Gov. Palin Resigns (Quits)

bmags

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Hopefully... That way she can not be considered a front runner for President, like some like to think.

:lolhitting Yep, I see the Dems taking a play from the GOP playbook on Hillary and keep repeating she's the GOP front runner, etc. How embarrassing if they do.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
She can create a better base for a Presidential run freed from her role as Governor.

I can't think of any examples of this happening though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
I can't think of any examples of this happening though.

By not running and then running for President? It would answer those critics that argue when someone runs for President while holding office, they are cheating their constituents of leadership.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
By not running and then running for President? It would answer those critics that argue when someone runs for President while holding office, they are cheating their constituents of leadership.

She's not just not running, she's resigning. You can just as easily say she is backing out of her commitment to alaskans. Plus she could've tried to accomplish more in a year to stiffen up her policy resume.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
She's not just not running, she's resigning. You can just as easily say she is backing out of her commitment to alaskans. Plus she could've tried to accomplish more in a year to stiffen up her policy resume.

Good point. I guess I am not buying the resigning part.

from talkingpointsmemo.com

"Wow. It just gets better and better. Apparently one of Palin's rationale's for resigning is that she would not stand by while so many taxpayer dollars were being spent investigating her."

Bill Kristol on Fox is trying to spin this into a positive for her. Shrewd political move and all. "Just saw the opening of the 2012 campaign"

Wouldn't it be incredibly easy to beat her over the head for abandoning her elected post?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Bill Kristol on Fox is trying to spin this into a positive for her. Shrewd political move and all. "Just saw the opening of the 2012 campaign"

Wouldn't it be incredibly easy to beat her over the head for abandoning her elected post?

More and more candidates are trying it. John Edwards comes to mind right away, though most have just not run for re-election.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
More and more candidates are trying it. John Edwards comes to mind right away, though most have just not run for re-election.

I think there's a distinct difference between the two. One is moving on to something new, the other is quitting an elected position in the middle of your term. Doesn't it set up easy "will she just quit the presidency half way through if it gets too hard?" rhetoric from her opponents?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
I think there's a distinct difference between the two. One is moving on to something new, the other is quitting an elected position in the middle of your term. Doesn't it set up easy "will she just quit the presidency half way through if it gets too hard?" rhetoric from her opponents?

It could also set up, "It isn't fair my fellow Alaskans for me to be unable to fully fulfill my duties to them, as running for President is a full time job." as well. They are both loads of crap.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)

The difference between Edwards and this situation is that Edwards served his full six-year term. I'm not saying one is better than the other just that they are much different scenarios.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
from talkingpointsmemo.com

"Wow. It just gets better and better. Apparently one of Palin's rationale's for resigning is that she would not stand by while so many taxpayer dollars were being spent investigating her."

I'll bet someone is close to uncovering something big. Maybe she was blackmailed into resigning?

As you have mentioned, it doesn't really make sense to quit mid-term for the sake of helping her run for presidency, especially since its several years away and she could have used the time wisely to shore up some of her weaknesses from the last election.

it's so much easier to use your current position to gain positive PR/name recognition, however. I don't buy it, at all. I don't think this has anything to do with shoring up more time to run.

from palin's speech:

"Political operatives descended on Alaska last August, digging for dirt. The ethics law I championed became their weapon of choice. Over the past nine months I've been accused of all sorts of frivolous ethics violations - such as holding a fish in a photograph, wearing a jacket with a logo on it, and answering reporters' questions."

Yup, you nailed all the ethical scandals you were accused of in that paragraph!

This is not overly complicated, it seems to me. Palin's popularity in Alaska has been plummeting. The last thing she wants is to lose an election, or look unpopular. Cutting her losses to protect her image.

I suppose there is a chance there is something brewing we don't know of, but, I think the above is more obvious and simple.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
I'll bet someone is close to uncovering something big. Maybe she was blackmailed into resigning?

As you have mentioned, it doesn't really make sense to quit mid-term for the sake of helping her run for presidency, especially since its several years away and she could have used the time wisely to shore up some of her weaknesses from the last election.

Yeah, she is probably pregnant with McCain's baby

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
This is not overly complicated, it seems to me. Palin's popularity in Alaska has been plummeting. The last thing she wants is to lose an election, or look unpopular. Cutting her losses to protect her image.

I suppose there is a chance there is something brewing we don't know of, but, I think the above is more obvious and simple.

but even so, at it's face it looks like she's quitting because of investigations and media scrutiny. That effectively ends her chances of ever getting elected to a higher office than governor, though she may be able to go for mayor!

This is just the end of a terrible farce we've dealt with for months.

edit: seriously, look at her speech: millions of your dollars are being wasted, so I'm quitting, I can do more change from the outside.

Bulls***.

Edited by bmags