Official 2009-2010 NBA Thread

It'll be interesting to see what they do in the off-season with VDN, especially if they do sneak into the 8th spot in the East.

I know Avery Johnson was mentioned on here a while back, I read a rumor the other day saying that if Shinn sells his majority stake in the hornets, the new owners want to bring in AJ to replace Bower as head coach.

The Nets are after Coach K, and if they don't get him, they'll probably make a big money offer to Jeff Van Gundy also.

I've always thought Tom Thibodeau deserves a head coaching job, and now's probably the right time for him to bolt from Boston.

Byron Scott's another guy who's probably going to be after a head coaching job (maybe in Detroit if they can Kuester).

And Philly's going to fire Eddie Jordan it seems, so there'll be a lot of openings around the league it seems.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 06:40 AM)
In my mind the Bulls lost the chance to go to the playoffs last night. There was no excuse for them to come out that flat, that unorganized, that sloppy. They EXPECTED Milwaukee to lie down for them because Bogut was out, and had no idea what they wanted to do.

Any time Deng wants to make a shot after the first quarter will be fine by me.

And if anything should get Vinny fired, the last minute of the game last night should. 7.3 seconds left, and you have Brad Miller drive to the hoop when you are down 3 points? And whats with all the embarrassing defensive switching done during the game? Noah guarding Salmons? Taj closing out on 3 point shooters? They deserved to lose.

I am willing to bet money that wasn't how it was drawn up. Everyone was waaaaaaaaaaay to lost looking for that to be what Vinnie wanted. Brad Miller was looking to pass on both plays.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 08:51 AM)
Not surprised. Pissed off. Vinny should of been canned around Christmas when he was supposed to be

As long as he is canned...and soon...I don't know there would have been much benefit to doing it at X-mas. Weren't going to find a better coach for these 4 months at christmas time. We'd more likely have been stuck with another Jim Boylan fiasco.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
As long as he is canned...and soon...I don't know there would have been much benefit to doing it at X-mas. Weren't going to find a better coach for these 4 months at christmas time. We'd more likely have been stuck with another Jim Boylan fiasco.

Bernie Bickerstaff at least has had multiple head coaching jobs so he has experience, which Boylan did not.

And I think there could of been a benefit, there have been plenty of games that all of us b****ed about that were winnable games, but it came down to coaching as the reason that they were lost.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
Everyone close to the team indicates that Del Negro is gone once the season ends and I'm sure that is what will happen. I just don't know who they will hire.

Quite simply...they can't do worse than last time. It's fundamentally impossible. Even with how important this offseason is...even if they screw up the coaching search, it can't wind up worse than last time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Quite simply...they can't do worse than last time. It's fundamentally impossible. Even with how important this offseason is...even if they screw up the coaching search, it can't wind up worse than last time.

I disagree strongly. They could do a lot worse. Look at the Detroit Pistons and John Kuester. They were infinitely worse this season and they have a roster that rivals ours for most of the season. Minnesota didn't improve much at all either, but they are learning the triangle, so I will cut them some slack. We have seen a lot worse in these parts with guys like Boylan and Floyd. The Illini's ex head coach before Bill Self came along who's name escapes me stunk the place up in Atlanta. You could do infinitely worse with all the injuries and flaws on this roster. There's a reason why even Jeff Van Gundy said the Bulls are expecting too much out of Del Negro when he's coaching a team that has talent to win no more than 30 games. It was the truth.

And to put it in even more perspective, the Bulls have never hired a veteran coach other than Scott Skiles in their entire team history. And even then, Skiles coached like 2 seasons with PHX, so I wouldn't call him a vet.

Last, but not least, there's no clear upgrade whatsoever out there other than maybe Doug Collins who JR won't hire. Everyone can speculate such and such would be better. There's no proven case out there though. Unless you want Avery Johnson telling Derrick to slow down the ball and him have to look at the sidelines to get every play from AJ.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
I am willing to bet money that wasn't how it was drawn up. Everyone was waaaaaaaaaaay to lost looking for that to be what Vinnie wanted. Brad Miller was looking to pass on both plays.

Some people don't understand that though. People think the talent is there for the Bulls to be better. It definitely isn't this year with Ben gone, the injuries, the trades made. It's too much to reel from and the only reason why the Bulls are competing for a spot is because of Philly's inexcusable case of suck.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 10:35 AM)
Bernie Bickerstaff at least has had multiple head coaching jobs so he has experience, which Boylan did not.

And I think there could of been a benefit, there have been plenty of games that all of us b****ed about that were winnable games, but it came down to coaching as the reason that they were lost.

It actually sounded like the didn't fire Vinnie because the team doesn't like Bickerstaff at all.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
Some people don't understand that though. People think the talent is there for the Bulls to be better. It definitely isn't this year with Ben gone, the injuries, the trades made. It's too much to reel from and the only reason why the Bulls are competing for a spot is because of Philly's inexcusable case of suck.

Injuries really killed this team. They could have been a middle seed if guys like Rose and Noah don't get hurt.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
I disagree strongly. They could do a lot worse. Look at the Detroit Pistons and John Kuester. They were infinitely worse this season and they have a roster that rivals ours for most of the season. Minnesota didn't improve much at all either, but they are learning the triangle, so I will cut them some slack. We have seen a lot worse in these parts with guys like Boylan and Floyd. The Illini's ex head coach before Bill Self came along who's name escapes me stunk the place up in Atlanta. You could do infinitely worse with all the injuries and flaws on this roster. There's a reason why even Jeff Van Gundy said the Bulls are expecting too much out of Del Negro when he's coaching a team that has talent to win no more than 30 games. It was the truth.

And to put it in even more perspective, the Bulls have never hired a veteran coach other than Scott Skiles in their entire team history. And even then, Skiles coached like 2 seasons with PHX, so I wouldn't call him a vet.

Last, but not least, there's no clear upgrade whatsoever out there other than maybe Doug Collins who JR won't hire. Everyone can speculate such and such would be better. There's no proven case out there though. Unless you want Avery Johnson telling Derrick to slow down the ball and him have to look at the sidelines to get every play from AJ.

Lou Henson....no wait, Kruger?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
Injuries really killed this team. They could have been a middle seed if guys like Rose and Noah don't get hurt.

If Rose and Noah weren't injured, the Bulls would easily be in the playoffs right now. And not once during that 10 game losing streak did you see the Bulls not try. They didn't win, but at least they didn't give up like a lot of teams would have.

I think Vinny should be retained for a couple reasons

1) Vinny is showing to be maturing as a coach at times. Sure, he still has flaws, but they can be fixed.

2) By all accounts, Rose and Noah really like him, and since those are your two big pieces, appeasing them is a good plan.

3) Who else is out there? Unless Collins and Reinsdorf decide they can have their relationship intact while working together, it won't work.

What I think the Bulls should do is try and get more older assistants, like they did last year, to help Vinny along.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
I disagree strongly. They could do a lot worse. Look at the Detroit Pistons and John Kuester. They were infinitely worse this season and they have a roster that rivals ours for most of the season

Really, you genuinely believe this? I looked at Detroit's roster before the season and thought they looked like a debacle in waiting. They had no size, everything was on the outside, they had zero depth in the frontcourt, and all their backcourt guys are only effective with the ball in their hands.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
Avery Johnson

Paul Silas

Thom Thibodeau

John Kuester

Lester Conner

Tim Grgurich

Eddie Jordan

Mark Jackson

Jeff Van Gundy

I prepared that list of high level, experienced assistant coaches and guys out of work last offseason.

Thibodeau and Scott, who you didn't list, would be my top 2 options. Maybe Mark Jackson, but I'm still iffy.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
Thibodeau and Scott, who you didn't list, would be my top 2 options. Maybe Mark Jackson, but I'm still iffy.

The Celtics should also be out of the playoffs pretty early this year so we don't have to wait until the Finals end for an interview.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
Really, you genuinely believe this? I looked at Detroit's roster before the season and thought they looked like a debacle in waiting. They had no size, everything was on the outside, they had zero depth in the frontcourt, and all their backcourt guys are only effective with the ball in their hands.

For as much credit as Joe Dumars has received over the years, he's had a couple horrible seasons. The Billups trade was beyond retarded, then he spent all their cap money on 2 free agents who barely even play for them now.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
For as much credit as Joe Dumars has received over the years, he's had a couple horrible seasons. The Billups trade was beyond retarded, then he spent all their cap money on 2 free agents who barely even play for them now.

I still think the Billups trade was a very intelligent move, they weren't going to get back to the title level, especially as Sheed fell off. Moving Billiups destroyed that season, but it freed up a ton of cap space that could have been used to start to rebuild on the fly. The first mistake was not committing afterwards to rebuilding by rapidly trying to move Hamilton's contract as well...or by trying to stockpile draft picks, whatever. Ben Gordon and Villanueva signings were just moronic and compounded the problem.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
I still think the Billups trade was a very intelligent move, they weren't going to get back to the title level, especially as Sheed fell off. Moving Billiups destroyed that season, but it freed up a ton of cap space that could have been used to start to rebuild on the fly. The first mistake was not committing afterwards to rebuilding by rapidly trying to move Hamilton's contract as well...or by trying to stockpile draft picks, whatever. Ben Gordon and Villanueva signings were just moronic and compounded the problem.

It's only intelligent if you use the cap space properly. They are stuck with Gordon and Villanueva at bad contracts for another 4 seasons, while Billups himself is STILL a gamechanger, and looks to be so through the end of his contract next season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)

They actually signed Hamilton to an extension AFTER trading Billups, making it even more retarded.

Edit, my bad, they signed Hamilton's extension before last season with two years left. He was signed through 09/10 already and they tacked three more years onto it, making the deal run through 2012/2013. So they gave an extension to a 30 year old shooting guard that still had two years left on his deal, then traded their best player two games into the season. Amazingly retarded.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 7, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
I still want Byron Scott.

Scott would be the worse hire possible. I'd rather hire myself to coach this team that Byron Scott. I despise Byron Scott and in no time so will his players. On top of that, he isn't that good of a coach.