MARK BUEHRLE PITCHES THE 18TH PERFECT GAME IN HISTORY

southsider2k5

The fact that Mark Buehrle is the only pitcher in mlb history to face the minimum in 3 separate games is ridiculously awesome

The guy has racked some pretty impressive career achievements.

World Series Ring

A start, and a SAVE in the world series

An ALDS win, an ALCS win and complete game.

9 consecutive seasons with 10+ wins, including 15+ in 5 of them (probably 6 after this year, with an outside shot at 20 this year)

133 Career wins. 200 is easily within reach and 250 is within the realm of possibility (if he has a kenny rogers-esque career 300 isn't impossible)

4 All star games, including starting and getting the W in one

2 No hitters

1 Perfect game

3 Times facing the minimum

Only pitcher ever to lose a game while never having a guy on base

HR in interleague play

Edited by daa84

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
The fact that Mark Buehrle is the only pitcher in mlb history to face the minimum in 3 separate games is ridiculously awesome

The guy has racked some pretty impressive career achievements.

World Series Ring

A start, and a SAVE in the world series

An ALDS win, an ALCS win and complete game.

9 consecutive seasons with 10+ wins, including 15+ in 5 of them (probably 6 after this year, with an outside shot at 20 this year)

133 Career wins. 200 is easily within reach and 250 is within the realm of possibility (if he has a kenny rogers-esque career 300 isn't impossible)

4 All star games, including starting and getting the W in one

2 No hitters

1 Perfect game

3 Times facing the minimum

Only pitcher ever to lose a game while never having a guy on base

HR in interleague play

How is that feasible?

Someone has to reach at some point so that they can be brought around to score at least one run for the win. There have been no-hitters in which a pitcher loses, but no one on base? Please explain, i must be going nuts.

I was in a meeting all day yesterday and I get this Twitter update on my phone (I have a couple Sox accounts sent to my phone) and it says something like "Sox fans I suggest you check out the game...mid 7th" so I knew something special was going on. I got back to my desk in the bottom of the 8th and it was a perfect game. Got mlb.tv turned on just in time to see the 9th start. I never use that at work but this time I said screw it.

Wow what a performance, I'm so happy for Mark. Truly a great player and a great person. Oz was right, this could not have happened to a better guy. Also, this will probably start to give him more recognition throughout the baseball world now.

He has some nice credentials. I'd say this performance helped out his case for the HoF. Still a long shot, but if he pitches long enough to get 250-260 wins this will definitely carry some weight.

Oh and D-Wise, what a freaking catch! He's made a few great plays this year. Do we under rate his 'D' or were these just abberations? I havent seen him enough to really form an educated opinion on it.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
How is that feasible?

Someone has to reach at some point so that they can be brought around to score at least one run for the win. There have been no-hitters in which a pitcher loses, but no one on base? Please explain, i must be going nuts.

I don't recall what he is talking about. But i'm guessing he means someone hit a HR so no one was ever on the bases, not that no one ever reached a base.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
Cy young hit one in 1904. Frank smith hit one in 1905. Joe wood hit two in 1991. In 1917 babe ruth pitched 0 innings of a complete game in which ernie shore no-hit washington. Ruth hit two home runs that season while shore hit none. Walter johnson hit one in 1920. Wes ferrell hit nine in 1931. Bob feller hit two in 1940. Bob lemon hit five in 1948. Virgil trucks hit one in 1952. Don larson hit two in 1956 which was the year he threw his perfect game. Earl wilson hit three in 1962. Jack kralick hit two in 1962. Tom phoebus hit two in 1968. Catfish hunter hit one in 1968 which was the year he threw his perfect game. Clyde wright hit two in 1970. Vida blue hit one in 1970.

Buehrle is the first to hit a home run and throw a no hitter/perfect game since the dh was introduced in 1973.

I had a feeling this would be the case. It is just too sporadic of an occurance(AL Pitchers hitting, that is) for a homerun AND a no-hitter to occur ine same year for an AL pitcher

That Phillies' video makes you realize how monumental this feat was... only 18 in history. The whole f***ing world was watching Mark Buehrle THROW A PERFECT GAME.

GO SOX! There's no better team in baseball to follow. Awesome stuff happens all the time.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
I don't recall what he is talking about. But i'm guessing he means someone hit a HR so no one was ever on the bases, not that no one ever reached a base.

Technically a home run is getting on base... as it raises your obp, though i do understand what he was getting at.

This is the game he is referring to...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TO...200705310.shtml

Buehrhle gave up two runs two the blue jays, both of which were solo shots.

It has been done before in a rain shortened game. http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BA...197107300.shtml

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)
That Phillies' video makes you realize how monumental this feat was... only 18 in history. The whole f***ing world was watching Mark Buehrle THROW A PERFECT GAME.

Yeah, I saw that on ESPN News and thought it was one of the cooler aspects of their coverage. The Phils reaction to Dweezy's catch was awesome.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)
GO SOX! There's no better team in baseball to follow.

I was thinking, what better time than today to make a huge deal for a front line pitcher? They'd surely waive a NTC to come to this team after seeing us jump into first place.

skip bailess, or however u spell it, saw him on espn2 now,wow, worst analysis from an 'expert' i have ever heard. he gave buehrle 0% credit. he said the rays offense just sux in the 2nd half. um, the second half , theyve only played 7 games . anyone saw that? idiot. it wasnt a yankee or red sox thats probly why

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
skip bailess, or however u spell it, saw him on espn2 now,wow, worst analysis from an 'expert' i have ever heard. he gave buehrle 0% credit. he said the rays offense just sux in the 2nd half. um, the second half , theyve only played 7 games . anyone saw that? idiot. it wasnt a yankee or red sox thats probly why

Standard for ESPN. Watching ESPN = fail.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
Frankly, I think that the situation dictates it. If it's a 1 run game, your team still has a shot if they can get one baserunner. If it's a 5 run game, you need a legit meltdown by the pitcher. Do you bunt for hits very often in a 5 run game? Not really, not even Juan Pierre did that very often I'd guess.

About 4-5 years ago someone in San Diego (don't remember if it was a Padre or the opposition) took a no-no into the 8th or 9th and I think it might have even been Ben Davis (could even be 6 or 7 years ago) who bunted and messed up the no-hitter and there was a huge out-cry amongst baseball players regarding it.

I'll try to dig up the details but all I know is if I'm on the opposition I do everything I can to prevent getting no-hit. I wouldn't want to get no-hit, no way. Plus that way, you fully earn that no-hitter when you throw it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)
About 4-5 years ago someone in San Diego (don't remember if it was a Padre or the opposition) took a no-no into the 8th or 9th and I think it might have even been Ben Davis (could even be 6 or 7 years ago) who bunted and messed up the no-hitter and there was a huge out-cry amongst baseball players regarding it.

I'll try to dig up the details but all I know is if I'm on the opposition I do everything I can to prevent getting no-hit. I wouldn't want to get no-hit, no way. Plus that way, you fully earn that no-hitter when you throw it.

I believe it was against the DBacks and the manager said after the game that "it was chicken s***".

I fully believe that if the situation calls for it, you bunt. At the time i think it was 2-0 so thats fine. If it's 5-0, 8-0 whatever I don't think you do. I support basebal etiquette and the "unwritten" rules so I personally wouldn't do it or call for it if I was the manager.

Just read this.....

Buehrle is known for working fast, and the Rays were compliant with his schedule as he cruised along throwing strikes (and not throwing very hard), keeping them off-balance and getting them out. During the 2 hour, 3 minute game, he was on the mound for just a stunning 32 minutes, according to the Fox Sports Florida crew.

Can that last sentance be true?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)

It was 8 years ago already, that's insane.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SD...200105260.shtml

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 09:37 AM)

That was current Cubs announcers Bob Brenly who got pissed about the bunt, and he could not have possibly been more wrong. That bunt single brought the tying run to the plate (and the next guy walked, bringing the go ahead run to the plate). The Padres were trying to win a game (the teams were tied for 1st place entering that game according to b-r), so to get all in a tizzy over that bunt was ignorant in my opinion. If you don't want them bunting but rather want them "respecting the game", build a bigger lead.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

One day later....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1683659...072409.article#

Mark Buehrle's perfect game: One day later

Comments

July 24, 2009

BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com

DETROIT - One day after being perfect, he was back to simply being Mark Buehrle.

Still caught up in the whirlwind of pitching just the 18th perfect game in major-league history in Thursday's unforgettable performance against Tampa Bay, the White Sox pitcher was asked what the past 20 hours or so had been like.

» Click to enlarge image

After recording his 27th consecutive out Thursday, Mark Buehrle begins the celebration. Buehrle delivered a curveball that started high in the zone.

(AP)

PHOTO GALLERY

Mark Buehrle's perfect game

RELATED STORIES

Video: Scene on the field Telander: Good feat for nice guy Mike Hall: Lifelong Sox fan's take Wise's catch saves Buehrle's day

After all, there were calls from the President of the United States, his face plastered all over the television, as a matter of fact, the talk of the entire sports world.

And in all that madness the "coolest" thing that stuck out in the mind of the guy who was born -- and still lives -- in St. Charles, Mo.?

"Probably the coolest [text message] I got was Mark Drury from the Drury Brothers," Buehrle replied. "He said he was in a cornfield in Iowa doing some food plots and said he had it on in the radio on the tractor, and I told him, 'I wish I could have been there with him to be putting some food plots in.' But I think that was the coolest message I got."

Mark Drury is some sort of big deal in the hunting world. Yep, same old Mark Buehrle.

"You ask all his teammates and there wouldn't be a better guy for it to happen," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "He's so humble. He's excited and should feel proud. I just talked to him today, and yesterday after the game on the airplane, he seemed like nothing happened, like we just won another game. I don't think he found out yet what he did."

Actually he did, except it Buehrle's world it's not as big a deal as it would be for most major leaguers.

More evidence?

His big celebration Thursday night once they arrived in Detroit was going out to dinner with assistant hitting coach Mike Gellinger, Gellinger's wife, Kelly, assistant trainer Brian Ball and Paul Konerko, with most of the dinner conversation centering around Konerko trying to figure out the percentage of pitching a perfect game.

By the way, according to Elias Sports Bureau it is roughly 0.000092 percent.

"Even after the game I was packing my bag and [reliever Scott] Linebrink said, 'How are you even packing your bag. I can't even pack right now,' " Buehrle recalled. "I said, 'I got to get on the flight. I can't do anything about it.' I think it was more sitting back and try to figure out what happened. But [Thursday] night, it was like a normal day, getting your bags packed and getting on the plane."

For Buehrle, it might be. But he is now shed in a new light, joining Cy Young, Sandy Koufax, Randy Johnson, Jim Bunning and Addie Joss as the only six pitchers ever to throw both a no-hitter and a perfect game in their careers, and only Johnson and Buehrle aren't members of the Hall of Fame.

So the question had to be asked, did Thursday make him Hall of Fame worthy?

"Hall of Fame is going to need people to get in," Guillen said. "You will see people in with 200 wins, 220 or 250. There's no doubt. You have to. I don't think any pitcher is going to last long enough to win 300 games."

Buehrle is currently 133-90.

"I think I got to do a lot more in this game to be thought of in that category," Buehrle said. "Obviously, it's an honor for people to even mention that. I got 130 wins now. I need a lot more wins and a lot more stuff in this game to be mentioned there."

Buehrle's biggest worry now? What to buy his teammates as a thank you. His no-hitter got everyone watches. This time he was thinking "cufflinks, and whatever that thing's called that goes over a tie."

Same old Mark Buehrle.

The first I heard of it yesterday came at work when a co-worker, who is a Cub fan, came up to me and said that he had a perfect game going into the 9th. I immediately ran to the break room to look at my phone. I looked at it and there was a text there that read "I'm sure your working, but if you can get to a TV/radio to see the Sox game. I took my phone to the stock room so I could look at the game progress on my phone. The first time it refreshed it actually said "Gabe Kapler doubles to centerfielder Dewanye Wise" I thought to myself oh well still a great game by Mark and a win. Then it refreshed again and it said "Gabe Kapler flies out to centerfielder Dewayne Wise." It was the coolest thing I ever saw. The game ended soon after that and I get a text from my brother who is a BIG Cubs fan that says "WOW!!! MARK BUEHRLE JUST PITCHED A PERFECT GAME!!" What a great day. Congrats Mark and lets keep the winning going.