Official Buyer or Seller Thread

GreatScott82

Buyer of Seller or perhaps Both?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. The White Sox are below .500 but are only 4 games behind Detroit for the division lead. Will the White Sox BUY or SELL before this year's trade deadline?

• Buy. KW will take advantage of the weak AL Central by going for it once again.
    • Sell. KW understands the future is much more important than one last crack at it with our aging veterans. Goodbye Dye, Dotel and Contreras!
    • Both. KW is too stubborn to not go for it and get younger at the same time. He will trade away some of the veterans, but also make some trades that could help us this year and the future Sox.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
If true than your right. I still think what rosenthal is saying is that no one that can afford Dye is also willing to give up the type of prospect(s) it would take to make the Sox willing to move him.

He made it sound like if some team were able to scrap up the money, no legit prospect would also be a part of a package. He could be wrong, but I really thing financial restraint is going to occur this deadline, although the Tigers surprisingly are now said to be willing to take on money. Illich is willing to take a bath to get a shot.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To those of you who follow the minor league prospects, just a question:

What do you think the Sox could get for Tyler Flowers, or a package of Flowers along with a Getz or a Fields? I know most don't want to even consider trading a guy like Flowers, but I'm just wondering what kind of value does he have at this point.

Would a guy like Flowers be able to land us that stud outfielder (say a Hunter Pence) or a top line pitcher? Just wondering.

Sellers? Maybe if back by 8-10 in July. Certainly would be CRAZY to sell off now. Last thing Sox want is piss off Sox fans and steer them toward Cutler-fied Bears, resurrgent Bulls & Blackhawks or even Cubs by pulling off a perceived White Flag II-point-O.

Then again, momentum-crushing losses like today's certainly don't help the overall mood of JR and K-DUb. Damnit, .500 was well within range.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:46 PM)
I don't agree.

I'm with you Tony. A team like the Phillies or Brewers will be desperate and pony up. They're both going to need pitching to seriously contend.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
To those of you who follow the minor league prospects, just a question:

What do you think the Sox could get for Tyler Flowers, or a package of Flowers along with a Getz or a Fields? I know most don't want to even consider trading a guy like Flowers, but I'm just wondering what kind of value does he have at this point.

Would a guy like Flowers be able to land us that stud outfielder (say a Hunter Pence) or a top line pitcher? Just wondering.

Interesting. Might depend on how much they love Phegley, and if they think he could possibly be ready in 2011?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
Flowers has been put into the same category as Beckham in terms of trade value, at least by the organization.

He won't get moved unless it's just a mega deal.

I understand that. My question therefore is what kind of value do you think he has to other teams? If the Sox did trade him, what kind of return would they get? Could they get a stud outfielder or a top of the rotation type pitcher or a top flight third baseman for him? Or do the Sox value him considerably higher than how other teams see him?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
I think were sellers but that doesn't mean we don't buy in some areas. Whatever Kenny does I think it will be geared more towards the long-term future of the club than the short-term.

Freddy Sanchez doesn't sound bad and he's a good hitter, but he's going to be 32 years old next year and I believe he's owed a good chunk of money. That said, I think the Sox will trade some players but at the same time target another player or two and no matter what they do I still expect them to "contend" for the AL Central because of the strong rotation.

I agree with this assessment. While we might "buy", the player we will be adding won't be for just one year and will be someone who can help us in the future as well as now. That's why Peavy made some sense because even if we don't win this year, he's still only 27-28 and can be a big help in the future. Haren is a possibility and maybe even Matt Holliday if we feel we can resign him after the season.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dotel traded or Dye.

On another note, I have been hearing and reading that Houston Street will be on the block and that the Rockies will likely get as much value, if not more value than what they got for Holliday. If Street has that much value, I really wouldn't be oppossed to traded Jenks if we can get a couple stud prospects in return.

Also, I wouldn't mind putting Paulie on the DL for a while and calling up either Allen or Flowers to play 1B (probably Allen because we probably want Flowers to focus on catching, and we'd probably prefer a lefty bat to platoon at 1B with Fields). With his hand the way it is, Paulie isn't helping the team as it's obvious he's struggling to swing the bat with any authority and he's all out of sorts at bat. Hopefully this can be cleared up for 2010, because I feel 2010 could be a huge year for us if we do everything right regarding trades and free agency.

Also, anyone else think Poreda is a lock to be traded. He has a ton of trade value and quite frankly, I highly doubt we go with 4 lefties in the rotation.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Also, I wouldn't mind putting Paulie on the DL for a while and calling up either Allen or Flowers to play 1B (probably Allen because we probably want Flowers to focus on catching, and we'd probably prefer a lefty bat to platoon at 1B with Fields). With his hand the way it is, Paulie isn't helping the team as it's obvious he's struggling to swing the bat with any authority and he's all out of sorts at bat. Hopefully this can be cleared up for 2010, because I feel 2010 could be a huge year for us if we do everything right regarding trades and free agency.

Also, anyone else think Poreda is a lock to be traded. He has a ton of trade value and quite frankly, I highly doubt we go with 4 lefties in the rotation.

I love Brandon Allen and I hope to see him up here if Paulie does end up on the DL.

You might be right about Poreda. Hahn commented how calling up Poreda was foolish about a week or two before he was called up. Plus Kenny already tried to trade him once. He hasn't been used regularly either. We might be showcasing him.

I’d like to clear room for guys like Brandon Allen, and buy young, underrated talent. Guys like Brandon Wood and Homer Bailey. I want KW to take risks, I want to get younger, I want to experience the glory of Danks, Floyd and Quentin all over again. I recognize guys like Freddy Sanchez and Chone Figgins as talents, but I’m not interested in either of them. We need to look towards the future, the future is now.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
I’d like to clear room for guys like Brandon Allen, and buy young, underrated talent. Guys like Brandon Wood and Homer Bailey. I want KW to take risks, I want to get younger, I want to experience the glory of Danks, Floyd and Quentin all over again. I recognize guys like Freddy Sanchez and Chone Figgins as talents, but I’m not interested in either of them. We need to look towards the future, the future is now.

Homer Bailey underrated? Here's his BA rankings:

Prospect Rankings*

2005 - #48 ranked MLB

2005 - #1 ranked for CIN

2006 - #38 ranked MLB

2006 - #1 ranked for CIN

2007 - #5 ranked MLB

2007 - #1 ranked for CIN

2008 - #9 ranked MLB

2008 - #2 ranked for CIN

If anything, considering his major league performance, he's overrated if you ask me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
If anything, considering his major league performance, he's overrated if you ask me.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who've given up on him. It's not out of the question to buy low for a guy who dominates the minors, but can't get over the major league hump. It’s eerily similar to the Gavin Floyd situation.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
This is probably the correct answer. However, I don't think that needs to be taken in a bad light. Given the Sox catching situation, Flowers just fits in very nicely. From all reports, his bat is ready, but needs some defensive seasoning. I believe where he is at as a player is on the track the Sox want him to be on.

He takes all of 2009 in the minors, gets some time with the big club in September, then backs up AJ in 2010. Once AJ,Flowers has somewhere between 200-300 major league AB's, has a feel for the MLB game, and can take over starting in 2011.

All along scouts have said if he can stay behind the plate and provide adequate D, he should make a few all star games along the way.

I don't know if the Sox would value Flowers a lot higher than other organizations would. Teams generally go nuts over catchers with his kind of bat.

I'd definitely deal him though if we can get something really good in return (specifically SP), assuming we don't think his bat will fit at 1B or DH. I just don't like the idea of replacing AJ's defense with more AJ-like defense plus less ability stopping wild pitches and less experience calling games.

I'd love to get Yadier Molina here and would definitely overpay for him, but I highly doubt he's available for a price we'd be willing to pay.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
You'd be surprised at the number of people who've given up on him. It's not out of the question to buy low for a guy who dominates the minors, but can't get over the major league hump. It’s eerily similar to the Gavin Floyd situation.

Considering they wouldn't trade him for Jermaine Dye, I don't think he's available to buy at a discount.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 03:09 AM)
You'd be surprised at the number of people who've given up on him. It's not out of the question to buy low for a guy who dominates the minors, but can't get over the major league hump. It's eerily similar to the Gavin Floyd situation.

His stuff sucks now. 91 mph and no command of offspeed pitches. Rumors that he was using PEDs while he was in high school also (people would be shocked at how many high schoolers fall into this category).

Get Tejada to play third base and move Beckham to 2B to stay. I believe Tejada will be a type A free agent so his departure would help restock the organization with a prospect since they would likely trade a prospect or two in acquiring him.

Also get an upgrade over Wise as a fifth outfielder.

The Sox would be insane to offer Tejada arbitration with his $13-14 million salary this year. They got lucky with Cabrera and these players aren't going to turn down a guaranteed $10 million.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox acquire the former roider to play third for the rest of year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 11:12 PM)
His stuff sucks now. 91 mph and no command of offspeed pitches. Rumors that he was using PEDs while he was in high school also (people would be shocked at how many high schoolers fall into this category).

Bailey has had starts since coming back from Cincinnati, in that span Bailey's given up 3 runs in 37 1/3 innings an ERA of 0.72. He's struck out 31 in that span while only walking 8. In his last start Bailey went 8 shutout inning and struck out seven outpitching one of the better Orioles prospects, Jake Arrieta. His minor league line is now:

2009 Season

Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO GO/AO AVG

LOU INT 7 5 2.83 13 13 2 1 0 82.2 81 32 26 9 25 74 0.95 .256

if that stuff sucks I'd like more of it.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
It's the International League. Wes Whisler dominated that league.

Homer Bailey has added a splitter to his repertoire and is now throwing 97 with his two-seamer. Also, Tyler Flowers was caught for PEDS when he was younger. He's off them and dominating the minors. Would you care to admit that maybe you're wrong about Bailey? Maybe he's figured it out?

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 04:22 AM)
Homer Bailey has added a splitter to his repertoire and is now throwing 97 with his two-seamer. Would you care to admit you're wrong now?

How come every time Bailey's promoted, his fastball is a good 5-6 mph slower than is being reported in the minors? He's just an overhyped prospect that might need a change of scenery, and considering how much it would cost to get him, I hope it's not in Chicago.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)

Where would we play Wood? Our IF is set if we keep Viciedo at 3B: Viciedo-Ramirez-Beckham-Allen with Flowers at C. Quentin in one corner, Danks in CF. Our open spots are at SP, DH, and one OF spot.

I think we should be targeting top-end SP prospects and one toolsy OF who can play RF very well but also cover CF in case Danks takes longer than we expected.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
How come every time Bailey's promoted, his fastball is a good 5-6 mph slower than is being reported in the minors? He's just an overhyped prospect that might need a change of scenery, and considering how much it would cost to get him, I hope it's not in Chicago.

The kid’s a head-case. Who overthrows when he hits the majors. I imagine having Dusty Baker as his coach can’t help.