Give Getz a shot

RockRaines

Chris Getz has a line of .296 .359 in 22 games since the ASB. In July and August he has started to show a better ability to avoid the strikeout and get on base. When Rios is in the lineup, he should be in CF and I think we should give Getz a shot to hit leadoff.

This would be my lineup.

1. Getz 2B

2. Beckham 3B

3. Quentin LF

4. Thome DH

5. Konerko 1B

6. Dye RF

7. AJP C

8. Rios CF

9. Alexei SS

Speed and power to turn the lineup over, everyone but Getz is a HR threat. SB threats at 1, 2, 8, 9. I think Beckham+Q works out pitchers alot more than when Dye is in the 3-hole.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
I think Beckham+Q works out pitchers alot more than when Dye is in the 3-hole.

I do like your lineup, and I agree Becks to Q is a good idea. I'm a proponent of moving JD down to 6 but leaving him in the lineup. Many people have been saying to sit Dye outright but I think he needs to stay in, just not in a key position to set up the rest of the lineup. Q has been hitting the ball hard the past couple series and would be a good hitter to follow Becks.

As far as Rios and Getz go, I'm still up in the air as to having Getz leadoff. I understand his numbers are up as of late but we brought Rios in for a reason.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Chris Getz has a line of .296 .359 in 22 games since the ASB. In July and August he has started to show a better ability to avoid the strikeout and get on base. When Rios is in the lineup, he should be in CF and I think we should give Getz a shot to hit leadoff.

This would be my lineup.

1. Getz 2B

2. Beckham 3B

3. Quentin LF

4. Thome DH

5. Konerko 1B

6. Dye RF

7. AJP C

8. Rios CF

9. Alexei SS

Speed and power to turn the lineup over, everyone but Getz is a HR threat. SB threats at 1, 2, 8, 9. I think Beckham+Q works out pitchers alot more than when Dye is in the 3-hole.

Completely disagree (see the thread I just started)....Pods/Rio/Getz belong at the bottom of the order.

Why would we want Alexei Ramirez to get the least number of at-bats of any player in the line-up? And you still have an incredibly slow, plodding 3-7 in the order, with Quentin's foot not 100%.

You have to break up that 3-7 a little bit. But no way should Chris Getz be getting the most at-bats of any player on the team. He's not Vince Coleman from the 85-87 Cardinals either...and it's not like he's going to give you more than 30-40 stolen bases in a full season if he was leading off every game.

He's a rookie, he's had a hot streak (you noted the best 22 game stretch), but how likely is that to continue in his rookie season as the dog days of summer stretch across the horizon....do we really believe Chris Getz is a legit .350-.360 OBP guy on a regular, consistent, season-long basis? Really?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
I have too much respect for what JD has accomplished over the last five seasons with the White Sox to demote him to the 7th spot just yet.

Then demote him to the 6th spot. Benching JD would be disrespectful. Moving him down in the lineup would be playing the hot hand and trying to spark an offense that isn't scoring runs. JD has 11 million reasons to not take it personally.

i've warmed up to the idea of beckham leading off.

for one, he's one of our best on-base guys and he almost always puts good at-bats together. he's not a great base-stealer at this point but he has speed and can affect the game in that way. plus you just know that with his baseball iq he'd adjust his game to what that spots requires.

i do know he's a big rbi guy and that's a drawback. still, i have a hard time believing he wouldn't perform better in that spot than anyone else on our roster.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
i've warmed up to the idea of beckham leading off.

for one, he's one of our best on-base guys and he almost always puts good at-bats together. he's not a great base-stealer at this point but he has speed and can affect the game in that way. plus you just know that with his baseball iq he'd adjust his game to what that spots requires.

i do know he's a big rbi guy and that's a drawback. still, i have a hard time believing he wouldn't perform better in that spot than anyone else on our roster.

I was just thinking about this today. The RBI thing is a HUGE drawback, but to be honest, I've seen PODS with more high-leverage at bats with men on base lately than almost any other player, I'd much rather have Becks in that situation when the lineup turns over. its a very subjective observation however.

Rios in the 8th spot? Nah...

When Pods is out of the lineup...

Rios-cf (his stats will no doubt improve hitting at the Cell)

Beckham-3b

Q-lf (coming on of late, deserves the 3 spot much more than JD)

Thome-dh

Dye-rf

aj-c

Paulie-1b

Lexi-ss

Getz-2b

When Pods is in the lineup...

Pods-lf

beckham-3b

Q-dh

aj-c (just to break up the parade of right handed hitters)

dye-rf

rios-cf

paulie-1b

lexi-ss

getz-2b

Really Dye and Paulie are interchangeable, put them where you want because they're basically the same hitter. Both lineups would have speed at the top and bottom, and once the lineup turns over during the game you've got 3 speed guys at 8-9-1 to set the table. There are many variations depending who gets the day off, whether there is a lefty throwing against us (in which case Thome should ride the pines in most cases). Rios can play anywhere in the outfield and anyone can be plugged into the dh spot--even pods if you want both him and quentin in the lineup. None of these are perfect of course, but like Ozzie said it's a nice headache to have trying to figure out the various lineup possibilities!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
I was just thinking about this today. The RBI thing is a HUGE drawback, but to be honest, I've seen PODS with more high-leverage at bats with men on base lately than almost any other player, I'd much rather have Becks in that situation when the lineup turns over. its a very subjective observation however.

yeah, i haven't numbers-crunched or anything but the more i think about him in the lead-off spot the more i like it.

i think eventually, as his power develops, he'll just naturally fall at two or three. but since his power isn't totally there yet i think he can help leading off. and i love the idea of starting most games with a guy on second.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
yeah, i haven't numbers-crunched or anything but the more i think about him in the lead-off spot the more i like it.

i think eventually, as his power develops, he'll just naturally fall at two or three. but since his power isn't totally there yet i think he can help leading off. and i love the idea of starting most games with a guy on second.

Those gappers that are doubles will eventually develop into homers and those singes will be liner doubles. He'll eventually fall back in the lineup and it looks like as a #3 hitter with Q behind him at 4 and probably Flowers at 5.

QUOTE (Requiem Schmuquiem @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
Good line-up. But at this moment it's hard not to put AJ in 4th and Dye 7th. AJ is swinging the best stick of his career, and unlike Thome does NOT need a hanger to make contact.

QUOTE (suicidesqueeze @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
Rios in the 8th spot? Nah...

Really Dye and Paulie are interchangeable, put them where you want because they're basically the same hitter. Both lineups would have speed at the top and bottom, and once the lineup turns over during the game you've got 3 speed guys at 8-9-1 to set the table. There are many variations depending who gets the day off, whether there is a lefty throwing against us (in which case Thome should ride the pines in most cases). Rios can play anywhere in the outfield and anyone can be plugged into the dh spot--even pods if you want both him and quentin in the lineup. None of these are perfect of course, but like Ozzie said it's a nice headache to have trying to figure out the various lineup possibilities!

Also Brando, I presume.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

Getz is the weakest hitting guy in the order, and should hit last in any lineup since presumably DeWayne Wise isn't going to be starting any more games. To me, with Dye in a horrible hitting slump, Quentin should go back to hitting #3, with Dye sliding back to #6, where's he's been before. And Rios should move around depending on who's sitting that day, including hitting lead off if Pods sits.

There you go. Beckham > Pods with RISP, and the bottom of our lineup does a pretty damn good job getting on base. When your worst hitter is Chris Getz, you're pretty damn good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)

This would be my lineup.

1. Getz 2B

2. Beckham 3B

3. Quentin LF

4. Thome DH

5. Konerko 1B

6. Dye RF

7. AJP C

8. Rios CF

9. Alexei SS

This absolutely what we should be doing. I would, however, switch Rios with AJ. Lefty/right splits be damned, I’d prefer to see Rios gets more AB’s.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
Then demote him to the 6th spot. Benching JD would be disrespectful. Moving him down in the lineup would be playing the hot hand and trying to spark an offense that isn't scoring runs. JD has 11 million reasons to not take it personally.

It is disrespectful and just plain wrong. I think the lineup issue is always in flux and right now calls to bench people or move them up and down in the line up is being based on just a few games. There are for sure possibilities to be looked at though

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
It is disrespectful and just plain wrong. I think the lineup issue is always in flux and right now calls to bench people or move them up and down in the line up is being based on just a few games. There are for sure possibilities to be looked at though

Moving JD back three spots in the lineup would be based on several weeks of not hitting. If JD couldn't handle that, I'd put him on waivers.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)

So we should let him flounder in a prime offensive position based on what, respect. We are down by 2 games in the division race, and have a tough schedule. Screw personal gain. All hands on deck. Whomever produces gets to play. Whomever hits well gets to hit in the 3-4-5 hole. Its August, not April.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
So we should let him flounder in a prime offensive position based on what, respect. We are down by 2 games in the division race, and have a tough schedule. Screw personal gain. All hands on deck. Whomever produces gets to play. Whomever hits well gets to hit in the 3-4-5 hole. Its August, not April.

Given JD's career and his history with the Sox, I believe that he's earned the right to play through a slump. But not at the top of the lineup, or even the middle of the lineup.

Edited by WCSox