Jake Peavy Update Thread

WSoxMatt

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicago White Sox right-handed pitcher Jake Peavy will try to throw a side session on Thursday in Boston, according to a White Sox source.

Depending on the results, Peavy could make another minor-league start on Sunday or Monday for Triple-A Charlotte.

It was decided after Peavy was hit in his pitching elbow with a line drive in his Monday start for Charlotte in the International League that he should make one more rehab start.

If Peavy is able to get his pitch count up between 80-90 he could start against the Boston Red Sox at U.S. Cellular Field during the Sept. 4-7 series.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
There is absolutely no reason to shut Peavy down just to shut him down. Its not some sort of arm injury where over use may hurt him. So unless the Sox are statistically eliminated you might as well have him pitch.

If the Sox are statistically eliminated, I'd limit him to bullpen sessions and would also shut down a couple of other starters. There's no point in fielding your best team after you've been eliminated. Hell, Peavy just took a line drive to his pitching elbow in a rehab start. Why subject highly-paid veterans to more injuries when you're no longer playing for anything?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
If the Sox are statistically eliminated, I'd limit him to bullpen sessions and would also shut down a couple of other starters. There's no point in fielding your best team after you've been eliminated. Hell, Peavy just took a line drive to his pitching elbow in a rehab start. Why subject highly-paid veterans to more injuries when you're no longer playing for anything?

If he's healthy, let him pitch. If anything it will keep the rust off of him and let him begin to get acclimated to the American League. I don't believe in shutting guys down just because. If the ankle's healthy and Peavy's ready, he should be pitching.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
There is absolutely no reason to shut Peavy down just to shut him down. Its not some sort of arm injury where over use may hurt him. So unless the Sox are statistically eliminated you might as well have him pitch.

Last I checked, a line drive off of the elbow is quite possibly an arm injury.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
If he's healthy, let him pitch. If anything it will keep the rust off of him and let him begin to get acclimated to the American League. I don't believe in shutting guys down just because. If the ankle's healthy and Peavy's ready, he should be pitching.

Yeah, hopefully his pitching elbow is healthy after taking that line drive the other day.

If the Sox are out of it, I could see giving him a start or two in September, but there's no reason to run the guy out there every fifth day when the team is mathematically eliminated and there's nothing to gain from it. Running Peavy out there like you're still in a pennant race may sell tickets but if he gets hurt out there, you'll look pretty foolish. You're better off giving those starts to guys like Hudson and Torres. Heck, I'd even be willing to give Garcia more work, to see if he might be a #5 option next year.

I'd also be for shutting down Danks (who threw a lot more innings than usual last year) and Buehrle (who has a gazillion innings on his arm and has sucked for the past month or so).

Edited by WCSox

Its not some sort of arm injury where over use may hurt him.

Taking a line drive off the arm is not an injury where using it is likely going to cause more injury. It is either injured or its not.

Unless you believe that a bruise is that type of injury?

Im just going to assume that wasnt a serious answer for the sake of my sanity.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
Taking a line drive off the arm is not an injury where using it is likely going to cause more injury. It is either injured or its not.

I believe his point is that putting Peavy out on the mound in a live game situation exposes him to potential injury (like getting hit in the pitching arm with a line drive). If a team is mathematically eliminated, you might want to reconsider putting your recently-injured $70 million pitcher in that situation again.

Wcsox,

And Peavy could get hit by a line drive while sitting on the bench and have to have his arm amputated.

If your healthy and your not "hurting" you play. He has pitched significantly less innings this year, he might as well get some work in before taking another long hiatus.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
Wcsox,

And Peavy could get hit by a line drive while sitting on the bench and have to have his arm amputated.

And the probabilities of those two incidents are very comparable. Good one.

If your healthy and your not "hurting" you play. He has pitched significantly less innings this year, he might as well get some work in before taking another long hiatus.

How would Peavy "getting work in before taking another long hiatus" help the team next season? Wouldn't giving those innings to Hudson, Torres, and Garcia (who may be slugging it out for the #5 spot next season) benefit the organization a little more? I'm all for a start or two, but there's no point in running him out there every fifth day if the Sox are already eliminated from contention.

It sound to me like a lot of Sox fans are just overly-anxious to watch Peavy pitch. I'm excited as well but, geez.

The probabilities of either happening are pretty low. How many times this year have you seen a pitcher on the Sox get hit with a line drive on the elbow?

How many times have you seen a line drive hit into the Sox dugout?

Both are relatively rare occurrences which is why you dont manage your team based on "fear of injury."

How would Peavy "getting work in before taking another long hiatus" help the team next season? Wouldn't giving those innings to Hudson, Torres, and Garcia (who may be slugging it out for the #5 spot next season) benefit the organization a little more? I'm all for a start or two, but there's no point in running him out there every fifth day if the Sox are already eliminated from contention.

Well it would give Peavy a chance to play with the Sox in regular season action. It will allow him to get comfortable with AJ and his defense. It will also give our coaches a chance to watch Peavy play for us.

As for being patient, this isnt about patient or impatient. Its not like Peavy has a shoulder strain and if he over works it he may risk next season. His injury seems to be completely healed and he seems fine. There is no reason he shouldnt be pitching.

You dont just shut down players to shut them down.