Thome, $ to LAD for Fuller-Jose to COL for $, Hynick

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE (quickman @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
Folks this maybe more of a tribute to Jim thome than anything else. Maybe the sox want to give him a last shot at winning the world series. He might have this time and maybe next year and thats it. Maybe the sox are giving one the best gentleman in baseball a shot at being on a world series team. If so I think its great. Word of this might not come out for years to come.

I'd say that's exactly what they're doing. And, for all we know, Kenny's generosity may result in Thome signing a one-year deal with us this winter.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that team scored most of its runs on home runs. The fact of the matter was that they could pitch too, and they threw the s*** out of the ball. 4 starters with an ERA below 4, 3 dominant relievers and that bullpen never went through a bad stretch, and only used 6 starters all season. The pitching and defense won that World Series, and it had little to do with their ability to manufacture runs. The team was more fundamentally sound, and could manufacture a run, but that is an offense I never want the Sox to be apart of again, as it was the 2nd worst offense of the decade. What I would like to see, and what Williams is trying to duplicate, is putting together a starting pitching staff similar to that in ability. He's done exactly that with Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks, in whatever order you want. The fact that Dan Hudson is in AAA only helps that rotation.

Great post. We aren't going to win squat again until our pitching and defense is consistent to great. Not in the AL where we stand to never get the wild card again unless we improve drastically. Our only hope year in and out will be to win the weak Central.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
No, that team scored most of its runs on home runs. The fact of the matter was that they could pitch too, and they threw the s*** out of the ball. 4 starters with an ERA below 4, 3 dominant relievers and that bullpen never went through a bad stretch, and only used 6 starters all season. The pitching and defense won that World Series, and it had little to do with their ability to manufacture runs. The team was more fundamentally sound, and could manufacture a run, but that is an offense I never want the Sox to be apart of again, as it was the 2nd worst offense of the decade. What I would like to see, and what Williams is trying to duplicate, is putting together a starting pitching staff similar to that in ability. He's done exactly that with Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks, in whatever order you want. The fact that Dan Hudson is in AAA only helps that rotation.

If anything, the problem with a team that is full of lumber jacks is consistency.

You can see it now, when Konerko, Dye, and Thome aren't hitting, we totally suck. Those guys are basically our offense and when they don't produce, we don't score. I don't care how well we pitch. If we don't score and Buehrle gives up 2 runs, we're gonna lose.

Although power will always be a part of the White Sox and this team needs power to win at home, an offense that focuses more on run-production can't hurt. Mostly because contact hitters are less likely to slump than power hitters and can remain more consistent.

The problem with this team is that it just dies in certain stretches simply because most of the power hitters slump. It's almost contagious.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
Great post. We aren't going to win squat again until our pitching and defense is consistent to great.

Our starting pitching is about as good going into next season (with a healthy Peavy) as one could reasonably expect. The bullpen, on the other hand, needs a ton of help. Kenny is going to have to spend here before he spends on offense. Also completely agree about our defense.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
If anything, the problem with a team that is full of lumber jacks is consistency.

You can see it now, when Konerko, Dye, and Thome aren't hitting, we totally suck. Those guys are basically our offense and when they don't produce, we don't score. I don't care how well we pitch. If we don't score and Buehrle gives up 2 runs, we're gonna lose.

Although power will always be a part of the White Sox and this team needs power to win at home, an offense that focuses more on run-production can't hurt. Mostly because contact hitters are less likely to slump than power hitters and can remain more consistent.

The problem with this team is that it just dies in certain stretches simply because most of the power hitters slump. It's almost contagious.

Yep. Didn't Dye and Thome both slump down the stretch in 2006?

I'm all for power, but it needs to be balanced with good fundamental run-manufacturing. This team needs to learn how to bunt and hit the ball the other way again.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
Yep. Didn't Dye and Thome both slump down the stretch in 2006?

I'm all for power, but it needs to be balanced with good fundamental run-manufacturing. This team needs to learn how to bunt and hit the ball the other way again.

I think it was Thome and Konerko. That really doesn't matter though. That team had really bad pitching in the second half. The offense could have been as good as it was in the first half and they still could have lost the division.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
It certainly wasn't Dye, who easily could have won AL MVP that year what with his .315 average, 44 homers, 120 rbi, .385 OBP, and 1.006 OPS.

But before August 1st of that year his avg was .389, 43 HRs, 118 RBIs, .485 OBP, and 1.470 OPS.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
Just remember Carl Everett >>>>> Jim Thome especially when it comes to hitting prowess (at least Everett could take the ball the other way) and defense from the DH position. We'd have won at least 2 more Championships if it weren't for Thome.

Aye.

Ouch.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
Found this on another site:

"To me, Thome symbolizes KW giving right back in to the urge to have the same offense he had from 01-04.

On the WS video, he brags about dumping Maggs, Carlos, and Jose to become more versatile. The next season we become station to station again.

This team needed to dump Thome. It needs speed and non-pull hitters.

Get back to pitching and defense. "

Sox offense from 2001-2004 when corpseball entered the White Sox vernacular.....

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
Just remember Carl Everett >>>>> Jim Thome especially when it comes to hitting prowess (at least Everett could take the ball the other way) and defense from the DH position. We'd have won at least 2 more Championships if it weren't for Thome.

THE LEGEND OF AARON ROWAND BRO! RUNNIN' INTO WALLS AND BEING GRINDY!

Yeah, people who say that Jim Thome is the only reason the White Sox haven't been able to get back to the WS since 05 need to go read up on some shtuff...

Edited by chw42

Hynick is pleased with the trade, waiting to see if he goes into the Charlotte rotation. “Definitely it was a little mix of surprise and excitement,” Hynick told InsidetheRockies.com. “Nobody really expects to be traded. It’s an exciting opportunity. I’m happy about it. A trade means somebody wants you.”

http://www.insidetherockies.com/2009/08/31...icted-by-trade/

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
You guys can disagree all you want, but I know I'd choose Everett or Thomas and Rowand over Thome and what ever trash we ran out there for the past 4 years.

See, that's the thing. You can't lump everyone together. Thome has been a great offensive player during his White Sox tenure, regardless of who played around him. You're baseball retarded if you'd rather have Everett, Rowand or Thomas of the last few years (because Thomas is quick??) than Thome in the DH spot.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
See, that's the thing. You can't lump everyone together. Thome has been a great offensive player during his White Sox tenure, regardless of who played around him. You're baseball retarded if you'd rather have Everett, Rowand or Thomas of the last few years (because Thomas is quick??) than Thome in the DH spot.

How much of an upgrade was Thome over Thomas, and was that upgrade enough to offset the down grade of Rowand to BA and the lot? Don't get me wrong, Rowand was overrated, but I feel like severely downgraded our team with that trade.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
You guys can disagree all you want, but I know I'd choose Everett or Thomas and Rowand over Thome and what ever trash we ran out there for the past 4 years.

Thome had more extra base hits than Everett and Rowand combined in 2006 and Everett was out of baseball by 2007 (granted they both missed time that season, Rowand injury, not sure with Everett but it might have just been benching for sucking). Thome also walked more than Everett and Rowand combined, scored more runs, and drove in more runs. Everett at that point in his career was a below league average hitter and Rowand is basically a league average hitter for his career. So basically you are saying you would rather have Rowand over Thome because Thome outproduced both of them combined in 2006 and Everett was out of baseball after 2006.

And Thome was a massive upgrade over Thomas as well.

Thome OPS+

2006 155

2007 150

2008 123

Thomas

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
Thome had more extra base hits than Everett and Rowand combined in 2006 and Everett was out of baseball by 2007 (granted they both missed time that season, Rowand injury, not sure with Everett but it might have just been benching for sucking). Thome also walked more than Everett and Rowand combined, scored more runs, and drove in more runs. Everett at that point in his career was a below league average hitter and Rowand is basically a league average hitter for his career. So basically you are saying you would rather have Rowand over Thome because Thome outproduced both of them combined in 2006 and Everett was out of baseball after 2006.

So you just skipped the "Everett OR THOMAS" part?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)

That whole scenario is your hindsight is 20/20.

Had we known in 2005 that Thomas would stay healthy in 06' and put up similar numbers to Thome - then obviously keeping Rowand and Frank would look to have served us better on paper.

Had you also told us it would take another 3+ years to find a centerfielder, then yes, we probably wouldn't have made those deals.

Some see Kenny Williams using the 05' World Series to remove a "bad seed" in Thomas and being able to get away with it. Others feel he truly did what he felt was best for the organization so I can't fault him for the deal.

Thome played well for us over the years. Obviously not having another ring and only one trip to the playoffs during his tenure here isn't what was the plan from the day the deal was made. To say it was a stupid move at the time is wrong and to put any blame on Thome is wrong.

However, in hindsight. Things may have been better served with keeping Rowand and Frank. Assuming Frank would've produced as he did in 06' and then us being able to have replaced him after that. Unfortunately, that is not how things work.