MARK BUEHRLE PITCHES THE 18TH PERFECT GAME IN HISTORY

southsider2k5

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
I have seen way too many bunt attempts while a team is down by a grand slam or more to ever write it off. I would wager it happens several times a week, at the very least. Bunting, no matter how much i am against it, tend to be a a strength of a select group of players.

I was just reading about a game recently (within the past two weeks) in which a team was being no hit, down by six, two outs in the seventh. That team went on to bunt, got the hit, and went on to score nine runs that inning, winning that game twelve to six.

If it is a one run game at what point is it wrong to lay down a bunt? Fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth?

If it is a five run game at what point is it wrong to lay down a bunt? Fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth?

People say different things but it's really the 9th when it gets to be a big deal. This isn't something that happens that often. Teams being no-hit, in the 9th, bunting. Do it if you want but don't be surprised if you get drilled afterwards.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:11 PM)
Cabrera is insanely fast, Speed is his best asset. It made sense for him to try to bunt for a hit, in fact, he seems to try it at least once per game.

He has attempted seven bunts while reaching one time in 36 games.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
I will do that, but tomorrow afternoon, go outside and tell me what color the sky is.

How am I going to "show" you something like that? It's practically common knowledge. Type "bunt no hitter" into Google if you really want to find something.

It still doesn't mean it's tradition. Tradition is like the 7th inning stretch, a curtain call after a huge home run, standing ovation for a pitcher after he has a great outing, etc., etc., etc.

Not bunting to help a pitcher keep his no-no or PG isn't tradition. That's not how you play the game. You do what will help you and your team. Not what will make the other team and fans happy.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:22 PM)
It still doesn't mean it's tradition. Tradition is like the 7th inning stretch, a curtain call after a huge home run, standing ovation for a pitcher after he has a great outing, etc., etc., etc.

Not bunting to help a pitcher keep his no-no or PG isn't tradition. That's not how you play the game. You do what will help you and your team. Not what will make the other team and fans happy.

It hurts your argument when you have to argue semantics. Does your definition vs. my definition of "tradition" really have anything to do with this?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
It hurts your argument when you have to argue semantics. Does your definition vs. my definition of "tradition" really have anything to do with this?

Well you certainly brought it up, don't blame me.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
I don't know, but this is baseball. Anything can happen. And I'm sure something similar has happened in the past. You get a bunt base hit, it carries over to the next batter he gets a hit, and a flury of hits come. In fact, Ozzie said in post game, after he saw that hit by Kapler, he was ready to call the bullpen to get Pena warmed.

Lets say Kapler got a bunt single and Buehrle gets knocked out of his zone a bit. Then the next batter gets a dork snort or something. Ozzie then calls in Pena, and bam, the Rays offense wakes up.

Anything can happen.

So I can name many, many times where teams have had 5+ run rallies in the 9th inning without bunting to start it off, but you can't name any that started with a bunt, yet I am supposed to believe there is a significant enough chance of it happening to go against 110 years of baseball tradition. I'd really prefer you get out of the hypothetical, and give me some real evidence before I go discarding baseball's great history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
So I can name many, many times where teams have had 5+ run rallies in the 9th inning without bunting to start it off, but you can't name any that started with a bunt, yet I am supposed to believe there is a significant enough chance of it happening to go against 110 years of baseball tradition. I'd really prefer you get out of the hypothetical, and give me some real evidence before I go discarding baseball's great history.

If i had a search function powerful enough that i could find out how many rallies of five runs or more started have started in the ninth inning via a bunt, i would be more than happy to do so. Baseball reference's player index is not even that powerful to my knowledge, nor is sabr. If it has happened even once, which i'm pretty certain it has, then right there is reason enough.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)

Yep. In the 110 years of baseball and god only knows how many games there have been, there has never been a rally in the 9th started by a bunt.

Please list all the rallies to comeback and win a game in the bottom of the 9th you know of that started off with a swinging hit.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:31 PM)
Ha, wow, Obama's little pro-Buehrle stump speech. Although for some reason he doesn't seem to know who Dewayne "Weis" is.

Well when the Bulls visited the white house, he told the front office/announcers in front of everyone: "These are MY bulls." (Pax, Wennington, Stacey King). So maybe he stopped watching sports as intently after the 90s.

He's a little busy now anyway.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
Yep. In the 110 years of baseball and god only knows how many games there have been, there has never been a rally in the 9th started by a bunt.

Please list all the rallies to comeback and win a game in the bottom of the 9th you know of that started off with a swinging hit.

Like I said, you are the one speaking in theorheticals.

All I have to do is go back two months to back myself up. What do you have that has actually happened?

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/arti...sp&c_id=cle

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...mp;mode=gameday