Thome, $ to LAD for Fuller-Jose to COL for $, Hynick

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
So you just skipped the "Everett OR THOMAS" part?

Did you see Frank Thomas play in Toronto? Not that pretty.

He wasn't even as good as Jim in 06, his last really productive year.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
Did you see Frank Thomas play in Toronto? Not that pretty.

He wasn't even as good as Jim in 06, his last really productive year.

The Thomas + Rowand against Thome debate is kind of silly because there are too many variables.

Comparing their 2006 seasons on paper is easy. If you start saying one is so much better than the other, then you'll have to look at all the aspects of things. Thomas put up that season playing with a lesser offense, a worse ballpark, and a non-contending team.

They both had very good seasons. The Thome trade happened and thats kind of the end of it. Right or wrong can't be changed at this point.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
That whole scenario is your hindsight is 20/20.

Had we known in 2005 that Thomas would stay healthy in 06' and put up similar numbers to Thome - then obviously keeping Rowand and Frank would look to have served us better on paper.

Had you also told us it would take another 3+ years to find a centerfielder, then yes, we probably wouldn't have made those deals.

Some see Kenny Williams using the 05' World Series to remove a "bad seed" in Thomas and being able to get away with it. Others feel he truly did what he felt was best for the organization so I can't fault him for the deal.

Thome played well for us over the years. Obviously not having another ring and only one trip to the playoffs during his tenure here isn't what was the plan from the day the deal was made. To say it was a stupid move at the time is wrong and to put any blame on Thome is wrong.

However, in hindsight. Things may have been better served with keeping Rowand and Frank. Assuming Frank would've produced as he did in 06' and then us being able to have replaced him after that. Unfortunately, that is not how things work.

Considering that the entire team tanked in 2007, that Frank was worthless after 2007, and that Rowand would've left as a free agent after 2007, keeping Rowand and Frank would've only benefitted the Sox in 2006. I think that a Thome/Anderson in 2006 and 2008 would've worked better in hindsight. If we had Frank instead of Thome last year, I don't think that we win the division.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Considering that the entire team tanked in 2007, that Frank was worthless after 2007, and that Rowand would've left as a free agent after 2007, keeping Rowand and Frank would've only benefitted the Sox in 2006. I think that a Thome/Anderson in 2006 and 2008 would've worked better in hindsight. If we had Frank instead of Thome last year, I don't think that we win the division.

Ya but that is why there is the issue of too many variables. No one says Frank stays here after that 2006 season. That is why there are too many problems with reflecting on it. Rowand very well could've left but he had an incredible 07' season too and it would depend on the replacements for both. So its tough to compare. For 2006 - this team would've been better served with Thomas/Rowand in retrospect. It doesn't work that way though.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
I'd say that's exactly what they're doing. And, for all we know, Kenny's generosity may result in Thome signing a one-year deal with us this winter.

And I don't think it may take years to come out, as he stated. I think it's pretty obvious immediately that the Sox gave Thome a chance to go to a competitor.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
You guys can disagree all you want, but I know I'd choose Everett or Thomas and Rowand over Thome and what ever trash we ran out there for the past 4 years.

And you'd be a horrendous general manager. You can disagree with that all you want, but I know it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
And you'd be a horrendous general manager. You can disagree with that all you want, but I know it.

The Sox wouldn't have even been in the race had Thome not been in the fold. That team damn near scored 900 runs, and that was with a piss poor second half.

Seeing how it all shook out ,i wouldve liked to have had Everett on the team in 2006.

Just another yr of great quotes/stories perhaps. Joe Cowley has some story about Everett just coming up to him out of the blue and telling him 'ya gotta marry a big woman' and going on about it to like long explanation.

It's something to that effect i could be slightly off

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
Seeing how it all shook out ,i wouldve liked to have had Everett on the team in 2006.

Just another yr of great quotes/stories perhaps. Joe Cowley has some story about Everett just coming up to him out of the blue and telling him 'ya gotta marry a big woman' and going on about it to like long explanation.

I have an off-topic question. you've been posting here for awhile, and I have no idea if you are male and female. I see Princess Dye, and I assume female... or are you just a male trying to be funny?

Serious question!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
I have an off-topic question. you've been posting here for awhile, and I have no idea if you are male and female. I see Princess Dye, and I assume female... or are you just a male trying to be funny?

Serious question!

If it's a serious question, that use of 'and' is seriously troublesome

I'm a man but I will say that my wife has at times gotten on here and posted. So i guess yes you're right i'm male and female.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
If it's a serious question, that use of 'and' is seriously troublesome

I'm a man but I will say that my wife has at times gotten on here and posted. So i guess yes you're right i'm male and female.

I KNEW it.

Thanks for clarifying that, sir.

More from the Col press on the Hynick trade. They think it could backfire bigtime. "In Hynick, the Rockies had a brainy, 6-foot-3 prospect who has displayed a keen understanding of pitching at each level of his development. His strikeout numbers were never particularly impressive, but everything else about his game was. The 24-year-old former eighth-round pick walked just 119 batters in 580 minor-league innings and posted a 3.83 ERA in the hitting haven that is the Pacific Coast League.

He’ll be best remembered for throwing the first perfect game in Sky Sox history, a seven-inning masterpiece against Portland in late June.

Altitude kills some pitchers, Hynick seemed impervious (opponents were hitting .257 against him at home, .257 on the road). Even his perfect game came here in the Springs, a thousand feet above Denver.

This ability to pitch in the thin air — where breaking balls lose their bite and location is at a premium — should not be taken lightly. Jhoulys Chacin and Esmil Rogers, a pair of prospects rated higher than Hynick, have not shown a knack for retiring hitters at altitude. In 36 combined innings in Denver and Colorado Springs they are 0-6 with 34 walks and a 10.50 ERA." http://skysox.freedomblogging.com/2009/08/...-surprise/1645/

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
More from the Col press on the Hynick trade. They think it could backfire bigtime. "In Hynick, the Rockies had a brainy, 6-foot-3 prospect who has displayed a keen understanding of pitching at each level of his development. His strikeout numbers were never particularly impressive, but everything else about his game was. The 24-year-old former eighth-round pick walked just 119 batters in 580 minor-league innings and posted a 3.83 ERA in the hitting haven that is the Pacific Coast League.

He’ll be best remembered for throwing the first perfect game in Sky Sox history, a seven-inning masterpiece against Portland in late June.

Altitude kills some pitchers, Hynick seemed impervious (opponents were hitting .257 against him at home, .257 on the road). Even his perfect game came here in the Springs, a thousand feet above Denver.

This ability to pitch in the thin air — where breaking balls lose their bite and location is at a premium — should not be taken lightly. Jhoulys Chacin and Esmil Rogers, a pair of prospects rated higher than Hynick, have not shown a knack for retiring hitters at altitude. In 36 combined innings in Denver and Colorado Springs they are 0-6 with 34 walks and a 10.50 ERA." http://skysox.freedomblogging.com/2009/08/...-surprise/1645/

Even in a seemingly failed season, KW has been impressive.

Fangraphs on the trade.

"Put Away the Torchesby R.J. Anderson - September 1, 2009 - Share this Article

Add the White Sox to the list of teams people will call quitters since they effectively “threw in the towel” by dealing Jim Thome and Jose Contreras last night. The White Sox are six games back of first place Detroit and two and a half back of second place Minnesota. To date they’ve played a little under .500 ball and with 30 games remaining, CoolStandings has their playoff odds at 6%. That is to say, for every 1 million simulations, the White Sox make the playoffs 60,000 times while they miss out the other 940,000 tries

You don’t have to run simulations to understand the chances weren’t good anyways. The Tigers have 32 games remaining, and if they simply played .500 ball Chicago would have to go 22-8 to tie Detroit for first. That’s without taking Minnesota into account. If Detroit plays like they have all season, at a .531 clip, then Chicago has to go 23-7 to tie, 24-6 to win and this is again without taking Minnesota into account.

The bigger offense here might be missing out on a chance to land draft picks or potentially costing them a pick. Per Eddie Bajek’s latest Elias rankings, Jim Thome is a Type-A while Jose Contreras appears to be on the outside looking in on Type-B status. Maybe the Dodgers have agreed against offering Thome arbitration, but otherwise if the White Sox plan to bring the slugger back into the fold next season, it would cost them – or whoever signs him, for that matter – a draft pick.

The draft pick angle should be focused on more while the playoff potential angle is focused on less. Either way, I don’t think Kenny Williams should take much heat for doing what amounts to a favor for Thome. "

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/p...ay-the-torches/

Maybe the Dodgers have agreed against offering Thome arbitration, but otherwise if the White Sox plan to bring the slugger back into the fold next season, it would cost them – or whoever signs him, for that matter – a draft pick.

Yeah LA is going to risk $10mil on Thome being a pinch hitter.

Not really thinking that article through at all.