Why did we trade Jim Thome?

DaTank

1. We got 26 year old High-A SS Justin Fuller for him. AND we sent money to LA.

2. He's a complete class act. He didn't deserve to go just because Kenny was pissed.

3. We should've traded Dye instead. IMO, we should have kept Thome for next season as a middle-of-the-order LH bat.

4. We could have kept him one more year and had him retire as a member of the White Sox. That would have been nice seeing as he's one of the best LH power-hitters of all time.

5. I'll miss you Big Jim.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Thome is getting a favor from the Sox to compete in the playoffs

2. Thome is a FA after the season and is coming off a huge, outdated contract that does not reflect his performance. The choice would have been to offer a small amount, waaaaay below the arb figure, and hope he decides against testing the market to re-up with us, or else let the negotiation window close, deny arb, and lose him for good. By trading him we get around this. Actually it is about 1000X easier to bring Thome back for 2010 now.

3. Kenny wants to make a statement to other players that he'll follow through with his word.

Those are just off the top of my head, but there may be more reasons.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
1. We got 26 year old High-A SS Justin Fuller for him. AND we sent money to LA.

2. He's a complete class act. He didn't deserve to go just because Kenny was pissed.

3. We should've traded Dye instead. IMO, we should have kept Thome for next season as a middle-of-the-order LH bat.

4. We could have kept him one more year and had him retire as a member of the White Sox. That would have been nice seeing as he's one of the best LH power-hitters of all time.

5. I'll miss you Big Jim.

it was a favor to Thome. Its clear we weren't going to pick up his option and likely weren't going to resign him next year. I know Kenny told Jim about the dodgers the day before the trade and Thome talked to Coletti the night before about it. I'm fairly certain it was Thome's option. It was a nice thing for Kenny to do, and it alleviates the current OF logjam and allows us to take a look at youngsters like flowers in september. I also think Fields deserves another look at 3b, and hope the Organization looks at beckham at middle IF during september.

Edited by daa84

Well #2 is where you miss the whole point. Jim Thome gained 12 games in the standings last night. He went from a team that's 6 games out of the playoffs to a team that's 6 up. He has a much better chance of getting his ring with the Dodgers than he did the Sox. The trade was made as a favor to Thome, the class act that he is.

This also changes nothing in terms of 2010, Thome will be a free agent at year's end free to sign with the Sox if the 2 sides see fit.

We traded him because (1) we're not going to contend and (2) the Dodgers are. What better way to help Thome finally get a ring than to trade him to a team that has a good shot?

Dye's contract apparently stipulates that his $12 million option for next year becomes automatic if he's dealt.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
Well #2 is where you miss the whole point. Jim Thome gained 12 games in the standings last night. He went from a team that's 6 games out of the playoffs to a team that's 6 up. He has a much better chance of getting his ring with the Dodgers than he did the Sox. The trade was made as a favor to Thome, the class act that he is.

This also changes nothing in terms of 2010, Thome will be a free agent at year's end free to sign with the Sox if the 2 sides see fit.

Thome supposedly had talked with the Dodgers directly as early as yesterday morning, so I think it's very possible if not likely that Kenny talked to Thome about the arb situation before the trade and explained matters from the Sox perspective. Thome doesn't have a lot of options and the Sox organization still seems to love him. He's still productive and a great veteran presence and clubhouse influence, which will be even more important now that Dye and maybe even Konerko are out the door. I think there's a very good chance he's back with us next year, especially since Thome still wants to play in Chicago or Cleveland, and Cleveland isn't going to be doing anything for a while.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
Thome supposedly had talked with the Dodgers directly as early as yesterday morning, so I think it's very possible if not likely that Kenny talked to Thome about the arb situation before the trade and explained matters from the Sox perspective. Thome doesn't have a lot of options and the Sox organization still seems to love him. He's still productive and a great veteran presence and clubhouse influence, which will be even more important now that Dye and maybe even Konerko are out the door. I think there's a very good chance he's back with us next year, especially since Thome still wants to play in Chicago or Cleveland, and Cleveland isn't going to be doing anything for a while.

All the speculation about Thome being back next year is just that total speculation. Thome talked with the Dodgers after knowing they wanted to trade for him and he told them he coulf not physuically play 1B anymore. I do wonder if he could as an emergency or some similar reason? I do buy the idea the Sox are hoping to give Jim Thome a chance to play in a World Series again and traded him to LA when we failed to get into position for a run at it ourselves. My speculation is that Jim T will not be abck here in a Sox uniform in 2010 regardless if he is a great guy or not, which he is for sure. The Sox will rebuild and we may obviously see more changes. Dye may be gone as well as Konerko and we will see some pitching changes.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
All the speculation about Thome being back next year is just that total speculation. Thome talked with the Dodgers after knowing they wanted to trade for him and he told them he coulf not physuically play 1B anymore. I do wonder if he could as an emergency or some similar reason? I do buy the idea the Sox are hoping to give Jim Thome a chance to play in a World Series again and traded him to LA when we failed to get into position for a run at it ourselves. My speculation is that Jim T will not be abck here in a Sox uniform in 2010 regardless if he is a great guy or not, which he is for sure. The Sox will rebuild and we may obviously see more changes. Dye may be gone as well as Konerko and we will see some pitching changes.

You could be correct and maybe Thome never is back with us, but we're going to have to find another big lefty bat then.

I don't see the pitching changing much. The rotation is set with Peavy-Buehrle-Floyd-Danks-Freddy and Hudson as the 6th starter/emergency guy. I imagine he'll come out of the pen, but maybe he starts the year in Charlotte as insurance. I do think the bullpen gets one new guy, probably another righty setup man to replace Dotel (not even Kenny can trust Pena in that role), and then instead of getting a reliable secondary lefty, Kenny will instead sign a bunch of AAAA blowhards to compete for the spot in the ST like he did going into the 2006 season.

Maybe this is the year we get Figgins - although if he wants 4+ years I hope we stay out of the bidding.

Quite simply, we sucked with him, so why not suck without him and give him a chance at a ring? Heck, one of the selling points to Jim when he was with the Phillies was that KW promised him he would be given every chance to compete for a ring. This year, the Sox have no chance and KW sees such with Jim's window closing. So we traded him to a legit contender.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
We will miss his bat when the playoffs roll around....no question about it. I just hope we still have enough offense to bring another World Series championship to the south side this season.

lolz

Anyways, think of it as us getting Hynick for Thome and nothing for Contreras.. we shouldn't have gotten anything for either but hey, maybe he can be something.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
KW knows that we will be facing the Dodgers in the World Series, and this way Thome will get a ring no matter which way the series goes.

So why not just keep him then instead of giving him away?!?!?!

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
So why not just keep him then instead of giving him away?!?!?!

Because he would not get a ring if the Dodgers win, silly.

(Apparently we will give him a ring if we win even though he will no longer be on our team when we win).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
Because he would not get a ring if the Dodgers win, silly.

(Apparently we will give him a ring if we win even though he will no longer be on our team when we win).

Ahh thank you for making it clear for me.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)

avy what?