Official Buyer or Seller Thread

GreatScott82

Buyer of Seller or perhaps Both?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. The White Sox are below .500 but are only 4 games behind Detroit for the division lead. Will the White Sox BUY or SELL before this year's trade deadline?

• Buy. KW will take advantage of the weak AL Central by going for it once again.
    • Sell. KW understands the future is much more important than one last crack at it with our aging veterans. Goodbye Dye, Dotel and Contreras!
    • Both. KW is too stubborn to not go for it and get younger at the same time. He will trade away some of the veterans, but also make some trades that could help us this year and the future Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
I still say some of you are in a dream world regarding Jose. He's not going to bring anything decent in return. I give him credit for his performance of late. But No GM is going to give up anything but crap for him. At this point, I wouldn't mind a trade or two but Jose isn't going to bring us squat.

Look at the Brewers rotation. You telling me they wouldn't love to get Contreras? If Contreras keeps pitching like he has, hell, even like he did last night, we'll be able to get something for him. The Brewers could really use a pitcher like Contreras and they might be willing to give up struggling prospect Jeremy Jeffress.

Edited by BearSox

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do people really believe that a few starts that's come after 3 years of mediocrity by a really, really old guy who's had health issues has much of a trade market? Or are we just hoping that some team is dumb/desperate enough to give us anything of legitimate value for a guy that really has no value?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 08:59 PM)
Do people really believe that a few starts after 3 years of mediocrity by a really, really old guy who's had health issues really has much of a trade market? Or are we just hoping that some team is dumb/desperate enough to give us anything of legitimate value for a guy that really has no value?

Dumb enough and just a lack of other arms available.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
Cool. I'm fine with that. Just please don't act like Jose has legitimate trade value or that teams should be knocking down Kenny's door in an attempt to get a deal done.

More than anything, he just makes sense to a team like Milwaukee. I don't think anyone's expecting a huge return for him. Like I mentioned above, more to maybe save a few million and open up another spot in the rotation once this team falls out of it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
More than anything, he just makes sense to a team like Milwaukee. I don't think anyone's expecting a huge return for him. Like I mentioned above, more to maybe save a few million and open up another spot in the rotation once this team falls out of it.

Well when I see names like Mat Gamel and Jeremy Jeffress mentioned it seems like some do expect a better than average return. It's not happening.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)
Well when I see names like Mat Gamel and Jeremy Jeffress mentioned it seems like some do expect a better than average return. It's not happening.

The Gamel stuff is just crazy. Jeffress, on the other hand, sounds like the type of guy KW would target.

This is pretty simple to me. The Sox are a below .500 team, and don't appear to be making progress on getting over that hump. That's sort of a barameter. None of these teams are very good, the Sox will probably continue to stay anywhere from 3 - 6 GB most of the season, but, they have to give Kenny Williams a reason to believe that they can make a run espeically considering there's probably no impact player that they can acquire who's going to lead this team out of the hole it's digging.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Look at the Brewers rotation. You telling me they wouldn't love to get Contreras? If Contreras keeps pitching like he has, hell, even like he did last night, we'll be able to get something for him. The Brewers could really use a pitcher like Contreras and they might be willing to give up struggling prospect Jeremy Jeffress.

Kudos to Jose for pitching well during his last three starts, but we've seen this before. Jose hasn't pitched well for even half half of a season since 2006. If somebody wants to ignore this and take him off our hands, that would be great. But I don't see it happening. I don't believe that any GM is going to give us anything substantial in return.

This is pretty simple to me. The Sox are a below .500 team, and don't appear to be making progress on getting over that hump. That's sort of a barameter. None of these teams are very good, the Sox will probably continue to stay anywhere from 3 - 6 GB most of the season, but, they have to give Kenny Williams a reason to believe that they can make a run espeically considering there's probably no impact player that they can acquire who's going to lead this team out of the hole it's digging.

Also how many games do we have to play at Minnesota? We aren't going to suddenly win series in the dome.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
Texas can send us a huuuuuge pile of cash and Michael Young for Dotel.

Explain this one to me. He's batting about .315 with 10 HR for Texas, and they are playing well. I understand that they can use more pitching, but why would they make a move like this?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
Also how many games do we have to play at Minnesota? We aren't going to suddenly win series in the dome.

True., chances are we will continue to struggle there.

The White Sox need to go on a run where they win 10 of 12, 11 of 14, something to give Williams a reason to make a move.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 08:55 PM)
Kudos to Jose for pitching well during his last three starts, but we've seen this before. Jose hasn't pitched well for even half half of a season since 2006. If somebody wants to ignore this and take him off our hands, that would be great. But I don't see it happening. I don't believe that any GM is going to give us anything substantial in return.

Agreed. He'd have to be very good for the next month or so. Chances are that won't happen, and he'll revert back to the guy who gives up 7 ER in 4 IP in every other start. Not to mention he is making good coin, and so a team will have to pay for the rest of the season. Even if the Sox were able to trade him, that would probably mean that the White Sox haven't made a run, and the return for him would be small.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
True., chances are we will continue to struggle there.

The White Sox need to go on a run where they win 10 of 12, 11 of 14, something to give Williams a reason to make a move.

this is probably the key. it's hard to justify a deal when you are sub-.500 as we've been for most of the year. if you get over .500 and stay there for a week or two, i can see a deal. but every time we've been close to that mark this year we've swooned.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 10:47 AM)
Explain this one to me. He's batting about .315 with 10 HR for Texas, and they are playing well. I understand that they can use more pitching, but why would they make a move like this?

Because, they have more hitters than quality pitchers.

Young was the odd man out in the offseason.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
Because, they have more hitters than quality pitchers.

Young was the odd man out in the offseason.

So they'll move their starting 3B and 3 hitter for a decent middle reliever? Sounds a bit, how you say, dumb to me.

Yeah, they'd probably jump at an opportunity to unload Young's contract (he's averaging about 12 million for the next 4 years). However, he seems like the type of guy you move in the offseason, not when you are in a division title race.

Edited by BearSox

I am not exactly thrilled with Quentin being out longer than expeted, with Linebrink being a glorified Rick White (2003) and with both Konerko and Dye losing their top form as soon as something starts hurting (wrist and calf respectively).

That said, come on, barring some one-sided offers for Contereras, Dotel and Co....how can anyone think this team needs to be blown up 3-4 games back of Detroit....?

Dan Bernstein just says things to get rise out of people. Pure sillyness.

I'm reminded of all the Sox fans who were in love with Aaron Miles 6 years or so ago when we traded him for Uribe.

You would have thought their dogs had been killed.

Ramirez will be the starting SS next season. Due to his age, his arm, his contract, superior range to Beckham...too many factors to list. When you can put up an OPS of 700-850 at that position (and possibly improving with a higher BB rate) for the contract he has, you'd be very silly to trade him unless you could get something better than Homer Bailey or Bowden in return.

If you're going to trade someone to get a "potential" starting pitcher, put together a package with Jenks, Fields, Anderson or Shelby.

Viciedo's not going to be traded when the largest portion of his contract was the signing bonus for this year. We control his rights for 6 seasons in the "prime" (actually pre-prime) of his career at ages 21-26. Will he be the next Miggy Cabrera? Probably not, but trading away either Alexei or Dayan seems far-fetched.

The jury is still out whether Getz can be a full-time starter at 2B. Maybe...if we get stronger contributions from 3B (Beckham) and the outfield (that means you Brian Anderson, for about 4 years running).

As far as trading Jenks, we've done quite well with "bargain" or suspect closers over the last 10-15 years. In fact, you could argue our worst closer was Koch, and he had the highest amount of expectations.

Look at the backgrounds of Howry, Foulke, Takatsu, Hermanson, etc. They still could try Thornton (skeptical), Poreda (skeptical). Then there's the likes of Omogrosso or Santeliz, Nunez...I think we could get a serviceable closer (maybe not a 85% conversion rate, but 70-80% perhaps) out of the minors and the contributions by bolstering the starting rotation over time would compensate and overcome the loss of Bobby. That and the fact that his salary was one of the biggest bargains in baseball his first 3 years with the Sox, now it's close to becoming a liability if we are really looking for areas to slash payroll going forward.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
Viciedo's not going to be traded when the largest portion of his contract was the signing bonus for this year. We control his rights for 6 seasons in the "prime" (actually pre-prime) of his career at ages 21-26. Will he be the next Miggy Cabrera? Probably not, but trading away either Alexei or Dayan seems far-fetched.

Actually I'd say 6+ years. Depends on when he comes up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
Ramirez will be the starting SS next season. Due to his age, his arm, his contract, superior range to Beckham...too many factors to list. When you can put up an OPS of 700-850 at that position (and possibly improving with a higher BB rate) for the contract he has, you'd be very silly to trade him unless you could get something better than Homer Bailey or Bowden in return.

The jury is still out whether Getz can be a full-time starter at 2B. Maybe...if we get stronger contributions from 3B (Beckham) and the outfield (that means you Brian Anderson, for about 4 years running).

Agreed. No way we trade Missile or Tank. Keeping them together is good for both, especially with Jose likely departing next year. Besides, we want to stay on the good side of Jaime Torres going forward.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
Actually I'd say 6+ years. Depends on when he comes up.

If he comes up at 22 and takes a year to adjust to MLB pitching, then he's got a good 11-12 years in his prime, and maybe even a bit more as a guy who can move to 1B or DH later on if need be. Viciedo can be a great hitter for a very long time.

Hopefully it all works out for him and the Sox both. I still want more Cubans though.