a trade, but they'd have to ink him to a big contract. Not a bad idea cause I think Holliday is a darn nice looking piece and a middle of the order bat. That said it isn't in Boras style to sign extensions following a trade.

Holliday is the most available piece though. But what about the Justin Uptons of the world or maybe Crawford does become available because the Drays decide to cut costs a bit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
For some reason, I have a feeling Vlad will be our DH next season. Last time I said something like this, it was about Carlos Pena being our 1B in 2006. Oops!

He's struggled but I'd be on board with Vladdy because I still think he'll be able to hit. I just think he needs an off-season with rest and be willing to be a full time DH. Only to a shorter term deal though.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 12:39 AM)
It would be awesome just because he is still the coolest player in baseball, but from a baseball standpoint, I probably pass.

And we could finally present him with his World Series ring for 2005 for contributions to the Sox. I still tear up at the ceremonies for Tony Graffanino and Dimitri Young.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
And we could finally present him with his World Series ring for 2005 for contributions to the Sox.

From a PR standpoint Vladdy it is a good move, especially if we have traded key veterans this year. Vladdy is the type of signing that shoudln't hurt the franchise and gives us a nice veteran bat in the middle of the order. Not an elite bat but still a good bat and he'd be a great DH, imo.

Keeping Dye makes a lot of sense too. See if you can get him to agree to another 2yr extension with a club option at 14-16M with some incentives and a couple M buyout for the 3rd year option.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
You're quite possibly right, fathom. Tomorrow night's performance by Jose may be rather large in the scheme of things. At least a few GM's will be watching Jose closely. If he has another great performance, his trade value escalates further, but if KW is convinced we now have four solid starters, he'll look at Det/Minn and say "hell no, we're not packing it in". Whether, we agree with him or not, I think that's his nature. If the Titan reverts to mediocrity, it might be a missed opportunity, but I'd guess that most GM's are waiting to see one or two more performances first.

Jose can throw a no hitter in each of his next 2 starts. If the Sox don't pick up most of the money left on his contract, he's not tradeable unless the Sox take back a big contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
Jose can throw a no hitter in each of his next 2 starts. If the Sox don't pick up most of the money left on his contract, he's not tradeable unless the Sox take back a big contract.

Hmm thats a thought. Similar to the Loaiza-Contreras trade of 2004. I wonder if there are some interesting 5th starters on an NL contender with tremendous upside?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
And they aren't going to pay it.

I think a team pays it (based upon his last two starts) but the question is what does the team give the Sox and the answer is probably very little. That said I might be wrong because if teams think Jose's back, well they might give up a lot more than I expected, but I doubt it and your probably right (well to an extent cause I do think if you put Jose on waivers today someone claims him, thus meaning someone would be willing to trade him).

Just my 2 cents though.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)
I don't agree.

They could have had him for nothing a month ago. If he's lights out, the White Sox are trying to win, they will keep him. If he struggles, no one is picking up his contract. Rosenthal had an article last week that no one could afford Dye. They aren't going to go for Contreras unless the money is even and if that's the case, I really don't know what the benefit of trading him really is. We see the upside the last two starts.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
They could have had him for nothing a month ago. If he's lights out, the White Sox are trying to win, they will keep him. If he struggles, no one is picking up his contract. Rosenthal had an article last week that no one could afford Dye. They aren't going to go for Contreras unless the money is even and if that's the case, I really don't know what the benefit of trading him really is. We see the upside the last two starts.

If true than your right. I still think what rosenthal is saying is that no one that can afford Dye is also willing to give up the type of prospect(s) it would take to make the Sox willing to move him.