Official Buyer or Seller Thread

GreatScott82

Buyer of Seller or perhaps Both?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. The White Sox are below .500 but are only 4 games behind Detroit for the division lead. Will the White Sox BUY or SELL before this year's trade deadline?

• Buy. KW will take advantage of the weak AL Central by going for it once again.
    • Sell. KW understands the future is much more important than one last crack at it with our aging veterans. Goodbye Dye, Dotel and Contreras!
    • Both. KW is too stubborn to not go for it and get younger at the same time. He will trade away some of the veterans, but also make some trades that could help us this year and the future Sox.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
Where would we play Wood? Our IF is set if we keep Viciedo at 3B:

3rd. We move Beckham to 2b and make Getz a super-utility guy. When Viciedo is ready we move him (Viciedo) to a corner OF spot.

Edited by Thunderbolt

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
3rd. We move Beckham to 2b and make Getz a super-utility guy. When Viciedo is ready we move him to a corner OF spot.

Okay, but then what players do you trade to take a chance on Wood? The Angels aren't going to take scraps for him, and who do we have on our roster that the Angels would want? They see Arredondo as their next closer, and they have Fuentes now, so I don't think they'd trade for Jenks. Who do we have on our MLB roster that they'd trade Wood for, aside from those core guys we won't give up anyway? I don't think we get Wood unless we start giving up really good prospects that we're already counting as part of our core as it is. I mean, Wood is still only 24 and he just slugged .999 in Triple A, his highest SLG% since he had that break out year that really put him on the map as an elite prospect. He's hardly a buy low/change of scenery guy.

In an ideal world, I'd like for KW to trade what veterans he could to keep along the rebuilding path.

Someone like Contreras for instance who isn't likely to be back next season could net a prospect or 2.

However while the Sox are this close to the AL Central lead, I think KW looks to add a bat.

One name I think KW should take a look at possibly is Mark DeRosa, but of course trades within the division aren't likely.

I think more reasonable targets for a buy low type of thing are guys like Ian Snell, Lastings Milledge, Ian Kennedy if he's out of the Yankees plans, maybe Chien Ming Wang as was suggested here before, etc. Get someone who won't cost us Beckham/Allen/Flowers/Viciedo/D1/D2/CQ/Floyd/Alexei/Poreda who also fits in a spot where we can play him. Either get a SP, because IMO taking starts from either Richard or Count isn't going to hurt us long term, or get an OF that we can play over Pods/BA in the OF.

I have not read any of this thread, but we have been sellers all season. It's time guys. This current team is nowhere near a championship, and thus, need to sell anything not tied down. If someone was stupid enough to give you anything for Pods/Contreras/Konerko/Thome do it immediately. I think Dye, Jenks, and Dotel have some decent value where a "bidding war" could happen, for lack of a better term.

I definitely WOULD NOT be a buyer. We have a lot of young talent, and trading some of it away to try and win a mediocre division this year is a bad move in my opinion, since our current veteran core is on it's last legs. I think one of three things wll happen:

1. Keep the band together, win the division, and see what happens in October and beyond.

2. Trade some veterans, not win the division, set up to try and win most likely in 2011 when some of our young guys will be ready to roll along with some of our young veterans like Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and Alexei.

3. Keep the band together, not win the division, and perhaps hurt ourself in the long term as well by getting nothing for Dotel, Dye, etc.

I'd be happy with scenario 1 or 2 happening, but I fear scenario 3 is what will happen.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 04:50 AM)
I think more reasonable targets for a buy low type of thing are guys like Ian Snell, Lastings Milledge, Ian Kennedy if he's out of the Yankees plans, maybe Chien Ming Wang as was suggested here before, etc. Get someone who won't cost us Beckham/Allen/Flowers/Viciedo/D1/D2/CQ/Floyd/Alexei/Poreda who also fits in a spot where we can play him. Either get a SP, because IMO taking starts from either Richard or Count isn't going to hurt us long term, or get an OF that we can play over Pods/BA in the OF.

Ian Snell is horrible. Maybe KW can trade the farm for Josh Johnson (farm is everyone but Flowers). I still think acquiring a righty reliever like Cla Meridith would be a good acquisition.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)
Ian Snell is horrible. Maybe KW can trade the farm for Josh Johnson (farm is everyone but Flowers). I still think acquiring a righty reliever like Cla Meridith would be a good acquisition.

I'd love to get someone with Johnson's stuff, but you gotta wonder how long that elbow is gonna last.

As for Medidith, why even bother? He's mediocre and I see no reason to give up anything for him unless he's a part of a bigger package.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
3rd. We move Beckham to 2b and make Getz a super-utility guy. When Viciedo is ready we move him (Viciedo) to a corner OF spot.

Why would we trade for a slightly less bad version of Fields? Wood has the same problems as Fields, he can't hit a major league fastball.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 02:02 AM)
Why would we trade for a slightly less bad version of Fields? Wood has the same problems as Fields, he can't hit a major league fastball.

Josh Fields have three times as many plate appearances as Brandon Wood at the big league level. He also doesn't have nearly as much pop or the ability to field two premiere positions like SS and 3b.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 01:08 AM)
Josh Fields have three times as many plate appearances as Brandon Wood at the big league level. He also doesn't have nearly as much pop or the ability to field two premiere positions like SS and 3b.

1.) Their pop is about equal. Wood put up bigger numbers in the minors, but Fields hit over 20 homers in slightly over 1/2 season of play. However, neither knows how to effectively use their power at the MLB level.

2.) Wood ain't much of a defender either and putting him at SS would be a scary scenario.

3.) Neither are good major league hitters and I don't know why you'd want either.

You have to look at our needs by position for 2010

1B - Paul Konerko

2B - Alexei Ramirez

3B - Dayan Viciedo

SS - Gordon Beckham

LF -

CF - Brian Anderson

RF - Carlos Quentin

C - AJ Pierzynksi

DH - Jermaine Dye

Looking at the starting 9, it would appear that left field is our only problem we need plugged for 2010 and if Viciedo isn't MLB ready next season or Fields is given another chance and fails then I would guess that Bacon can play there, or Kenny can go with his guy Figgins via free agency if the Angels don't resign him or he does not go to another team. So who's available for Left in 2010? Who's available that can lead-off in 2010? and those two questions are what KW needs to address IMO for the line up

For the 2010 rotation the only one I see set in stone for now is Buerhle, Floyd and Danks. Richard has put together some good starts but he needs to prove consistency, and if he does slot him in, but that still leaves us with one potential spot, who goes their? Some Peavy, Oswalt, Webb ace type pitcher, some kid from the minors or some overpaid, over the hill, one year free agent signing?

After 2010, Dotel is allowed to walk vai free agency, but I would not have a problem with another 1 or 2 year deal, we still have Linebrink, Jenks (with arbitration), Thornton, DJ Carsco. Whether or not we lose Dotel, I would like to see KW sign JJ Putz to a one or two year deal, Putz isn't the greatest by any means, but he's a reliable arm we can use as set up. So I would like to see the pen as Jenks, Putz, Linebrink, Dotel, Thornton and Carasco. Thats 6 arms in the pen we can rely on without having to worry about Gobel, or another Mike MacDougle.

The bench will probably have Getz, Fields, Castro, Lillibridge, Wise (Ozzie loves his guys). No doubt not the best, but I guess it all can't all be flawless

So the checklist for 2010 is Lead off Hitter, Left fielder, front line starting pitcher (or at least one that's reliable), bullpen arm, bench depth. Can he fill the holes for 2010 and improve 2009? Hard to say, If he gets another reliable starter that will defiantly help the 2009 Sox.

Edited by whitesox901

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 05:03 AM)
You have to look at our needs by position for 2010

1B - Paul Konerko

2B - Alexei Ramirez

3B - Dayan Viciedo

SS - Gordon Beckham

LF -

CF - Brian Anderson

RF - Carlos Quentin

C - AJ Pierzynksi

DH - Jermaine Dye

I really doubt Anderson will be our everyday CF next year. If anything he will continue to be our 4th OF. I truly believe Jordan Danks patrols CF next season (have to remember we are slowly getting younger and younger). Quentin could definitley move to RF and platoon DH with Dye next season, but he could also stay in LF and the Sox could aqcuire an established OF like Crawford to patrol RF.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 06:17 AM)
I really doubt Anderson will be our everyday CF next year. If anything he will continue to be our 4th OF. I truly believe Jordan Danks patrols CF next season (have to remember we are slowly getting younger and younger). Quentin could definitley move to RF and platoon DH with Dye next season, but he could also stay in LF and the Sox could aqcuire an established OF like Crawford to patrol RF.

The CQ to right idea might hit a snag because of his foot.

Am I the only one that looks at baseball like football currently.

The Yankess should have been swept at home by the Nats becasue they couldn't hit.

I am not sure whether to be buyers or sellers but other then the aforementioned Nats, O's, and Padres, every team has a shot at winning it all.

I am not trading Jose to save money as they did with Durham.

One of the problems I see with the Sox is the younger guys have not stepped up as expected/anticipated. The top players on the team (OPS) are Thome, Dye, Konerko, AJ, and Pods with Quentin being injured.

Players like Ramirez, Anderson, Getz, and Fields have somewhat under-performed. Most of the guys that they replaced are doing better elsewhere (besides Cabrera).

If you look at pitching, it's basically the same thing. Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, and Carrasco have outpitched most of the young guys out of the bullpen.

So this puts the Sox in a really delicate position. If you sell some of the only guys that are producing, and the younger guys don't step up, you are worse off than you were to begin with.

With that, I think the Sox are in the buyer's mode until they are least 10 games out (before the deadline). Even then, they may make 1 or 2 moves, but I don't think they will be huge deals.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 04:03 AM)
The bench will probably have Getz, Fields, Castro, Lillibridge, Wise (Ozzie loves his guys). No doubt not the best, but I guess it all can't all be flawless

I don't see Lilli, Wise or Fields as part of next year's picture at all. They'll all be gone - replaced by youngsters, or through trades between now and April '10.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 02:15 AM)
3.) Neither are good major league hitters and I don't know why you'd want either.

As of today, Brandon Wood has had 9 more AB's (192) then Chris Getz at the major league level. Josh Fields have 500 more AB's then Wood. That's a nice sample size to use to say that someone can't hit at the major league level. You know how many AB's Carlos Quentin had before coming to Chicago? 395. That guy turned out to be a bust, didn’t he?

Edited by Thunderbolt

If the sox are either buyers or sellers, I don't think the lineup for 2010 would be greatly affected. No one is going to trade a leadoff hitter, and the sox have internal options that are near major league ready for other spots. I could see the sox be buyers if it means trading away young talent for proven vet, talent that would be around for a few years. Or the sox trade position player young talent near major league ready for pitching that is near major league ready, or vice versa. Say Poreda for an OFer that is near the bigs. Or Vicedo for pitching near ready for the bigs.

A guy like Dotel could be a major chip, that could give the sox 2 good prospects but not major building peices. The major building peices seem in the system.

2010 Lineup:

Paulie-1b, [brandon Allen, 2011]

Getz-2b.

Beckham-3b, 2009 and 2010

Alexei-SS

AJ-C, 2010; Flowers, 2011

Quentin-RF

That leaves:

*sign Chone Figgins for LF [also provides insurance in case of injury for 3b, 2b, CF]; also lets the sox bring in young players to hit near the bottom of the order, having Figgins hit leadoff for the next 4 years;

*Jordan Danks/ Brian Anderson-CF

*DH-Dye, re-signed to a lesser deal/ Flowers/ Allen/ Dayan Viceido;

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
As of today, Brandon Wood has had 9 more AB's (192) then Chris Getz at the major league level. Josh Fields have 500 more AB's then Wood. That's a nice sample size to use to say that someone can't hit at the major league level. You know how many AB's Carlos Quentin had before coming to Chicago? 395. That guy turned out to be a bust, didn't he?

The Angels have been hyping up Wood for the past 5 years and he hasn't done s*** at the major league level. I've seen plenty of him and he can't hit major league pitching. He's a minor league all star but a major league dud.

Carlos Quentin was a completely different situation because while he produced and showed a lot of promise for the DBacks, he couldn't stay healthy and they traded him for a pretty good prospect in Chris Carter. Way different scenarios.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
I don't see Lilli, Wise or Fields as part of next year's picture at all. They'll all be gone - replaced by youngsters, or through trades between now and April '10.

I agree...at least I hope. I could see Wise still here because of Ozzie's love for the guy, but Fields pretty much has to be gone, and Lillibridge is not MLB ready.

Also, Ramirez is really starting to piss me off at SS. His head is not in the game or he thinks he's the greatest player ever. All year he's made a bunch of boneheaded plays. Sure, he makes the great play every so often, but that's not gonna help us when he throws away a ball to 1B, drops a feed at 2B because he's scared of getting hit, etc. I don't know if he has no baseball IQ (he's a great natural ball player, but he's probably the dumbest guy on the team regarding baseball), thinks he's the greatest s*** ever out there, or has his mind on something else, but he's becoming a liability out there. If we didn't have PK at first, Ramirez would have had a ton of throwing errors because of that stupid lob toss he does.

I love Alexei and all the potential he has, but he's awfully frustrating at times...

Brandon Wood can hit fastballs. Brandon Wood can not hit anything else. He is not like Josh Fields (who can't hit a fastball), except that both are going to be enormous busts. I dont' mind seeing if a change of scenery does Wood good but there are plenty of other guys I'd rather acquire, especially since we have Beckham and Viciedo that can play 3B.

Defensievly Wood/Fields/Viciedo are all below average.