Official Buyer or Seller Thread

GreatScott82

Buyer of Seller or perhaps Both?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. The White Sox are below .500 but are only 4 games behind Detroit for the division lead. Will the White Sox BUY or SELL before this year's trade deadline?

• Buy. KW will take advantage of the weak AL Central by going for it once again.
    • Sell. KW understands the future is much more important than one last crack at it with our aging veterans. Goodbye Dye, Dotel and Contreras!
    • Both. KW is too stubborn to not go for it and get younger at the same time. He will trade away some of the veterans, but also make some trades that could help us this year and the future Sox.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
And what do you suppose we will be giving up to get him?

I would guess it would take something like Fields, Poreda, and Jordan Danks....

For a end-of-season rental to a team that is out of the running, that's a ridiculous price to suggest to get Matt Holiday. On the other hand, the Sox just don't make this kind of trade. The only guys they have traded for have been players they intend to keep. I'm sure they expected to keep Swisher, for example, but they just weren't happy with him. So, I disagree with both the idea of trading for Holiday, and the price.

The other factor about Holiday? He's shown a considerable post-Colorado-move-to-the-AL drop off in his stats. His current OPS is .805, down from .947 last year in Colorado.

I don't think there's any chance we're going after Matt Holiday.

I think what Kenny has been waiting for is the prognosis on Carlos Quentin. Recent reports suggest he may return, if not before the All-Star break then right after. I think KW expects the addition of Quentin, plus steadily increasing production out of Beckham and the warm-weather emergence of Ramirez will give the Sox enough offense to compete in the second half.

Beyond that, what will we be trying to buy? I'm not sure it will be much. Our bullpen is solid. The starting staff is good enough. If Contreras struggles, they may move Poreda into the rotation. They key to us competing is improving our offense. But what can you do? I was all for getting Nate McLouth, and still think it would have been a good deal. But there aren't many guys like that available. And I just don't see the Sox making many infield moves from outside the organization. They want to give the young guys a chance to improve.

I also don't see us as sellers unless someone makes us an offer we can't refuse. Dotel, who is often mentioned as out of here, has been quite valuable in our pen. Take him out and we're an inning thinner out there. With Dotel, Linebrink, Thornton, and Jenks, plus Carrasco and now Poreda (if they'd use him), we're very deep. But if you take out Dotel then it's not so easy to cover the 7th-9th.

There's no way we're trading Jermaine Dye or Jim Thome. I expect both will be back next season if they are willing to sign for less than they are making now. Dye is our best hitter. We've got no one who can replace his bat in the minor leagues. The guy is #1 in HR for outfielders over the last several years. Best in baseball. Where are we going to replace that? I expect another 2-year deal in the offseason.

Thome? He's going to keep going until he gets past 600 HRs I think, and I'm sure he'd love to do it for the Sox. People talk about these minor league players we have as if they can replace Thome. Are you kidding? Look at Getz, Fields, Beckham, Anderson. Can any of these guys hit? Only one of them may ever be a major league hitter, and he's certainly not up to the produciton of Jim Thome, and probably never will. It's going to take him a while. If you dump Thome and Dye, the Sox offense would be zilch.

The one guy who could be replaced is Konerko, but he has no-trade protection, so he's likely to stay through his contract.

I think KW would like to deal to help the club, but I don't expect him to do much, and certainly not until the prognosis on Quentin is clearer.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The surprising play of Pods has lessened the need for top CF. I think the Sox ride out this year with Quentin in LF, Pods in CF, and Dye in RF. If they are in it, and likley will be, the only possible moves i could see are trading for a top end of the rotation starter or maybe making another run at Brian Roberts. Getz may have a nice future,maybe not, but a guy like Roberts inserted into 2b would look awfully nice in this lineup.

CF-Pods

2b-Roberts

RF-Dye

DH-Thome

1B-Konerko

LF-Quentin

C-AJ

SS-Alexei

3B-Beckham

that's a pretty strong lineup

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 01:30 AM)
Making absolute zero sense in the process....

1. Nothing has happened to assume Quentin won't play the rest of the year. A post all star game return should be expected. Him staying healthy after that is anyones guess, but assuming Quentin is gone for the rest of the year is nothing more than a guess by you, seeing as no time tables given by the White Sox suggest that.

2.Kenny trading young, valuable pieces for a 3 month stop gap. Again, just because they haven't come out and slapped you in the face with a rebuild project, that is what is currently happening to the team. Trading away pieces to that rebuild project for a guy guaranteed to test the free agent market isn't a receipt for long term success. And two draft picks aren't as value for guys like Poreda and Hudson.

3. You want Williams to trade for a player that has backed up all the Holliday doubters by posting an .800 OPS this season, his first out of Coors. I know because you saw him for 3 games against the Sox you fell in love, but he has been a slightly above average major league OF at this point, and still is going to command a hefty price not only at the deadline, but once he becomes a free agent.

The only major deal Williams should make is one that will include a player that can fit into the core for the next few years. I fully expect him to be looking for that, but if it doesn't present itself, the Sox will most likely stand pat, see what they can do with what is currently on the roster and in the system, and continuing developing for the next few years, when they actually should be contenders.

+1 Tony. There isn't a single word of this post that I don't agree with.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
Mark Teahan.

Good call on Teahen. After DeRosa got traded, I started thinking how much the Sox could have used a player like that. Teahen is similar, only younger and probably harder to acquire. But he can play corner OF, 3b, and maybe a little 2b (or you can just play him at 3B and move Beckham to 2b). He would be a huge upgrade in the lineup over the Anderson/Wise platoon or Getz.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 07:09 AM)
The surprising play of Pods has lessened the need for top CF. I think the Sox ride out this year with Quentin in LF, Pods in CF, and Dye in RF. If they are in it, and likley will be, the only possible moves i could see are trading for a top end of the rotation starter or maybe making another run at Brian Roberts. Getz may have a nice future,maybe not, but a guy like Roberts inserted into 2b would look awfully nice in this lineup.

CF-Pods

2b-Roberts

RF-Dye

DH-Thome

1B-Konerko

LF-Quentin

C-AJ

SS-Alexei

3B-Beckham

that's a pretty strong lineup

Last year i would have loved Roberts, but he just signed a 4 year deal i believe and he is in his 30's. I think Freddy Sanchez makes a lot more sense, he has an 8 million option for 2010 and then he is a free agent. You figure guys like Konerko and AJ will be free agents after 2010 also, so adding another veteran to the mix short term wouldn't hurt the youth movement at all. Out of our new young core (Beckham, CQ, Ramirez, Floyd, Danks and Getz) I think Getz is the one expendable guy. Sanchez makes too much sense for our lineup. .

QUOTE (DaGame2584 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
According to this the Blue Jays may trade Alex Rios to save money to sign Doc Holliday. Thoughts?

I heard Gammons talking about this on BBT. He'd be somebody if you had a chance to get, you'd have to seriously look into it IMO.

Here's his contract status:

Rios gets $5.9 million in 2009, $9.7 million in 2010, $12 million each in 2011 and 2012 and $12.5 million apiece in 2013 and 2014.

Toronto has a $13.5 million team option for 2015 with a $1 million buyout. He has a complete no-trade provision for 2009 and 2010, and a limited no-trade after that in which he can block trades without his consent to six teams.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 05:43 AM)
+1 Tony. There isn't a single word of this post that I don't agree with.

Holliday might fit into the core though, if the Sox think they can resign him. One of the positions the Sox will have to fill is the corner OF spot. Danks is damn good prospect but not a sure thing and he'll get handed one of the OF spots, Quentin will be in the other, and than there is the open spot when Dye moves to the DH spot. The only thing is we'd probably be targetting a left handed hitting corner outfielder to replace Thome's lefty bat in the lineup.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
True., chances are we will continue to struggle there.

The White Sox need to go on a run where they win 10 of 12, 11 of 14, something to give Williams a reason to make a move.

How bout a 10-4 stretch? Would that work? Time to make a trade for Pujols! Do you think the cards might want Gobble?

Rios is a solid player but he's never put up ridiculous numbers and his contract is pretty significant in this economy. The only way I'd do this move is if the Sox felt they had a contract that was a hinderance to them. We can't throw Paulie out there, although I would take Rios over Konerko because of Rios ability to play good defense in the OF, although Konerko is the better hitter. However, the Sox could probably send Linebrink and some change for Rios. The thing is, the Sox would be taking quite the chance, especially since money is coming off the books and you could probably do a lot better than Rios. However, Rios has tools and should see his power numbers improve by moving to the Cell.

I'd be all over the 2006/2007 Rios. So bottom line, I just don't see where this deal makes financial sense to the Sox.

If the Sox could get in a 3 way deal they might be able to get Andre Ethier in a deal that gives the Dodgers and additional starter. The key would be having the right package of youngsters to offer the team giving up the starter. I'm higher on Ethier than most but out of all the Dodgers outfielders he's the one they'd be most willing to move to bolster there rotation and with Manny coming back the Dodgers wouldn't mind upgrading there rotation with Ethier all while opening up a spot for Pierre to continue to play (Juan Pierre has been f***ing ridiculous this year).

I really like Ethier too.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
The one thing the Sox don't have right now is a franchise damning contract. In this economy, one bad deal can really hamper the plans of the team. Rios in his later years is getting paid like a franchise player, yet over the last two years has put up numbers similar to a decent 6 hole hitter.

Rios totally fits what the Sox I'm sure are looking for, but the deal is just awful.

His Contract is a deal breaker. Ethier fits the bill but again the only way the Dodgers give him up is if they can get Cliff LEe or that sort of pitcher. Only way we get in is if the 3rd team prefers prospects and the Dodgers don't have the right combination of prospects to get the deal done and the Sox do.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
If the Sox could get in a 3 way deal they might be able to get Andre Ethier in a deal that gives the Dodgers and additional starter. The key would be having the right package of youngsters to offer the team giving up the starter. I'm higher on Ethier than most but out of all the Dodgers outfielders he's the one they'd be most willing to move to bolster there rotation and with Manny coming back the Dodgers wouldn't mind upgrading there rotation with Ethier all while opening up a spot for Pierre to continue to play (Juan Pierre has been f***ing ridiculous this year).

I really like Ethier too.

I love Ethier and would love to get him in a similar trade that happened last year with Bay, Ramirez, etc. Also, he'd make the decision of Dye or Thome a lot easier as he would replace the left handed bat we'd be missing with Thome.

Also, you make good points. Out of of their top 4 young position (Martin, Loney, Kemp and Ethier) players, Ethier is likely the one they'd be most willing to trade. Also, there's no getting rid of Juan Pierre and his contract, and he's been playing great for them. And they got Manny for next year at 20 million, and I wouldn't be surprised if he resignes with LA again after 2010 (if he keeps on producing like Manny) as they seem to be the perfect fit for him. Plus, their top prospect Lambo will be knocking on the door soon. Also, moving Ethier would likely mean moving Kemp to RF, but I think it's a likely scenario that Kemp will likely have to move to RF. From what I've seen, he doesn't seem to get good enough jumps or reads to be a good CF. Another guy on the Dodgers I'd look at is Blake DeWitt

And if we want to make a trade with the Jays, the guy I would try and get is Rolen. Rolen has been playing great for them, but there's no doubt at this point that the Jays want to clear salary anyway possible. It'd be unrealistic to expect Rolen to keep doing what he has been for the Jays, but he's shown when he's healthy, or close to it, he can still be a very solid player. He still plays a good 3B, and while he doesn't have the power he once has, he's still a very good overall hitter. Plus, I was surprised to see how athletic he still is and how he still moves decent for his age and injury history.

If we could get him plus some money for the rest of this year and next year, that'd be fantastic. We could move Beck to 2B, and he'd be a great option at 3B while he wait for Viciedo to develop.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:24 PM)
How bout a 10-4 stretch? Would that work? Time to make a trade for Pujols! Do you think the cards might want Gobble?

I don't think I ever suggested the Sox would be able to trade for Gobble for Pujols. I'm not sure what you're talking about. I only said the Sox need to go on a roll so that Kenny Williams would have a reason to become a buyer, not a seller. Keep fishing though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)
His Contract is a deal breaker. Ethier fits the bill but again the only way the Dodgers give him up is if they can get Cliff LEe or that sort of pitcher. Only way we get in is if the 3rd team prefers prospects and the Dodgers don't have the right combination of prospects to get the deal done and the Sox do.

Thome's contract was a deal breaker for the Phillies, coming off his horrible injury season of '05, but the Phils ate half of the deal, so it got done. It can happen.

I wonder if the Angels might be willing to move Howie Kendrick in the offseason. While he is loaded with talent, he's been very frustrating for them. He's shown sparks and showed why some think one day he might be a batting champion, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and this year he's really struggling for them.

I would love it if we could buy low on him.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
I wonder if the Angels might be willing to move Howie Kendrick in the offseason. While he is loaded with talent, he's been very frustrating for them. He's shown sparks and showed why some think one day he might be a batting champion, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and this year he's really struggling for them.

I would love it if we could buy low on him.

Look how long they've held onto Wood, Morales and Kendrick. Before that, they were very stubborn about parting with either McPherson or Kotchmann. And they could have gotten at least something for Willits when he had his one statistically anomalous season at the big league level.