MARK BUEHRLE PITCHES THE 18TH PERFECT GAME IN HISTORY

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
What you want to see is one thing. There isn't a manager in baseball that would have had his players go up to the plate in the 9th solely looking to break up a perfect game. That isn't the way the game is played.

If one of the Rays had done that, he would have been vilified on every sports news show. He also would have had a pitch in the ribs from whatever team the Rays play tomorrow. Bush league without doubt down by 5 runs.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:00 PM)
I'm still kind of upset that Ozzie wouldn't do this last year for Floyd's could've-been no-hitter.

There were people on here who claimed it is an unwritten rule in baseball that you do not make late inning defensive replacements with a no-hitter on the line, that it changes the karma. Didn't make much sense then (seeing as how all the best managers in the game do not follow this rule) and it makes even less sense now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:31 PM)
Seriously...Mark Buehrle pitched a freaking perfect game. Wow.

The more I watch that Dewayne Wise catch. I mean… can you imagine if he’s of dropped that? He’s been playing this game for years, the adrenaline he must have been facing, it would have been too easy tomiss that ball, to bobble it the wrong way, absolutely amazing. Thank you, Mr. Wise

So at what point is it too late to bunt in a game to break up a no-hitter or a perfect game? How many runs behind would be classified as too many?

Everth cabrera very recently bunted while down 8 runs with 2 outs in the 9th inning when sanchez threw hit no-hitter. This sort of this happens way more than people think.

A simple fact is players pride is on the line. First off, no one wants to lose. Secondly, no one wants to get no-hit or have a perfect game thrown against them while doing so. Practically i'm hearing the opposing team of whoever is throwing the no-hitter/perfect game should just lay down, for the sake of history possibly being made. If any player goes up to the plate, under practically any circumstance (rain is approaching, team has the lead, they want to make the game official, hack away) without the intention of getting on base anyway within that given players abilities, i have lost all respect. You never lay down for anyone.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:34 PM)
There were people on here who claimed it is an unwritten rule in baseball that you do not make late inning defensive replacements with a no-hitter on the line, that it changes the karma. Didn't make much sense then (seeing as how all the best managers in the game do not follow this rule) and it makes even less sense now.

Yeah that was really just people making s*** up.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
So at what point is it too late to bunt in a game to break up a no-hitter or a perfect game? How many runs behind would be classified as too many?

Everth cabrera very recently bunted while down 8 runs with 2 outs in the 9th inning when sanchez threw hit no-hitter. This sort of this happens way more than people think.

A simple fact is players pride is on the line. First off, no one wants to lose. Secondly, no one wants to get no-hit or have a perfect game thrown against them while doing so. Practically i'm hearing the opposing team of whoever is throwing the no-hitter/perfect game should just lay down, for the sake of history possibly being made. If any player goes up to the plate, under practically any circumstance (rain is approaching, team has the lead, they want to make the game official, hack away) without the intention of getting on base anyway within that given players abilities, i have lost all respect. You never lay down for anyone.

Frankly, I think that the situation dictates it. If it's a 1 run game, your team still has a shot if they can get one baserunner. If it's a 5 run game, you need a legit meltdown by the pitcher. Do you bunt for hits very often in a 5 run game? Not really, not even Juan Pierre did that very often I'd guess.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)

Agreed.

Also, the reason why they were down makes even more sense for a bunt. 5 runs isn't a huge lead that is impossible to come over. Baseball is a funny game and you can get the first 26 out and then struggle to close it down.

Being down 5-0, you need baserunners, not home runs.

I got a question. If the Rays did bunt with 2 outs in the 9th, and got a hit with it, and then strung together several more hits, and eventually got the lead, would that still be "bush league."

No matter what the circumstances are, you never give up and you try everything and anything. Whether it be breaking up the PG, no-no, shutout, or CG, you try and do it. Like you said, your pride is on the line.

Baseball is the only game where that game isn't over because of a time limit. In football or basketball your down by 40 points with a minute and a half left in the game, you're f***ed. In baseball, you can be down by 10 heading into the 9th and have all the time you want to make a great comeback. It's unlikely, but there's always a chance in baseball.

As Herm Edwards said, you play to win the game. If a bunt helps you make a comeback, you do it. You don't lay down for a PG or no-no.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)
At least for me, it's not about laying down, or giving the opposition an advantage.

The way I look at it is this. If Tampa was down 5-0 in the 8th, but had 5 hits scattered through the game, would they be laying down bunts trying to get on base any way possible during the last 6 outs? If the answer is no, I see no reason why they should be if they are getting no hit. The point is still to win the game, not to break up somones no-hitter.

You just answered your own question. The Rays didn't have 5 hits. Buehrle was baffling them all day. Because they had so much trouble getting a hit off of Buehrle, they could have tried other means, such as a bunt.

Really, laying down a bunt late in the game is just a smart baseball move in that situation. You give yourself a chance by putting the ball in play, and maybe even get the pitcher out of his comfort zone by making him run over and field the ball.

Also, I never understood why hitters never do lay down bunts or step out of the box when Buerhle and other pitchers are in the zone and have great rythem. You gotta do anything to get the pitcher out of his zone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:52 PM)
Frankly, I think that the situation dictates it. If it's a 1 run game, your team still has a shot if they can get one baserunner. If it's a 5 run game, you need a legit meltdown by the pitcher. Do you bunt for hits very often in a 5 run game? Not really, not even Juan Pierre did that very often I'd guess.

It isn't an written rule, but most people believe it's unwritten. A-Rod got blasted for yelling at a 3B (or was it a SS?) on a popout and he dropped it. ARod's play was considered bush league/not playing the game right, etc.. Theres those unwritten rules in the game that people old and young respect, especially when you play it. Stuff like that just isn't right, but people have different opinions on the matter. It happens.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
Agreed.

Also, the reason why they were down makes even more sense for a bunt. 5 runs isn't a huge lead that is impossible to come over. Baseball is a funny game and you can get the first 26 out and then struggle to close it down.

Being down 5-0, you need baserunners, not home runs.

I got a question. If the Rays did bunt with 2 outs in the 9th, and got a hit with it, and then strung together several more hits, and eventually got the lead, would that still be "bush league."

No matter what the circumstances are, you never give up and you try everything and anything. Whether it be breaking up the PG, no-no, shutout, or CG, you try and do it. Like you said, your pride is on the line.

Baseball is the only game where that game isn't over because of a time limit. In football or basketball your down by 40 points with a minute and a half left in the game, you're f***ed. In baseball, you can be down by 10 heading into the 9th and have all the time you want to make a great comeback. It's unlikely, but there's always a chance in baseball.

As Herm Edwards said, you play to win the game. If a bunt helps you make a comeback, you do it. You don't lay down for a PG or no-no.

So when is the last time a team generated 5 runs or more in the 9th inning starting with a bunt hit?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
Playing to win, and being cheap are two different things. Being respectful of tradition while still playing hard and laying down and quitting are also two different things.

tradition? What does tradition have to do with anything? Please show me the baseball tradition of not bunting late in games if the opposing pitcher has a PG or no-no. If you ain't breaking the rules, I got no problem with it. Look at Pierzynski, I guarantee you he would be a player to lay down a bunt late in a game vs. a pitcher who has a no-no or PG.

That is one of the reasons why I like AJ. He doesn't break the rules, but he'll do everything in his power to help the team, whether it be ruining a PG, no-no, or shutout, or being heads up and running to 1st on a questionable dropped 3rd strike, or completely taking out a 2nd baseman on a DP, he does what he's gotta do. Some people call him "bush league." I call him a smart and hard-nosed baseball player who doesn't care about the other teams feelings.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
It isn't an written rule, but most people believe it's unwritten. A-Rod got blasted for yelling at a 3B (or was it a SS?) on a popout and he dropped it. ARod's play was considered bush league/not playing the game right, etc.. Theres those unwritten rules in the game that people old and young respect, especially when you play it. Stuff like that just isn't right, but people have different opinions on the matter. It happens.

That wasn't a bush league play. That was smart, aggressive baseball. He didn't break the rules and he helped his team.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:46 PM)

Cabrera is insanely fast, Speed is his best asset. It made sense for him to try to bunt for a hit, in fact, he seems to try it at least once per game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:52 PM)

I have seen way too many bunt attempts while a team is down by a grand slam or more to ever write it off. I would wager it happens several times a week, at the very least. Bunting, no matter how much i am against it, tend to be a a strength of a select group of players.

I was just reading about a game recently (within the past two weeks) in which a team was being no hit, down by six, two outs in the seventh. That team went on to bunt, got the hit, and went on to score nine runs that inning, winning that game twelve to six.

If it is a one run game at what point is it wrong to lay down a bunt? Fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth?

If it is a five run game at what point is it wrong to lay down a bunt? Fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:04 PM)
So when is the last time a team generated 5 runs or more in the 9th inning starting with a bunt hit?

I don't know, but this is baseball. Anything can happen. And I'm sure something similar has happened in the past. You get a bunt base hit, it carries over to the next batter he gets a hit, and a flury of hits come. In fact, Ozzie said in post game, after he saw that hit by Kapler, he was ready to call the bullpen to get Pena warmed.

Lets say Kapler got a bunt single and Buehrle gets knocked out of his zone a bit. Then the next batter gets a dork snort or something. Ozzie then calls in Pena, and bam, the Rays offense wakes up.

Anything can happen.

QUOTE (Stocking @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:58 PM)
its not laying down when you can swing the bat.

Exactly, but that is more or less what people are asking for, to not try their damndest at any cost.

A bunt is a way of reaching base. Swinging is a way of reaching base. What makes one cheaper than the other? Someone has the ability to field the ball in both cases. I could understand if when a ball was bunted no one could attempt to field it for 1.8 seconds (you should get what i'm saying) before moving, now that would be cheap, but that is not the scenario on hand. I would love for someone explain the difference of swinging for a base hit and laying down a bunt.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
tradition? What does tradition have to do with anything? Please show me the baseball tradition of not bunting late in games if the opposing pitcher has a PG or no-no. If you ain't breaking the rules, I got no problem with it. Look at Pierzynski, I guarantee you he would be a player to lay down a bunt late in a game vs. a pitcher who has a no-no or PG.

That is one of the reasons why I like AJ. He doesn't break the rules, but he'll do everything in his power to help the team, whether it be ruining a PG, no-no, or shutout, or being heads up and running to 1st on a questionable dropped 3rd strike, or completely taking out a 2nd baseman on a DP, he does what he's gotta do. Some people call him "bush league." I call him a smart and hard-nosed baseball player who doesn't care about the other teams feelings.

I will do that, but tomorrow afternoon, go outside and tell me what color the sky is.

How am I going to "show" you something like that? It's practically common knowledge. Type "bunt no hitter" into Google if you really want to find something.