• I want some more of it
    • Too over the top, even for Hawk
    • Call the FCC, i'm offended!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 12:03 AM)
Hawk is Awesome. I would not trade him for any announcer. Living far away from Chicago I have grown to love Hawk even more, it's like watching the with a buddy.

Thank You Hawk.

He was probably the 1st reason I became a White Sox fan. And he is the sole reason I'm studying Broadcasting.

Everybody here knows I am critical of Hawk at times, but I absolutely LOVE the "hell yes." The key is, as Soxfan just said, in moderation. Like tonight, he used it for the grand slam that put us up 5-3 in the 2nd half of the game, and because Paulie had a 3 HR night and that's fine. Just don't overdo it and kill a good thing.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I like the Stone Pony nickname, but it's nowhere near as good as Tom 'Wimpy' Paciorek.

Hawk's a homer, Stone is an honest and knowledgeable baseball man with lucid commentary. Finally we have someone good enough to parry Hawk.

First time I heard it was the extra inning game against the Dodgers when Scotty got the winning hit. I have grown up with Hawk Harrelson doing Sox games and know no other who can do them for me. For all the flack he takes from people about his skills, he is a fan first and we hear that in the way he calls games. If its a "Hell Yes" on a big home run, a "That's bush" on a hit batter, or just the tone of disgust for the teams play: this is why Hawk does it for me. The fan first really makes me want to want more because I usually want to know "What Hawk thinks about that?" He has given us key catch phrases that wil last forever. I met Hawk last year and he is just the greatest guy to sit down and have a conversation with, he talked with me like we were best friends. Just to give an example he told me about his flight from South Bend and his home in Florida, again just a very personal and friendsly man. When that day comes when Ken "Hawk" Harrelson leaves the booth and/or leaves us forever, I think that the White Sox and baseball community will be deeply sadden. Let's enjoy him now while he is still here.

Edited by wilmot825

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 01:21 AM)
First time I heard it was the extra inning game against the Dodgers when Scotty got the winning hit. I have grown up with Hawk Harrelson doing Sox games and know no other who can do them for me. For all the flack he takes from people about his skills, he is a fan first and we hear that in the way he calls games. If its a "Hell Yes" on a big home run, a "That's bush" on a hit batter, or just the tone of disgust for the teams play: this is why Hawk does it for me. The fan first really makes me want to want more because I usually want to know "What Hawk thinks about that?" He has given us key catch phrases that wil last forever. I met Hawk last year and he is just the greatest guy to sit down and have a conversation with, he talked with me like we were best friends. Just to give an example he told me about his flight from South Bend and his home in Florida, again just a very personal and friendsly man. When that day comes when Ken "Hawk" Harrelson leaves the booth and/or leaves us forever, I think that the White Sox and baseball community will be deeply sadden. Let's enjoy him now while he is still here.

Great post. You're absolutely right.

I love Hawk, but I didn't realize how much I love him being our announcer (and a huge homer) until Beckham's game winner against the Cubs (a game that was on FOX) where Buck just kind of gave a nonchalant "and the Sox win..." I was pissed b/c I'm pretty sure hearing Hawk's call on that hit would have been awesome.

Find that more obnoxious and annoying than his normal call. I don't like him as an announcer. Let me give an example why.

"In my 50 years in this game, i have never seen a shortstop play that close to the line in a double play situation."

*Soto hits a grounder right to Alexei and grounds into the double play. Hawk goes silent.

Yeah Hawk, i'm sure that's the FIRST time its happened in your 50 years of baseball... Aside from stupidity such as that, he always make it seem like the umpires are against us. Most of the youth learn knowledge about the game from the announcers. I was one of them. Not until I got older did i realize how stupid some of the stuff he says is.

Seems like I am alone here in the discontent with hawk, though.

QUOTE (brendol @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 02:49 AM)
Find that more obnoxious and annoying than his normal call. I don't like him as an announcer. Let me give an example why.

"In my 50 years in this game, i have never seen a shortstop play that close to the line in a double play situation."

*Soto hits a grounder right to Alexei and grounds into the double play. Hawk goes silent.

Yeah Hawk, i'm sure that's the FIRST time its happened in your 50 years of baseball... Aside from stupidity such as that, he always make it seem like the umpires are against us. Most of the youth learn knowledge about the game from the announcers. I was one of them. Not until I got older did i realize how stupid some of the stuff he says is.

Seems like I am alone here in the discontent with hawk, though.

I'm not sure anyone is calling him a wise baseball-man. Anyone who has listened to Hawk long enough knows this about him. He's not baseball ignorant, but I'd never want him running my team in any shape or form.

That said, he is a great announcer for the fans. As somebody has already pointed out, it is like watching the Sox with a buddy. Announcers that go for objectivity, I find them boring - their emotions also tend to sound forced, where as Hawk seems quite genuine. The combo the White Sox have in the booth right now is a real treat for me, and I think it'd be hard for any organization to top it.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 01:58 AM)
I'm not sure anyone is calling him a wise baseball-man. Anyone who has listened to Hawk long enough knows this about him. He's not baseball ignorant, but I'd never want him running my team in any shape or form.

That said, he is a great announcer for the fans. As somebody has already pointed out, it is like watching the Sox with a buddy. Announcers that go for objectivity, I find them boring - their emotions also tend to sound forced, where as Hawk seems quite genuine. The combo the White Sox have in the booth right now is a real treat for me, and I think it'd be hard for any organization to top it.

Not to de-rail the thread or anything, but that signature or whatever it is is quite hypnotic....I think I sat here and watched it over and over for like 5 minutes before I was able to snap myself out of it...

Most people besides white sox fans dont like hawk at all. Vin Scully alone tops what we have.

Well who is it that Hawk is supposed to be catering to?

The fact that most other people besides white sox fans dislike him says something about him. He is a complete homer. I'd rather have a knowledgeable broadcaster who isn't such a complete homer. Growing up listening to Hawk, you become a homer too. I guess I think it would be better for the white sox fan youth to listen to somebody that knows what they are talking about most of the time rather than a senile homer.

QUOTE (brendol @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 02:12 AM)
The fact that most other people besides white sox fans dislike him says something about him. He is a complete homer. I'd rather have a knowledgeable broadcaster who isn't such a complete homer. Growing up listening to Hawk, you become a homer too. I guess I think it would be better for the white sox fan youth to listen to somebody that knows what they are talking about most of the time rather than a senile homer.

Well isn't that what Stoney is for? :)

Well isn't that what Stoney is for? :)

Hawk still manages to squeeze his 2 cents in while Stoney is talking, before he is even finished.

"He cant hit a breaking ball, but-"

"WELL WHO CAN?"

Regardless, I'm glad we have Stoney now. DJ was hawk's b****.

QUOTE (brendol @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 03:04 AM)
Most people besides white sox fans dont like hawk at all. Vin Scully alone tops what we have.

That is like comparing Babe Ruth to Paul Konerko.

The only people that need to like Hawk are Sox fans as the only people the need to like to muppet voiced cub announcer are cub fans. Ron Santo is part of a mystic as are Hawk and Farmer

Brenly and Stone do their job. Sure Hawk is over the top but so are most fans that spend time on message boards talking about their team.

I gave f*** ya yesterday on the homer as I did for the Pods winning hit.

That hit last night broke the Indians and as any fan of the Sox knows the psyche of the offense is weak. It Sowers gets through 7 the Sox could have lost 3 in a row easily and have been in a funk tothe break.