Jake Peavy Update Thread

WSoxMatt

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
The probabilities of either happening are pretty low. How many times this year have you seen a pitcher on the Sox get hit with a line drive on the elbow?

I've seen a few pitchers get hit in the head with line drives this year. I've also seen two pitchers currently on the Sox roster suffer ankle injuries within the past 12 months.

Both are relatively rare occurrences which is why you dont manage your team based on "fear of injury."

You also don't throw players out there in meaningless games simply because some fans want to see them pitch.

You dont just shut down players to shut them down.

That's correct. You limit their playing time in meaningless games to (1) limit their exposure to potential injures and (2) let minor leaguers show what they can do in the bigs.

I'm not saying that Peavy shouldn't pitch at all this year. It's just a lot more sensible to limit his starts if the Sox are out of contention.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
You also don't throw players out there in meaningless games simply because some fans want to see them pitch.

If these games are meaningless then shut down Beckham, Getz, Buehrle, Rios, Q, Floyd, Danks, and Thornton.

So you are agreeing with what I first said;

There is absolutely no reason to shut Peavy down just to shut him down. Its not some sort of arm injury where over use may hurt him. So unless the Sox are statistically eliminated you might as well have him pitch.

The last part I say "unless the Sox are statistically eliminated", as of now the Sox arent statistically eliminated therefore I am saying he should pitch.

Are you actually saying something different, or are you just arguing to argue?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
So you are agreeing with what I first said;

The last part I say "unless the Sox are statistically eliminated", as of now the Sox arent statistically eliminated therefore I am saying he should pitch.

I missed that, just as you missed me stating it earlier multiple times...

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
If the Sox are statistically eliminated, I'd limit him to bullpen sessions and would also shut down a couple of other starters. There's no point in fielding your best team after you've been eliminated. Hell, Peavy just took a line drive to his pitching elbow in a rehab start. Why subject highly-paid veterans to more injuries when you're no longer playing for anything?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 27, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
I believe his point is that putting Peavy out on the mound in a live game situation exposes him to potential injury (like getting hit in the pitching arm with a line drive). If a team is mathematically eliminated, you might want to reconsider putting your recently-injured $70 million pitcher in that situation again

Are you actually saying something different, or are you just arguing to argue?

LOL, coming from the guy who gets paid to argue for a living. :P

Edited by WCSox

I understand the reasoning behind shutting him down and playing it safe. However, there is so much to gain even if the team is eliminated. If the four pitchers start dominating, then that winning attitude could carry over to next season.

I liken it to the Sox not letting Mark Buehrle slide on the tarps during rain. These decisions just takes a little more fun out of the game.

As long as his motion isn't screwed up by his ankle or his elbow, the benefits of having him pitch are greater than the benefits of shutting him down the rest of the year IMO even if the Sox fall far back and out of contention. Let him get his feet wet in the AL and give him some peace of mind in the offseason. If he dominates, he may be able to sell some ticket packages and earn some renewals.

If Peavy really wanted to be a jackass, he could demand a trade.

Edited by Dick Allen

Typical Sox case of Murphy's Law regarding Peavy.

We acquire him thinking we can keep it close until September and bam we go 3-3 versus KC and the O's at home, which was such a choke job, then play predictably bad (in terms of the bottom line wins and losses) on the road trip from hell.

There is no reason to pitch Peavy the rest of the season. Why not just rest him and Buehrle for that matter, too.

What is the purpose?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)

We acquire him thinking we can keep it close until September and bam we go 3-3 versus KC and the O's at home, which was such a choke job, then play predictably bad (in terms of the bottom line wins and losses) on the road trip from hell.

There is no reason to pitch Peavy the rest of the season. Why not just rest him and Buehrle for that matter, too.

What is the purpose?

They still have a chance. You start him now as long as its not going to endanger his health for next year hopefully to win, but if not, it can take any doubt out of his mind for next year, get some of the rust off and get him acclimated to the league and the team. The Sox had to pay him close to $4 million this season. I don't think they want to shut him down with zero appearances. I'm sure they want to use him for advertising purposes as well, and missing most of this year without throwing a pitch for the Sox would really make that difficult although I'm sure his health going forward is far more important.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)

What is the purpose?

Thats the spirit! Lets just swap AAA with the major league roster then. Wouldn't wanna risk injury on anyone.

Peavy with tightness near his elbow. If this isn't related to getting hit by the line drive, then someone in the Sox organization needs to lose their job. There's no reason at all for him to be pitching right now unless he's 100 percent. It's just baffling how awful our trades have been this year with regards to on the field productivity.

Peavy taken out after 3 1/3 against Norfolk. Apparent injury.

I'm beginning to wonder more and more ... why didn't we wait until the offseason to acquire this guy?

Hindsight is 20/20, armchair quarterbacking sucks, but how did this help our team THIS YEAR? It didn't except get rid of two possible contributing pitchers for THIS SEASON.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
I'm beginning to wonder more and more ... why didn't we wait until the offseason to acquire this guy?

Hindsight is 20/20, armchair quarterbacking sucks, but how did this help our team THIS YEAR? It didn't except get rid of two possible contributing pitchers for THIS SEASON.

It was a trade more for next year and KW said as much.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
Peavy with tightness near his elbow. If this isn't related to getting hit by the line drive, then someone in the Sox organization needs to lose their job. There's no reason at all for him to be pitching right now unless he's 100 percent.

Yet, the prevailing wisdom in this thread is that Peavy should make as many starts as possible in September. Because, you know, showing that Kenny got a good deal ASAP and appeasing overly-eager fans is more important than the long-term interests of this organization.

Just f'n shut him down. He can pitch next year when we're playing for something important.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
It was a trade more for next year and KW said as much.

Might have saved my boy Dex from bein dealt with a bit less asked for in the offseason, (though that could irrelevant too) but Heads is right. Were set for next year especially considering Contreras and others will probably be gone. Think of it as signing Peavy in the offseason to a nice contract. Hudson will also save some pain as well, especially for Richard who many here liked.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
Might have saved my boy Dex from bein dealt with a bit less asked for in the offseason, (though that could irrelevant too) but Heads is right. Were set for next year especially considering Contreras and others will probably be gone. Think of it as signing Peavy in the offseason to a nice contract. Hudson will also save some pain as well, especially for Richard who many here liked.

Worth noting...Richard's ERA in S.D. is 5.22 since the trade. It's also possible he could have spent the rest of the season in Chicago doing his best Contreras impression and had his value go down too. I think Dex was struggling with the Pads a bit too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 09:31 PM)
Worth noting...Richard's ERA in S.D. is 5.22 since the trade. It's also possible he could have spent the rest of the season in Chicago doing his best Contreras impression and had his value go down too. I think Dex was struggling with the Pads a bit too.

I know about Richard. Hell his numbers on the road are bad, and his numbers at Petco are amazing as of now so he's been up and down, though he had a nice arm and you can't fault other posters for liking a guy who actually threw harder than his scouting report suggested. And from what I hear, they are tweaking Dex's mechanics over there in Fort Wayne though not 100% sure on that email. And he's still very young, though I woulda loved to see him still with our guys continuing to work on that changeup.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 09:40 PM)
FWIW, Dex has let up 17 runs in the same amount of time it's taken him to get 7 outs.

Ya been keeping an eye on him. I have no idea what those SD coaches are telling him or doing to him, but it isn't working.