6/21 Game Thread: Sox @ Cin - 12:10pm - WGN

knightni

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
Liney may suck, but I'm saying you have no idea whether anybody else would have given up more than one run. Unless you are a mindreader.

The sportswriters should ask why Oz put him in. He has a reason. He knows more baseball than anybody on here. But they won't ask him even though he'd give the reason.

hah. you're ridiculous. of course we can't guarantee how any other pitcher would perform, but the calls a manager makes need to be made based on averages and situations and recent performance. based on all 3 of those, you do not put Scott Linebrink in that inning. Simple as that.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
linebrink.jpg

It wasn't until the Cubs series that Ozzie started to use Linebrink more. Thornton was the preliminary setup man for most of the year. Did he not remember what happened last season at Wrigley with Linebrink at all?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
He's like a roach.

Well if Kenny is going to be stubborn and keep him on the roster I'd prefer that he produces when he plays. It's obvious he won't get demoted for s***ty play.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
hah. you're ridiculous. of course we can't guarantee how any other pitcher would perform, but the calls a manager makes need to be made based on averages and situations and recent performance. based on all 3 of those, you do not put Scott Linebrink in that inning. Simple as that.

No I agree with Greg. We are all rabid fans, but we are FANS. we aren't in the clubhouse so how could we possibly know what is going on or what Ozzie could be thinking? As FANS, we aren't privvy to that information. Thornton could be sick for all we know. We piss and moan all the time about the decisions that Ozzie makes - and that's okay. As fans we are allowed to do that. But in reality none of us knows what we are talking about as to what goes on in that clubhouse. If we did then we would be on the coaching staff. Just my 2 cents...

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
No I agree with Greg. We are all rabid fans, but we are FANS. we aren't in the clubhouse so how could we possibly know what is going on or what Ozzie could be thinking? As FANS, we aren't privvy to that information. Thornton could be sick for all we know. We piss and moan all the time about the decisions that Ozzie makes - and that's okay. As fans we are allowed to do that. But in reality none of us knows what we are talking about as to what goes on in that clubhouse. If we did then we would be on the coaching staff. Just my 2 cents...

I think the information that we all have at our fingertips, which shows that Linebrink has more or less been overworked in the past week, would indicate that he shouldnt have been the first out of the bullpen today. Linebrink is getting hit pretty hard out there, and putting him in close games is certainly not somethign I want to see right now.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)

the other thing is, hawk, who DOES have that inside info, also was doing his "criticize the move without coming out and saying it" thing.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
I kind of like the younger speedier guys over the old boppers; how about you guys?

I like them too, but playing 81 games a year at the cell they would be foolish not to have one or two boppers in the lineup, even if they're slow, but it makes for a great mix when you have both

Buerhle had a really good outing. Has anyone come across a recent article where he is finding the strike zone with less frequency this year? I read somewhere and will try to post the link. I wonder if he will beome like Tom Glavine and rely on off speed stuff in the coming year and nibble on the corners with excellent control and working fast counts.

Beckham is really getting comfortable with his zone and also not chasing ba pitches. He is now at .200 and I see a very nice summer for him really learning to hit AL pitching. His OBP is gradually rising and may be above .300 by the end of the month, hopefully. Or at least in early July. :gosox3:

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
I think the information that we all have at our fingertips, which shows that Linebrink has more or less been overworked in the past week, would indicate that he shouldnt have been the first out of the bullpen today. Linebrink is getting hit pretty hard out there, and putting him in close games is certainly not somethign I want to see right now.

On the other hand...we're going to need Linebrink to figure things out. Either so that he can be traded or so that he can still be used. 3 run lead, he didn't pitch yesterday did he? The only places he's going to work things out and start getting his pitches over the plate again is on the mound or on the DL, and if he's not hurt, then he needs to be out there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
On the other hand...we're going to need Linebrink to figure things out. Either so that he can be traded or so that he can still be used. 3 run lead, he didn't pitch yesterday did he? The only places he's going to work things out and start getting his pitches over the plate again is on the mound or on the DL, and if he's not hurt, then he needs to be out there.

yes he did

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=4294