2016 Olympics

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Bulls***, the President answers to know one. If Chicago really was pushing the issue they could have talked to Rahm about it. Obama wanted this, he fought for it, in the end, he failed for it.

The President answers to the people who get him elected. Especially if he wants to get elected again.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But....I thought Obama would swoon them over with his charm?!

I guess Chicago 2016 was change no one believed in.

I have to say, I would have enjoyed the event here; but it is hilarious viewing everyone's reaction. Channel 2 had a clip of their news anchor, and the look of shock on his face was HILARIOUS. It'll no doubt be making its way around late night news outlets.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
In case what happened happens. It was a pretty unprecedented step for the US. But I think, a good one nonetheless. Say what you want about where I stand on the issue, but I love the idea of a high ranking government official try to win support for an initiative that would bring a lot of new jobs to the US in a time where employment is such a big issue. And I think I'd like that no matter who was in office.

I agree. I liked what that person said in my post above, how rarely do our leaders come out in support when it's a pretty common thing. We expect our government to get our citizens out when they're in trouble, i'd like them just as much to help out to get someone to succeed.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
Chuck Todd just said as stated earlier, Chicago political ties in Chicago that are connected with White House (Daley, R Emanuel, I'm looking at you) basically cornered Obama into going and Obama didn't really want to. He stated he thought it would be overkill and Chicago was being too over the top with the situation and they were twisting his arm. Todd ended up saying, If Chicago needs another favor from the White House or the president, they probably should hold off on asking because the president wasn't too happy on going in the first place.

haha...the most powerful man in the world was cornered.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
Some broad on MSNBC was claiming that Chicago proposal had significant financial gaps in it, including no explanation on how we'd be able to afford to build the Olympic village.

The financial numbers Chicago was waving around where way off from an independent analysis and you can bet people who are around the Olympics would know if they were just blowing smoke up out butts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
I would have been madder if he didn't go and we won. The President should be the nations biggest cheerleader, especially when an event is going to happen in his backyard. The results should be damned. I am very happy Obama went.

I think that's the first time you've ever used the words "I am happy" and Obama in the same sentence. :lolhitting Nice!

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
I think he felt it would be over the top. Plus., there ARE more important issues to deal with.

This is 2009, not 1809. The President doesn't need to be present to know exactly what is going on anymore. It was lame when McCain did it during the election, and it was lame when Obama started to use that as an excuse for not cheerleading the Olympics.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
But....I thought Obama would swoon them over with his charm?!

I guess Chicago 2016 was change no one believed in.

Having Daley around will not help anyone's case. Pains me to say that about a whitesox fan. But then again I hate Mike North so to each his own.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
I think that's the first time you've ever used the words "I am happy" and Obama in the same sentence. :lolhitting Nice!

If I am nothing else, I am honest. I can criticize who I like when they are wrong, and give credit to those I don't like when they are right. Barack Obama did the right thing by going to Switzerland.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
Having Daley around will not help anyone's case. Pains me to say that about a whitesox fan.

Bollocks. I think the continuity was something the IOC would welcome. Look at China, their authoritarian style was raved about in terms of putting on a good event

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
I think he felt it would be over the top. Plus., there ARE more important issues to deal with.

This is a non-sequitur. The President can be out of Washington for 1-2 days and the world won't fall apart. He also has dozens of delegates that are still going to be doing things for him whether he's there or not. And even if he's not physically there he still has the ability to communicate etc. Actually the more I think about reasons why this is irrelevant the more this particular criticism looks asinine.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
This is a non-sequitur. The President can be out of Washington for 1-2 days and the world won't fall apart. He also has dozens of delegates that are still going to be doing things for him whether he's there or not. And even if he's not physically there he still has the ability to communicate etc. Actually the more I think about reasons why this is irrelevant the more this particular criticism looks asinine.

I am totally with you. I'm the one who called McCain campaign suspension complete BS. It's a focus distraction. Why go? Seriously? Michelle did just fine.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)

As long as there wasn't a major hurricane bearing down on the coast or something like that, or we weren't on the final 48 hours before a major vote, then there's very little that can't be done from the mobile oval office.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
I am totally with you. I'm the one who called McCain campaign suspension complete BS. It's a focus distraction. Why go? Seriously? Michelle did just fine.

You're actually DISagreeing with me. lol.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)

Quite simply, he went because thanks to IIRC Tony Blair, that's become the new standard. If your head of state doesn't go, then that's a slap in the face to the IOC and that might cost you some votes.

This will be the symbolic, beginning of the end for Daley. I can forsee something like he'll win his next re-election, just because the competition is nonexistent, then four years after (if he's still alive), there will be some running mate that takes him down.

Of course, it won't be the games alone that doom him; it'll just be that one moment people look at and think, "support for him really began to decline."

I really don't think many people were braced for the possibility they'd lose. It's almost like thinking, well, Obama AND Oprah are going; how can we possibly lose?!

Well this was certainly a surprise.

I'd say it's Rio's to lose now. I'd be surprised if they gave it to Madrid consider 2012 is in London, and Barcelona had the 1992 Olympics.

Wouldn't say there's a major European consensus of the past Summer Olympics though. Sydney had it in 2000, Beijing 2008, Atlanta 1996, so it has been around the bush a bit.