2010 Lineup

JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
Crawford has mentioned in the past that he does not want to play CF, he's comfortable in left.

How about this then:

Crawford LF

Beckham 3B

Quentin RF

Thome/Dye DH

Konerko 1B

Pierzynski C

Ramirez SS

Getz 2B

Figgins CF

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Ya, it's highly unlikely, but that'd be such an infusion of speed and OBP in our lineup, it'd be fantasmic.

I'd much rather explore cheaper alternatives with what we already have on deck in Jor Danks and perhaps Jared Mitchell.

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
I'd much rather explore cheaper alternatives with what we already have on deck in Jor Danks and perhaps Jared Mitchell.

Mitchell certainly won't be ready, but there is a chance Danks2 might. However, he's going to need to drop the k-rate quite a bit, or else we're looking at Brent Lillibridge again.

it's going to be a very busy off season. I think Thome, Contreras, and,likely, Dye are all gone. That's alot of money freed up. You also have Jenks as a trade chip. CF has be the #1 priority to be addressed. I think it will be addressed through a trade. Maybe the Sox do a deal with Toronto with Jenks and Rios being the main players. But who knows what Ricciardi wil think Rios is worth. He way overplayed his hand with Halladay so he could do the same with other players. I think KW/OG like having that LH power bat in the middle of the lineup. That's why i think they'll make a strong FA run at Hank Blalock. He's a Thome type hitter.

IMO, they can't take long term risks with Peavy (although there seems to be insurance, like the David Wells contract, to mitigate the downside risk) AND Alex Rios both having major struggles or injury problems.

Rios is paid like an All-Star caliber player, and he hasn't been that for quite some time now.

There are many more palatable options. Before, we could have used that leverage to get Rios and Rolen for very little (just taking on the contracts, basically, for salary relief/budgetary freedom for JP), but he can't afford to make himself look bad. Many writers are already calling for him to be fired, just because he didn't trade Halladay AND for the Vernon Wells and BJ Ryan contracts...not to mention Rios'.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Ya, it's highly unlikely, but that'd be such an infusion of speed and OBP in our lineup, it'd be fantasmic.

I really think at this point, signing Podsednik to a 1-year deal fits into our plans nicely. Although he isn't an optimal solution, signing him to a reasonable salary would put less pressure on us to acquire other pieces such as another OFer and possibly a 3b.

My feeling is Kenny will push hard for an impact player such as Crawford, but if one isn't available, we'll try to make something similar to what we have going on this year work. I can't see them demoting Getz to a utility player unless there is a clear-cut improvement to be made.

I just don't see a real need to sign a guy like Figgins to a 3 year deal when he is going to be a guy that is in high demand due to his ability to leadoff and play multiple positions.

The addition of Alexei, Beckham, and Getz has made us much less vulnerable to the station - to - station nature we have been relegated to in recent years.

Here is the lineup I'm hoping for at the moment.

LF: Figgins (Pods second choice)

3B: Beckham

RF: Quentin

1B: Konerko

DH: Dye

CF: Cameron(1 year deal to span Danks)

C: Pierzynski(Flowers back-up catcher with DH at-bats, pinch hit at-bats)

SS: Ramirez

2B: Getz

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 07:55 PM)
Here is the lineup I'm hoping for at the moment.

LF: Figgins (Pods second choice)

3B: Beckham

RF: Quentin

1B: Konerko

DH: Dye

CF: Cameron(1 year deal to span Danks)

C: Pierzynski(Flowers back-up catcher with DH at-bats, pinch hit at-bats)

SS: Ramirez

2B: Getz

Palehose, that's great and all but you have to realize your first choice in Figgins is going to need a multi-year deal. Are we really going to need him that much in year 2 of his deal? Years 3 or 4? I just don't think that length of contract fits into our plans...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:01 PM)
Palehose, that's great and all but you have to realize your first choice in Figgins is going to need a multi-year deal. Are we really going to need him that much in year 2 of his deal? Years 3 or 4? I just don't think that length of contract fits into our plans...

I agree. Hahn has already indicated that they're going to spend on middle relief this winter. And I imagine that they might extend JD after that (or go after a younger power hitter on the FA market).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)

Depends on how much he's looking for. If he's looking for close to 10M a year, then I would forget all about it. If he can be had for 2-3 years 7-8M a year then I would think about it. He's a guy that can play OF, 2B, or 3B and leadoff each game.

Jared Mitchell isn't going to be ready for 2-3 years as a potential leadoff man, otherwise we don't really have any leadoff options within my view. If Pods finished off the year hitting .280+ then I'm fine with him being given another shot. He would certainly be much cheaper than Figgins, but not quite as useful.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 08:17 PM)
Depends on how much he's looking for. If he's looking for close to 10M a year, then I would forget all about it. If he can be had for 2-3 years 7-8M a year then I would think about it. He's a guy that can play OF, 2B, or 3B and leadoff each game.

Jared Mitchell isn't going to be ready for 2-3 years as a potential leadoff man, otherwise we don't really have any leadoff options within my view. If Pods finished off the year hitting .280+ then I'm fine with him being given another shot. He would certainly be much cheaper than Figgins, but not quite as useful.

I think there is going to have to be a degree of risk taken with Podsednik. If you offer him a 1-year deal in the $3-4 million range right now, I think he jumps on it, due to the recent trend his career has taken. However, if you wait until the offseason, you may be vulnerable to competition in the marketplace for a leadoff hitter, and may have to offer something in the 2/$9 million range.

I think it's worth offering him the 1-year deal now.

It's tough to guess where Figgins will come in, but my guess is barring another economic overcorrection in the marketplace that we saw last offseason (think the contracts offered to Hudson and Cabrera), I see him getting something in the 3/$27 range or 4/$36 range.

I have no interest in giving that sort of contract to Figgins.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)

The thing about Figgins is he can play all over the field, So even if he is signed for 3-4 years we should be able to find a spot somewhere to put him.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
The thing about Figgins is he can play all over the field, So even if he is signed for 3-4 years we should be able to find a spot somewhere to put him.

That doesn't mean we have to pay him $9 million a year to find a spot for him...

I REALLY REALLY want to start a string of threads about Willie Taveras coming here next offseason with KHP.

By the way, Coco Crisp might be available again if the Royals don't keep him...exactly the kind of situation where KW will go out and take a smaller risk and bring him in for one year and see what happens...like the White Sox used to do with the revolving door of RFers in the 90's like Dave Martinez, Ellis Burks, Mike Devereaux, Lyle Mouton, Cory Snyder, Shawn Lil Abner, Matt Merullo, Pasqua, etc.

TWO YEARS for CHONESTER, that's the max I would go...$16-19 million. Take it or leave it...

Edited by caulfield12

S - Figgins CF

L - Getz 2B

R - Beckham 3B

R - Quentin LF

L - Thome DH

R - Dye RF

R - Konerko 1B

L - AJP C

R - Ramirez SS

I wouldn't mind them moving AJ in the offseason he could possibly be coming off his third best season ever posting an OPS over 800, i know the rays and brewers are going to be looking for some help at C because their situations are so pronounced.

I see the sox signing both Thome and Dye to one year deals with club options for both. Thome to reach 600 in the sox uniform and provide LH power and Dye to produce in the OF till Danks and Mitchell are ready.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 08:26 AM)
Holliday won't happen - he's a Boras client.

Revised:

LF Carl Crawford

2B Gordon Beckham

DH Jermaine Dye

3B Hank Blalock (Left handed power hitter to replace Thome)

1B Paul Konerko

RF Carlos Quentin (could move up pending production)

SS Alexei Ramirez

C AJ Pierzynski

CF Coco Crisp (adds some speed, signed as a bridge)

Edited by whitesox901

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 02:38 AM)
S - Figgins CF

L - Getz 2B

R - Beckham 3B

R - Quentin LF

L - Thome DH

R - Dye RF

R - Konerko 1B

L - AJP C

R - Ramirez SS

I wouldn't mind them moving AJ in the offseason he could possibly be coming off his third best season ever posting an OPS over 800, i know the rays and brewers are going to be looking for some help at C because their situations are so pronounced.

I see the sox signing both Thome and Dye to one year deals with club options for both. Thome to reach 600 in the sox uniform and provide LH power and Dye to produce in the OF till Danks and Mitchell are ready.

AJ would be an interesting player to try and move because of his reputation around the league.

Personally, I think the return wouldn't be good enough for us to justify the risk of losing him next season. I think it's probably best to let him play out the term of his current contract and hopefully Flowers can take over from there.

I really don't think this offseason is going to be all that busy. I think you may see one or two new starting players, but you aren't going to see the Sox go out onto the free agent market and bring in 2 offensive starters when they have had as much luck as they've had with Beckham and Getz. And I don't think they'll open the checkbook for a big time infielder unless they have intentions of either moving Alexei to CF (and I highly doubt that) or trading him (which I could see as a possibility).

I think the only offensive player they'll have big interest in is Chone Figgins, and I'm not sure that they'll actually make a serious bid if his price tag is very expensive.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 02:45 AM)
AJ would be an interesting player to try and move because of his reputation around the league.

Personally, I think the return wouldn't be good enough for us to justify the risk of losing him next season. I think it's probably best to let him play out the term of his current contract and hopefully Flowers can take over from there.

yeah i think the front office is set to let him and PK ride out their contracts because they're still producing and they're fan favorites and also their heir apparents are about a half of season to season away.

If we keep AJ i hope we bring up flowers to be the back up. So that flowers can step in full time in '11 and the staff doesn't miss a beat.

honestly i could see us bringing back everyone including dotel and slowly working nunez/torres/link/hernandez into the mix. With the money coming off the books and the deals we will wind up offering dye and thome, i think the only players that don't return next year are Jenks and Jose and even then thats debatable on how hudson and some of our relief prospects do now and in sept.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 03:58 AM)
If we keep AJ i hope we bring up flowers to be the back up. So that flowers can step in full time in '11 and the staff doesn't miss a beat.

I'd like to see Flower get some DH'ing in as well (as well as backup). Let him get used to MLB piching 2-3 times a week between backup C and DH

NO way you play Q over JD in RF. You need a cannon for an arm for RF. And Q does not even compare to JD's rocket arm. I'd say Q splits time at DH and LF. And, as much as i would hate to see this, move Ramirez for prospects and perhaps bullpen help. He's got real value now and Bacon appears to be staying and should play his natural SS position. Just my thoughts.

It's a shame about the Boras thing because I think a guy like Ankiel would be a better fit than Figgins (you just need a competent backup). He should come pretty cheap and there's a decent upside. Good fielder. Crisp does nothing for me. Crawford is going to be very expensive. Depending on price you could do worse than someone like Marlon Byrd, I suppose. A Mike Cameron return seems a little unlikely, but who knows. The CF free agent class looks thin to me.

Here's my oddball, no chance of happening lineup:

1B = Nick Johnson

3B = Beckham

LF = Quentin

RF = Dye

DH = Konerko

CF = Rick Ankiel

SS = Ramirez

C = Pierzynski

2B = Getz

You improve the defense with both changes and improve the offense with one of them. A lot of folks won't like Johnson as a leadoff hitter, so if needs be you can always put Getz there and shift everyone down a spot.

The two added players both should come in pretty cheap thanks to injuries and a fairly subtle set of skills. You can replace Ankiel with Byrd if you think there's no way we sign a Boras free agent.