Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:55 AM)
Thats about the exact opposite of him saying he will deny it. He is saying that he has to assume he will be a Jay and can't think about all that other crap.

Jesus man, stop reading so much into all these bs quotes from these guys. There is absolutely nothing "between the lines" in any of these quotes, its just standard issue fabricated one liners. Nothing more.

I was posting that quote with full intention of insinuating he wouldn't block a deal that would send him anywhere.

Rios' name has been in trade talks for years now and I'm sure he's grown more sick of it than he's let on.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I am not confirming or denying any interest or any claims or anything," Williams said. "But if these things get out on a daily basis, boy, it's going to be a heck of an August around here around in terms of how many players you claim and how many you don't claim."

That's pretty much saying it's on without saying it

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?i...ce=MLBHeadlines

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:55 AM)
He isn't allowed to say he made the claim, or if he didn't make the claim. Your not allowed to speak about it to the media. KW is doing what he has to do just tip toe around the questions.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winna!!!

Here is what i think happened. KW knows he needs to find a true CF (im sure he's tired of all the CF criticism.) He looks at the Free Agent market and doesn't really see a true CF that would help our team. KW woke up one morning saw that Detroit claimed Rios. He said "I dont think so. . we need a CF!" So KW claimed Rios.

This solves our defensive CF issue for 5+ years. We have potentially 40 million off the books after this season. So most of that 40 million would be going to arbitration players such as Q and Danks as well as newcomers Rios and Peavy. But it could definitley work and i expect a deal to get done by tuesday. We would still have enough money to bring in Figgins or even re-sign Pods.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:27 AM)
He CAN'T say anything about it. Do people expect him to just say "yeah I'm goin after Rios, just got off the phone with JP."

I understand that, but the quote implies that when the media says its most likely the White Sox, they are usually wrong. Of course his other quote in that story was that it was very unusual to get a good player for nothing, and we know he thinks Rios is a good player, so ...........

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 06:11 AM)
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winna!!!

Here is what i think happened. KW knows he needs to find a true CF (im sure he's tired of all the CF criticism.) He looks at the Free Agent market and doesn't really see a true CF that would help our team. KW woke up one morning saw that Detroit claimed Rios. He said "I dont think so. . we need a CF!" So KW claimed Rios.

This solves our defensive CF issue for 5+ years. We have potentially 40 million off the books after this season. So most of that 40 million would be going to arbitration players such as Q and Danks as well as newcomers Rios and Peavy. But it could definitley work and i expect a deal to get done by tuesday. We would still have enough money to bring in Figgins or even re-sign Pods.

You don't get to see what other teams have claimed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)
You don't get to see what other teams have claimed.

Are you sure about that? I thought that there was a long run of teams 'blocking' other teams who had made a claim, or had worked out trades with a team if a player had cleared waivers. Randy Myers comes to mind, Padres claiming him so Atlanta couldn't, and they got stuck. How did they know Atlanta wanted him? Just askin, i don't know.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Are you sure about that? I thought that there was a long run of teams 'blocking' other teams who had made a claim, or had worked out trades with a team if a player had cleared waivers. Randy Myers comes to mind, Padres claiming him so Atlanta couldn't, and they got stuck. How did they know Atlanta wanted him? Just askin, i don't know.

Yes. I think when the waiver is awarded, you can see who it was that was awarded the claim, but for instance you can't go in the system and see the Tigers claimed him, so you can put in a claim. Teams block others because they hear the rumors and talk to GMs so they pretty much know who is looking for what. Its an educated guess when trying to block waiver claims.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
If this is true, between Rios, Peavy and the Coyotes, JR is really spending like the proverbial drunken sailor of late. Ben Gordon must really feel dissed.

The Coyotes have nothing to do with the White Sox or Bulls spending. It doesn't work that way.

As for the Sox specifically. You have to hand it to JR and the Sox management. By making their cuts early in anticipation of what was going to happen, they set themselves up to take advantage of the other teams in baseball's problems. They already took one of the best pitchers in baseball, and now they are closing in potentially on their CF for the forseeable future.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 09:42 AM)
Yes. I think when the waiver is awarded, you can see who it was that was awarded the claim, but for instance you can't go in the system and see the Tigers claimed him, so you can put in a claim. Teams block others because they hear the rumors and talk to GMs so they pretty much know who is looking for what. Its an educated guess when trying to block waiver claims.

Claims are filed into the offices of MLB. They accumulate the lists of who is making claims and make the call on who "wins" the claim. The team being awarded the claim, and the team making the waiver are informed of their respective statuses and who their potential partner is exactly. That opens their window for negotiations and decisions and go from there.

Didn't the Sox save a ton of cash last offseason with the dumping of Javy(10), Swish(6-7?), Joe(5), the crazy SS(8-9?)?

That in itself has paid for Peavy and Rios (if he comes).

Then with the departures of Dye, Thome, and the Count there's still lot's of money to sign a lead off man and a quality 5th starter.

QUOTE (black jack @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
Didn't the Sox save a ton of cash last offseason with the dumping of Javy(10), Swish(6-7?), Joe(5), the crazy SS(8-9?)?

Then with the departures of Dye, Thome, and the Count there's still lot's of money to sign a lead off man and a quality 5th starter.

At least 1 of those 3 should be back. Possibly 2 of the 3.

QUOTE (black jack @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)

Yep there is finally some spending cash. Lets not forget that AJ and PK are off the books after 2010 so thats another 18 million. If KW doesnt aqcuire Rios, he could definitley go after one or even two top tier free agents this winter.

Hardball Times, which is generally speculative about everything Kenny Williams, asks Why Should I Care About Alex Rios? The answer is because he's still pretty good.

"Add all of that up and Rios, who is right in the middle of his prime, is projected to be worth 31.5 runs above replacement. A three-win player like Rios on the free agent market would command somewhere between $12-$15 million per year in the short-term. Did I mention that Rios is making an average of $11.7 million over the next 5 years, and the Blue Jays hold a 2015 option for $13.5 million? In other words, Alex Rios is a bargain. The Blue Jays shouldn't be looking to dump his salary on the waiver wire. They should be looking to build around this guy for the duration of his valuable contract." http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_art...bout-alex-rios/

Edited by Thunderbolt

Here is an old (2005) Steve Phillps collumn, its an ESPN Insider article, so I won't post the whole article:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/sto...&id=2130379

I wonder if that worked.

Anyways, looks like Toronto placed Rios on the waiver wire on Wednesday. The Sox (or/and another teams) put a claim on him between 2pm ET Wednesday and 1pm ET on Friday). The Blue Jays were told who made a claim on Rios and who won the claim on Rios at 1 ET on Friday. The White Sox (or another team) were told they were awarded the claim at 1pm ET on Friday. Now the Blue Jays and the Sox (or whoever won the claim) have until Tuesday at 1:30 ET to work out a deal. If not, Rios is automatically recalled back off waivers.

Phillips also says if a player has a NTC, he can block this transaction from happening, whether it be a trade or a straight up player transfer. He also states that a PTNL in the trade cannot an "active major league player." He also later says that "Remember, all 40-man roster players must go through waivers in order to change teams even if they are in the minor leagues." So no Fields in the deal.

Just to clear up any questions on how "Major League Waivers" work.

It’s bouncing around the net (Baseball Prospectus has a mention about it) that the Jays are strongly considering just giving Rios and his salary over, without any moves in return. Apparently, they’d like to work something out, but haven’t ruled out simply making it a straight waver claim. So, nothing really new to report, but the story has legs.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
It’s bouncing around the net (Baseball Prospectus has a mention about it) that the Jays are strongly considering just giving Rios and his salary over, without any moves in return. Apparently, they’d like to work something out, but haven’t ruled out simply making it a straight waver claim. So, nothing really new to report, but the story has legs.

Call me crazy but i think Rios will be a member of the Sox by Tuesday. :headbang

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)

It's very possible that they work out a hand shake sweet heart deal for this, where in the offseason KW makes a lopsided trade in Toronto's favor. This would be because of the difficulty of getting a trade done through waivers.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
It's very possible that they work out a hand shake sweet heart deal for this, where in the offseason KW makes a lopsided trade in Toronto's favor. This would be because of the difficulty of getting a trade done through waivers.

I disagree. The sox could give them a decent deal by including players not on the 40 man roster. It really depends on if the Jays want to rid themselves of the large contract, or get the most in return from Rios as possible. If the Jays want to get the most for Rios, they should wait until the offseason. If they want to rid salary, they should definitely do the deal with the sox.

So I don't have to read through 14 pages, could someone please summarize this situation for me? Like what are the odds of this actually happening? Any speculation on what we'd have to give up? What are his contract details? He's a nice player. Not a star but plays good defense, has some pop, decent average, and can steal bases. He could definitely be the CF next year.

Oh, and where would he play?