Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

StrangeSox

Seriously, Reddy, I know it's popular right now to be saying the Administration should be twisting more arms on health care, but I guarantee you health care has gotten as far as it has because 1) Dem majority 2) they've left it to the legislators. Congress has to do this a lot on its own. Now he's sending his team to twist the arms, and now is the time to, if he did it in conference, it would have been a mess.

Congress is our legislative body. He set the Agenda, they have to sort out the bill. He is doing this the right way.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
Seriously, Reddy, I know it's popular right now to be saying the Administration should be twisting more arms on health care, but I guarantee you health care has gotten as far as it has because 1) Dem majority 2) they've left it to the legislators. Congress has to do this a lot on its own. Now he's sending his team to twist the arms, and now is the time to, if he did it in conference, it would have been a mess.

Congress is our legislative body. He set the Agenda, they have to sort out the bill. He is doing this the right way.

Well health care once again is going to take a back seat :lolhitting

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L9312586.htm

Obama to come to Oslo to receive Nobel-Norway PM

09 Oct 2009 14:45:29 GMT

Source: Reuters

OSLO, Oct. 9 (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama will come to Oslo to collect the Nobel Peace Prize, Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said on Friday after speaking with Obama.

The prize is handed out on Dec. 10, the anniversary of the 1896 death of the award's founder Alfred Nobel.

"Obama said he looked forward to coming to Oslo to receive the prize," a statement from Stoltenberg's office said after the prime minister phoned Obama to congratulate him.

RNC's Response-

QUOTE "The real question Americans are asking is, 'What has President Obama actually accomplished?' It is unfortunate that the president's star power has outshined tireless advocates who have made real achievements working towards peace and human rights. One thing is certain - President Obama won't be receiving any awards from Americans for job creation, fiscal responsibility, or backing up rhetoric with concrete action."

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)

Each side has their marching orders! Attack and defend! :lolhitting Take to the airwaves, twitter, call into Rush, there is a crisis happening here.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 07:53 AM)
Hopefully we can all just agree that it was completely unexpected and premature.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
Not going to happen. Hordes of REPs are figuring out how to mitigate the "damage" and use it to make him look bad. Meanwhile hordes of DEM strategists are figuring out how to maximize the award to their advantage.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)
I don't think he meant ALL agree, I think he meant the people in here who can think for themselves.

This was so easy to predict, and all too sad. Truly, I believe at any given moment, one party wants everything to go wrong so they can grab back the power. It was the Dems before, now the GOP.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
I didn't realize the President was responsible for creating the bill and approving it.

Hey he was the one who couldn't leave because of health care. I guess winning the Nobel and chasing the Olympics changes that?

Like I said before it was stupid when McCain tried it during the election, and it was stupid of Obama to say. Of course no one is really bringing that up over and over again like during the election in the media...

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
I didn't realize the President was responsible for creating the bill and approving it.

Seriously! Jesus, here's when I want Obama to let himself known, when the bill goes to the house and senate to merge a single bill. And then he can make his deals for votes. WHY WOULD HE DO THAT NOW?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
Hey he was the one who couldn't leave because of health care. I guess winning the Nobel and chasing the Olympics changes that?

Like I said before it was stupid when McCain tried it during the election, and it was stupid of Obama to say. Of course no one is really bringing that up over and over again like during the election in the media...

While I agree with your point, Obama was wrong to shield himself with that, This bill is really not at the point where it's in his hands (points for obviousness)...it isn't the time for him to make his play.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Oh, god. He just accepted it. The man didn't even have the sense to turn it down.

Yeah, because that would have done anything besides appease a few mouthbreathers. But they'd probably still find a way to criticize him for it.

On a side note, my girl Norah O'Donnell made a great point, people like Bill Clinton, Elie Wiesel, Nelson Mandela haven't won this award... and I believe they are more deserving.

Edit: Mandela won in 1993. My girl was wrong.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
On a side note, my girl Norah O'Donnell made a great point, people like Bill Clinton, Elie Wiesel, Nelson Mandela haven't won this award... and I believe they are more deserving.

Mandela hasn't won?

That's a f***ing travesty.

Case-in-point.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
I wasn't sure how to respond, but luckily the emoticon is described at "headbang" so that was all the guidance necessary.

Perhaps I was too slow in my response.

can't stop laughing, haha

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
Mandela hasn't won?

That's a f***ing travesty.

Case-in-point.

On the other hand, X-factor - Desmond Tutu did win it for the same cause. Taking the fact that another south african had already won on the same platform plus, South Africa was already awarded the 2010 World Cup, the only thing left for them was to bid on the olympics. Are you starting to understand how all this works?

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)

Yes, I believe accepting the award, and using that platform to explain his vision for world peace, is more important.

The Olympics, I wonder if he would have done it if it was Miami or Dallas. Could have stayed home.

I thought it was a gamble with McCain at a time when he needed to gamble.

Yes, stupid by Obama.