ESPN Feature on AJ

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
I keep seeing people saying this, but I honestly can't recall seeing a post about wanting to trade AJ. I'm sure someone will provide a link to one, and I thank you in advance, but I just cannot remember someone saying it.

There hasn't been a thread dedicated to it, but it's been brought up many times when people talk about who we should let go in the off-season. It's not a large contingent, but it has been brought up.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
There hasn't been a thread dedicated to it, but it's been brought up many times when people talk about who we should let go in the off-season. It's not a large contingent, but it has been brought up.

Hey, maybe it's the few people I don't bother reading. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
The majority of us want to have the best of both worlds. Keep AJ, while easing Flowers into the starting role.

That's why it'd be great to sign someone in the offseason who plays IF or OF and could back-up at catcher every now and then. That would allow us to use either AJ or Flowers as the DH sometimes and not worry about the pitcher having to bat if the starting catcher were to get hurt.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
That's why it'd be great to sign someone in the offseason who plays IF or OF and could back-up at catcher every now and then. That would allow us to use either AJ or Flowers as the DH sometimes and not worry about the pitcher having to bat if the starting catcher were to get hurt.

Are there any of those types in baseball now who actually would catch unless it was an emergency ? Don't think so. No manager will put that kind of guy behind the plate for any reason but an emergency. You see more emergency pitchers than u do catchers like Nick Green ( who's a shortstop) yesterday.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Are there any of those types in baseball now who actually would catch unless it was an emergency ? Don't think so. No manager will put that kind of guy behind the plate for any reason but an emergency. You see more emergency pitchers than u do catchers like Nick Green ( who's a shortstop) yesterday.

Pablo Sandoval

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
What legs?

good point. See, they should have done that sooner.

That may have turned out to be Hawk's worse plan. I'm not saying the logic wasn't conventional and plausible, but Fisk sure proved him wrong.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
Pablo Sandoval

You said someone we can sign in the off season. He won't be a free agent . He's only 23 and a hitting machine. Kung Fu Panda is a beast . He's making under 500K this year. He's probably a guy the Giant's wouldn't think of trading.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
AJ's a winner, plain and simple. Gotta love the guy.

A lot of people credit Ozzie for changing the culture and attitude of our team and rightfully so. However, I think AJ should get a lot of credit as well. He brought over a winning swagger and the 'i'll do anything to win' attitude that we never had. AJ is awesome and he is having another solid season.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 28, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
You said someone we can sign in the off season. He won't be a free agent . He's only 23 and a hitting machine. Kung Fu Panda is a beast . He's making under 500K this year. He's probably a guy the Giant's wouldn't think of trading.

Yes but then you said are there of those types in baseball. I answered that. He was the first, and only to come to mind. But that doesnt mean there arent more, i just don't know. And i'm not asking for a guy who even would ever start a game. Just a guy who has played there before so if an in-game injury occurred and our backup was at DH, he could catch for a few innings and know what he was doing.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
Yes but then you said are there of those types in baseball. I answered that. He was the first, and only to come to mind. But that doesnt mean there arent more, i just don't know. And i'm not asking for a guy who even would ever start a game. Just a guy who has played there before so if an in-game injury occurred and our backup was at DH, he could catch for a few innings and know what he was doing.

Jake Fox would know what he's doing, even if it wasn't well.