Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
It just keeps getting better!

The Red Wings have been getting away with this s*** for years...

Like I said, it is totally obvious that there are bitter feelings left out there and that is where this is all coming from.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 02:40 AM)
Even though it's fairly obvious that this was the intent of the cheap years tacked on at the end, I don't know how you prove that unless there are tapes or emails out there.

Which would be INCREDIBLY stupid.

Agreed. It would be real, real dumb. Like failing to get offers out on a timely basis. A guy could get fired for doing stuff that dumb.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
Agreed. It would be real, real dumb. Like failing to get offers out on a timely basis. A guy could get fired for doing stuff that dumb.

I understand where you're going with that, but if they were recording conversations (either by tape or email) about circumventing the salary cap, that would be so much dumber than a clerical error that it's not even in the same stratosphere.

Again, there's no proof that they did that, but those last tacked-on years of the contract certainly raise a red flag, which is why they're being looked at now.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
I understand where you're going with that, but if they were recording conversations (either by tape or email) about circumventing the salary cap, that would be so much dumber than a clerical error that it's not even in the same stratosphere.

Again, there's no proof that they did that, but those last tacked-on years of the contract certainly raise a red flag, which is why they're being looked at now.

I know, and I wasn't implying that Dale was doing anything that Nixonian, merely that maybe there was a wisp of this nvestigation coming down the pike before he was canned, and perhaps factoring into it.

Here's the problem I have with this...how do you penalize a team for finding a way around the system? I mean, if this is the case, all you can do is say, going forward, this won't be allowed. But, everyone agreed and signed off on it, including the NHL, I'm assuming or else they wouldn't have been able to announce it, yes?

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)
Here's the problem I have with this...how do you penalize a team for finding a way around the system? I mean, if this is the case, all you can do is say, going forward, this won't be allowed. But, everyone agreed and signed off on it, including the NHL, I'm assuming or else they wouldn't have been able to announce it, yes?

I couldn't agree more, assuming that's what happened (I'm certainly no "capologist"). If the Hawks merely found and exploited a loophole, then they certainly shouldn't be punished for taking advantage of the system; the existing loophole should just be closed. And its true that in order for the NHL to establish wrongdoing, someone in the Hossa camp or Hawks' front office would have to rat themselves out, so I don't see that happening.

What's weird is that you'd think a competitive, thriving Hawks franchise would be so good for the league as whole, it would be encouraged and supported rather than attacked, as seems to have been happening lately. Not that they should get a free pass or anything, but this can't be the first time some team has thought of this. Frankly, I have a hard time accepting that the Hawks could be that smart.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
I couldn't agree more, assuming that's what happened (I'm certainly no "capologist"). If the Hawks merely found and exploited a loophole, then they certainly shouldn't be punished for taking advantage of the system; the existing loophole should just be closed. And its true that in order for the NHL to establish wrongdoing, someone in the Hossa camp or Hawks' front office would have to rat themselves out, so I don't see that happening.

What's weird is that you'd think a competitive, thriving Hawks franchise would be so good for the league as whole, it would be encouraged and supported rather than attacked, as seems to have been happening lately. Not that they should get a free pass or anything, but this can't be the first time some team has thought of this. Frankly, I have a hard time accepting that the Hawks could be that smart.

Old regime is ratting out new regime... or vice versa. This whole thing is a pissing contest that has been leaked (pardon the pun) to the media.

I am pumped for this upcoming Hockey season. I think the Blackhawks will be a lot better then next year, except im disappointed that Hossa will be out til at least December. Hopefully Huet will be up to the challenge

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)

But some bitter ex-front office personel could be ones to tell...

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
Sure doesn't sound like Kane to me.. but ya never know I guess. They said the fair was like $13.60 and Kane gave him $15 and then got pissed the cabbie didn't have to correct change... sounds really odd to me.

I love when athlete gets upset about losing $1.40. What a joke.

The tribune article implicates that the fair was $13.80, and they were upset the cab driver didnt have 20 cents in change.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/08/post-5.html

Kane, 20, and a relative, James M. Kane, 21, are alleged to have punched the cab driver and taken back money they had given him after the driver told them he didn't have 20 cents in coins to give them change, according to the report. The newspaper story did not detail how Patrick and James Kane were related.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
If it were Derrick Rose, this thread would be 3 pages deeper and the word "thug" would have been tossed around more than several times.

So if this story is accurate, Patrick Kane is a THUG.

I have no problem with that. Then again it would help if Kane had been accused of being too dumb to take his own tests too.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
If it were Derrick Rose, this thread would be 3 pages deeper and the word "thug" would have been tossed around more than several times.

So if this story is accurate, Patrick Kane is a THUG.

Rose can't be considered a thug because he usually is the one getting beat up and following orders from others, such as getting beat up from that Memphis football player and taking orders from Reggie.

Kane is a thug. He beat up a cab over 20 cents and took all of his money back. I'm surprised though because I wouldn't expect it from Kane.

if in fact the hawks won't be able to resign one of Kane or Toews down the line....i can't help but think that this is going to factor in that decision...hopefully they are able to keep em both...that said what a b**** Kane is to do this if its true