Gregor Speculation: Sox should offer Dye extension

DaveBrown85

"Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald says in his blog that the White Sox could sign veteran outfielder Jermaine Dye to a two-year extension and likely will cut ties with Jim Thome at the end of the season.

Gregor notes that Dye remains a productive player and enjoys playing in Chicago."

To tell you the truth wouldn't mind this at all. As long as dye DH and they get a new RF

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who preferably hits LH...so that means the likes of Dunn and/or Abreu, Blalock could also be brought in for 3B with Beckham shifting, giving us a very very potent offensive line-up.

Will probably see either Kotsay OR Wise around next year, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
Who preferably hits LH...so that means the likes of Dunn and/or Abreu, Blalock could also be brought in for 3B with Beckham shifting, giving us a very very potent offensive line-up.

i hope to god it's not wise

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)
In the future, before posting a new thread with a very deceving title, could you do a little homework first?

First off, go to the source if you are going to post something. This was from Scott Gregor yesterday.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/2371

Second, once you actually read the source, you can see Gregor is just giving his own view of things, and is citing no one in the organization.

I'm not trying to come off like a prick, but try to get the whole story before posting.

yes sir. Just trying to get something going on an off day.

Scott Gregor=not so smart as other beat writers

Really, buying into the Dye "rocket arm" crap? Yes, when he played for the Braves, or Macon in 1994.

I saw him then, because I was working with the Augusta GreenJackets. Only Jose Guillen, Vlad Guerrero and Ruben Rivera (before his injury problems) had better throwing arms.

But he hasn't been a great thrower or above average RF or 8-10 years, before the broken leg. And he catches every ball flat footed and never gets a good running start into it...heck, Pods has better throwing fundamentals, or Juan Pierre.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
But he hasn't been a great thrower or above average RF or 8-10 years, before the broken leg. And he catches every ball flat footed and never gets a good running start into it...heck, Pods has better throwing fundamentals, or Juan Pierre.

:unsure:

In terms of getting a running start, coming into the ball instead of falling back and catching on his heels or flat footed, DAMON/DEJESUS/Lance Johnson/Pierre are all WAY better than Dye.

His "reputation" about a cannon arm made him lazy and get into some bad habits and he's never corrected them, and no team has really bothered to call him out on it, either. Unfortunately. It has cost us some extra bases and runs at times over the last five seasons.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)

Really, buying into the Dye "rocket arm" crap? Yes, when he played for the Braves, or Macon in 1994.

I saw him then, because I was working with the Augusta GreenJackets. Only Jose Guillen, Vlad Guerrero and Ruben Rivera (before his injury problems) had better throwing arms.

thats why they are probably going to have him DH. and he still has as good as an arm as any other white sox outfielder. If not better

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
I think this is a move most of us here would like to see. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Jim Thome but he's not getting any younger, and numbers are slowly dropping.

And yet he still has the second-highest OPS on the team, second only to JD by 1 point (.884)...

If we want Dye back next year, please DH him. PLEASE!

It hurts me to watch him out there, running in place for balls down the line.

He's still got a great bat and good power. He's a perfect fit for the DH.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)

You are 100% correct. I love Dye but his throwing is s***.

QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
thats why they are probably going to have him DH. and he still has as good as an arm as any other white sox outfielder. If not better

In theory, yes, he should. His fundamentals are awful (where's Kalapse)?

A Dye deal for 2 years, $16 mill would be worth it to have him DH. Thome's bat looks real slow these days. I don't see him retiring. But the sox should prob. move on.

Get Figgins and the sox OF can be Pods in LF, Figgins in CF, and Q in RF.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 05:26 AM)
A Dye deal for 2 years, $16 mill would be worth it to have him DH. Thome's bat looks real slow these days. I don't see him retiring. But the sox should prob. move on.

Get Figgins and the sox OF can be Pods in LF, Figgins in CF, and Q in RF.

First off the "Thome's bat looks real slow" is tired and false. The guy is on a pace where if he had 500 AB he'd have 35 homers 115 rbi and an OBP near .400. Anyone else does that and they are godly around here.

If I were the White Sox, I certainly would wait until the end of the year to decide on JD. I don't know if he would be agreeable to an extension and thus terminating his option. He may not go for it.

As to Figgins, I've love this guy for a few years, but he has been hurt a lot and now during his contract year, he's come up huge. Considering his age and how his game is based on his legs, the only way I'd sign him is if you could get a deal like some who signed last year had to sign for, guys like Cabrera and Hudson and Abreu. I think paying him based on this season and giving him multiple years would be regrettable.

I'd love to bring back Dye on a 2 year deal. I love Thome but after this year we need to be done with him. He can probably play one more year, possibly two, but I'd rather it not be with us. Dye can fill in at the DH where he should have pretty productive years and he could still always spell someone in the OF if he had to.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)

Love Dunn's bat, but you don't want to see him anywhere near the outfield. 1B or DH only for him. Dunn is the best way to make a terrible defensive outfield even worse.

Dye's fielding numbers and his outfield arms #'s are down from a season ago, so this obviously make some sense.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/main/player/911/

But don't count out Jim Thome yet either.

If he finished the season with an OPS of .886, I'd certainly want him back for another season in the DH spot if the price was right.

You'd have to find a replacement OF for Dye in any case, and didn't Dunn sign a 2 year deal last off-season (or it may be a 1 with an option, I can't remember 100%).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 05:20 AM)
If I were the White Sox, I certainly would wait until the end of the year to decide on JD. I don't know if he would be agreeable to an extension and thus terminating his option. He may not go for it.

Also, an he'd probably want a three-year extension. I'm not sure if I'd want Dye on the books at age 38.

Picking up the option on his current contract may not be a bad move, if the Sox want to be in "go-for-it" mode next year without committing a ton of long-term money. Sure, you'd be over-paying him for one year by this economy's standards ($11M), but it'd still be cheaper than a multi-year deal. And you avoid potentially paying a diminished-skills JD two or three years from now. JD coming off the books next winter would also free up money to re-sign a younger Paulie, or an even younger FA.

Then again, this may be the last time that JD will be able to get a multi-year deal, so he might not want to go this route (his option is mutual).

It's not like Thome is performing so poorly as to why some, like myself, want to get rid of him.

He can still produce pretty well but reality is - his numbers have declined every year since he has been here. And don't say he is bouncing back this season because his numbers are not monumentally different right now in avg/obp/ops...and september is historically his worst month I believe. Including last September where I believe he was below the Mendosa line. So its still early yet for him to fall below last seasons production - if he stays where he is...he'll be up in some and down in other categories.

Now all of this isn't a case of why Thome sucks. Because he doesnt. He's a beast. It's just not in our clubs best interest to keep him and his salary while he is at an age when everything can go in season. He is old and isn't a speed guy. He takes huge hacks and we can say he isnt losing it but it's a business and you need to play somethings safe - investing in a 40 year old DH isn't one of them.

And thats the reason we need to part ways. It'll suck and be a bad PR move even I feel but he understands the nature of the beast and when guys hit his age - teams lose faith if they can improve another way. Dye to DH gives us a little better production - at worst the same. He gives an option to slide into RF once a week or twice even if need be. And we can improve the club by getting a player who can play out there with better defense and still be a factor at the dish.

Now - regardless of your stance with this. Thome is a great guy and he understands business. I wonder if we work something out with him that says he doesnt accept our arbitration and tests the market (cuz he is Type A) and if some team is willing to pay the pick for him (it's not cabrera but I am sure teams will still shy away) - so be it. If not, we can see where we stand and bring him back for a cheap contract. I think he is a an honorable guy who'd consider that.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar