2016 Olympics

I would imagine the USOC isn't thrilled that the top national story this afternoon is the tragic beating death of the 16 year old on the south side. Probably won't be a major factor is Chicago gets it or not, but doesn't put Chicago in the best light.

Please note in no way am I minimizing that brutal attack, in fact if the IOC came out and said that was a reason not to award Chicago hopefully it would force some changes, not that I think a scenario like that would play out.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
I got this info from a pretty solid source, but by word of mouth. There is an initial round of voting, and the results would be announced at 11am Chicago time on Friday from that. Then the horse-trading and second round occur, supposedly resulting in a final vote by 3pm. But, the rule is a vote plurality - it takes as many rounds as needed to get 50% for someone. So I suppose its possible that someone could get over 50% ont he first vote, but apparently that is very rare.

Per Wikipedia-

Yes, i am referencing Drudge:

2016 Orders Anti-Bid News Report Cancelled

A local TV station that reported on Chicagoans NOT wanting the Olympics has been told NOT to run the report again, insiders tell the DRUDGE REPORT!

The Chicago Olympic Committee told FOX Chicago that its broadcast "would harm Chicago's chances" to be awarded the games.

The station's news director ordered staff to hold fire after the report aired once last Thursday morning, claims a source.

Chicago, Madrid, Tokyo and Rio are mounting strong bids for the honor to host in 2016.

The International Olympic Committee makes its decision on Friday. President Obama will lead the in-person push.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
I got this info from a pretty solid source, but by word of mouth. There is an initial round of voting, and the results would be announced at 11am Chicago time on Friday from that. Then the horse-trading and second round occur, supposedly resulting in a final vote by 3pm. But, the rule is a vote plurality - it takes as many rounds as needed to get 50% for someone. So I suppose its possible that someone could get over 50% ont he first vote, but apparently that is very rare.

It looks like they drop the low vote city after each round and then re-vote, until someone breaks that 50%. I would imagine that this means will will have three rounds, or until we get down to two cities.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
I dont think Obama went there so he could come back empty handed.

That's the question in my mind. Did he go because he thinks he can change voter's minds, or did he go because he knows their minds are made up?

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
That's the question in my mind. Did he go because he thinks he can change voter's minds, or did he go because he knows their minds are made up?

I think they've made up their minds and picked Chicago, no way they'd let Obama go there only to have them say, "LOL, sucker...we're picking Rio!".

Obama is a star right now, for better or worse (depending on who you are), not only to Americans, but to the entire world...and they're capitalizing on that. I thought from the start the only way Chicago had a chance was for Obama to win the presidency, which he did. I just couldn't see them picking a city with massive traffic congestion issues that never get fixed and a soaring major crime/murder rate without some push from a very powerful figure...like a US President from Chicago.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)

In between. He had operatives ask around with IOC members, to make sure they had a very good chance, and then disseminated information that he'd go. You cannot know 100% for sure ahead of time - this is the IOC we are talking about here - but I am sure he got a very good indication that the chances were very good that they'd get it if he went.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
Its possible. If anyone could figure out the corrupt IOC, its the corrupt Rich Daley.

Seriously, it's like you guys don't realize Rio is in the discussion. I assure you our corrupt system would be a shining beacon of gov't transparency there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
Do you really think they have the heavy hitters that the Daley's have?

I think Chicago will win, but my point is, the naysayers saying "Well i'm sure them seeing this brutal beating" "yeah, I hope it goes to rio instead of our corrupt city" ... is rio is way, way worse.

But I do think Rio has some heavy hitters coming to bat, it's more than brazil, it's South America that wants this.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 11:49 AM)
I think Chicago will win, but my point is, the naysayers saying "Well i'm sure them seeing this brutal beating" "yeah, I hope it goes to rio instead of our corrupt city" ... is rio is way, way worse.

But I do think Rio has some heavy hitters coming to bat, it's more than brazil, it's South America that wants this.

I'm not even sure Chicago will win. To be honest, I don't know what to think.

WOW! White House smacks down Fox News over its mostly anti-Olympic coverage.

Last night Fox News continued its disregard for the facts in an attempt to smear the Administration's efforts to win the Olympics for the United States. In the past, hosting the Olympics has been a source of pride and unity for the country, but once again Fox News' Glenn Beck program has shown that nothing is worthy of respect if it can be used as part of a partisan attack to boost ratings......

Fact checks are at the link.

This material is borderline for this forum. Just a general warning/request, please don't get too carried away with politics. We're fine for now, since the topic involves politics to begin with, but any more detailed/heated arguments and I'll have to split posts and/or lock the thread.

edit: NSS already covered it.

Edited by lostfan