MARK BUEHRLE PITCHES THE 18TH PERFECT GAME IN HISTORY

southsider2k5

I just ended up buying both papers. The Sun-Times has a nice pic of the catch on the back cover (where the Trib has Buerhle on both sides), but the Trib has a nice little gameday type thing for every TB atbat on one of their pages which is pretty cool (and the Wise catch frames in color in the paper), so I'd say pick up both. $1.50 well spent :)

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towert...wayne-wise.html

Mark Buehrle to deliver David Letterman's Top 10, assisted by Josh Fields and Dewayne Wise -- perfect

Retiring 27 successive batters has earned Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle the opportunity to run down a Top 10 list for David Letterman.

Buehrle, who pitched a perfect game against the Tampa Bay Rays on Thursday at Chicago's U.S. Cellular Field, has been added to the lineup of Monday's "Late Show With David Letterman," reading the night's Top Ten list.

As in the 5-0 victory over the Rays, Buehrle will get an assist from teammates Josh Fields, who hit a grand slam in Thursday's game, and center fielder Dewayne Wise, who robbed Tampa Bay's Gabe Kapler of a leadoff home run in the ninth inning.

While Buehrle, Fields and Wise are expected to do their part from Minneapolis, where the Sox are set to open a series with the Minnesota Twins that night, guests scheduled to join Letterman in New York's Ed Sullivan Theater on Monday are actor Eric Bana, musician Dave Matthews and his band, which is also scheduled to perform on July 31st's "Late Show."

CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman" airs weeknights at 11:35 p.m. on Chicago's WBBM-Ch. 2.

Buehrle's perfect game was only the 18th in Major League Baseball history, and it was his second career no-hitter.

A little misinformation apparently has been floating around concerning the whereabouts of the baseball used to record the last out of Mark Buehrle's perfect game on Thursday. And here's the official confirmation, as provided by the White Sox themselves.

The ball is in the White Sox offices at U.S. Cellular Field and will be held for future display. Josh Fields caught the final out on a throw from shortstop Alexei Ramirez and had it briefly taken by a Major League Baseball authenticator. But the ball was never lost, and the White Sox actually had it back in their possession directly from said authenticator.

In other Buehrle-related news, Dewayne Wise's glove also will be going to Baseball's Hall of Fame along with Buehrle's jersey. The appearance by Buehrle, Dewayne Wise and Fields to do the Top 10 list on the Late Show with David Letterman from Minneapolis on Monday has not yet been officially confirmed on Buehrle's end.

But if Buehrle chose Letterman, I applaud his decision-making process. It's the funniest show on television, in my opinion.

-White Sox facebook post

so i dont know if this has been posted yet but:

Mark Buehrle is the only pitcher in Major League Baseball history, to face the minimum amount of batters (27), three times. July 21, 2004 vs. Cleveland Indians (2 Double Plays, 2-Hitter), April 18, 2007 vs. Texas Rangers (Runner Picked off First Base, No-Hitter) and July 23, 2009 vs. Tampa Bay Rays (Perfect Game)

Shocking news of the day:

Buehrle garners well-deserved honor

Starter wins Player of the Week with perfect game

By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com

It's simple, really. Throw the 16th perfect game in modern Major League history, and you have a pretty good shot at being named Player of the Week.

Such was the case for White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle, who was flawless against the Rays at U.S. Cellular Field on Thursday and was named American League Player of the Week, presented by Bank of America, on Monday.

Complete coverage >>

In his club's 5-0 win over Tampa Bay, Buehrle, who notched a no-hitter on April 18, 2007, against the Rangers, struck out six batters and got some help from a miraculous over-the-wall grab by center fielder Dewayne Wise in the ninth inning. It was the first perfect game since Randy Johnson threw one as a member of the D-backs on May 18, 2004, against the Braves, and the first AL perfect game since the David Cone's for the Yankees on July 18, 1999, against the Montreal Expos.

The 30-year-old Buehrle is now the 24th pitcher in history to throw multiple no-hitters and only the sixth of those with a perfect game to his credit.

"It was quality pitches," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said after the perfect game by Buehrle, who takes home his second career weekly honor. "And he has been doing that for a long time. To me, he is one of the most underrated pitchers in the American League the last 10 years."

Buehrle is 11-3 with a 3.28 ERA in 20 starts this season. Take away one bad outing this month -- when he gave up eight runs in 3 1/3 innings against the Twins on July 12 -- and he has given up just five runs in 31 2/3 frames in July (an ERA of 1.45).

The White Sox (51-48) went 4-3 last week and are currently two games behind the first-place Tigers in the AL Central.

"Obviously, any time your name gets up there with some of the greats in the game, it means a lot," Buehrle, who got a call from President and White Sox fan Barack Obama, said after his gem last week. "I think it's another thing when you retire and sit back and you see how many perfect games have been thrown in history and your name's in there. I think that's when I'll sit back and kind of be surprised."

Other nominees for AL Player of the Week were Twins first baseman Justin Morneau (five home runs and 11 RBIs), Indians ace Cliff Lee (2-0 with a 1.69 ERA), Angels shortstop Erick Aybar (14 hits) and Blue Jays second baseman Aaron Hill (.346 batting average and four home runs).

NSBB thread. http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/vie...=29&t=55118

They hate them some Hawk.

That happens on all the sports/white sox forums i go to. The other fans always say something like "congrats to mark buehrle on the perfect game. he is a great guy, he deserves it. too bad that senile moron announcer had to ruin it."

although i am not the biggest hawk fan, i thought his call of the perfect game was pretty good.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
That happens on all the sports/white sox forums i go to. The other fans always say something like "congrats to mark buehrle on the perfect game. he is a great guy, he deserves it. too bad that senile moron announcer had to ruin it."

although i am not the biggest hawk fan, i thought his call of the perfect game was pretty good.

It more than adequately represented the pure elation of Sox fans everywhere at that very moment but from a technical standpoint it was terrible. I can definitely see why non-sox fans would find the call excruciating.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 08:33 PM)
Is it just me, or are there more potshots at the Sox in that 4 page thread than in our entire Cubs thread in the Diamond Club?

The South Side jabs aren't even that creative. "Drag racing Camaros while high on meth." Come on at least get it right. South siders like to have gang fights in the projects.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
It more than adequately represented the pure elation of Sox fans everywhere at that very moment but from a technical standpoint it was terrible. I can definitely see why non-sox fans would find the call excruciating.

I don't think Hawk has ever been too concerned about his calls from a "technical standpoint."