$60 million for Chapman

Cubano

Unlike Strasburg who was penalized in the Draft because he could negotiate with only the Nats, Chapman can negotiate with all MLB teams. The big market teams will escalate the bidding war. I think there should be one system for all players. Either we have a Draft or Free Agency for everybody.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
Contreras got $32 million from the Yanks. He was older than Chapman.

Yeah, Contreras was considered to be an instant ace coming into the league while Chapman is still a project. Not too mention the downfall the economy has taken lately and its affect on f/a, no way he gets 60 million.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
I've heard reports that some scouts consider Chapman to be a glorified relief pitcher who has a poor attitude and poor work ethic.

Oh, the scouts. Tell me their names and the teams they work for. Are these scouts the same scouts projected Alexei having Julio Lugo type power numbers?

Moises Alou, when he was the manager of the Giants, said El Duque is nobody to go crazy about. El Duque was running out of fingers for his WS rings. Too bad he waited that long to come.

If you compare a photo of Chapman before defecting and a recent photo, you have to realize he has been in the gym quite often. Unlike Viciedo who in Cuba was rumored to be lazy and also did not have a strong defense, Chapman works hard. He was working to improve his control like crazy back home.

Only time will tell.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
Oh, the scouts. Tell me their names and the teams they work for. Are these scouts the same scouts projected Alexei having Julio Lugo type power numbers?

Moises Alou, when he was the manager of the Giants, said El Duque is nobody to go crazy about. El Duque was running out of fingers for his WS rings. Too bad he waited that long to come.

If you compare a photo of Chapman before defecting and a recent photo, you have to realize he has been in the gym quite often. Unlike Viciedo who in Cuba was rumored to be lazy and also did not have a strong defense, Chapman works hard. He was working to improve his control like crazy back home.

Only time will tell.

Scouts are right and scouts are wrong. Tommy Lasorda traded Pedro Martinez away because he never thought he'd amount to anything because of his size. Lasorda also was the reason the Dodgers drafted Piazza (mainly by being kind). Pujols wasn't a top 5 round draft pick. Buehrle was drafted super late.

Bottom line scouts are going to have hits and misses but in general scouts opinions (the consensus) is going to determine the players worth. Once you get your contract, from there on out, its up to you to determine the type of player you will be and what you'll do, but that initial contract is highly dependent on the scouts opinion.

By the way, I have zero opinion on Chapman. I've read stuff in BA, etc, and all I know is it sounds like he has an electric arm and I'd love that type of arm in the system. What his true scouting report is, I don't know, but I do know I'd never ever give anyone 50M who hasn't already proven it at the big league level (hell, 20 mill would probably be my cap).

Sure that might mean I miss out on the ocassional Ichiro and Matsui, but I'm okay with that.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 12:51 AM)
I've heard reports that some scouts consider Chapman to be a glorified relief pitcher who has a poor attitude and poor work ethic.

Unless, the kid is an absolute mess, anyone who can throw 100 out of his left-hand with a hint of control is worth a contract.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
Andy Sisco says "Not for 60 million!"

I'll amend my statement and say that money is an issue here. In no way do i condone overpaying for a RP, but if the kid can start he's worth every penny. And i don't think there's enough scouting on him yet to rule out that possibility.

I've seen video of him and he looks like a reliever at this point to me too. That's not to say he can't become a true ace, but it would be very hard to commit the same kind of money that you normally give to veteran All-Stars to a guy that you'll want to send down to the minors for a couple years.

If this kind of deal were realistic, I'd offer something like:

$5M signing bonus

Year 1: $1M pro-rated while in the minors/$2M pro-rated if in the Majors

Year 2: $1M pro-rated while in the minors/$2M pro-rated if in the Majors

Year 3: $3M team option, $1M buyout

Year 4: $5M team option, $1.5M buyout

Year 5: $7M team option, $2M buyout

Year 6: $10M team option, $3M buyout

Year 7+: arbitration eligible if applicable service time is reached, otherwise the player becomes a free agent

That way the player is guaranteed at least $7M (mostly up front) and up to $33M, but the team never has to worry about a bad contract that it won't be able to overcome. If anything like that were possible I'd be willing to offer it, but that won't happen. The Yankees or Red Sox will give him a s***load guaranteed because that's how they operate.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
I've seen video of him and he looks like a reliever at this point to me too. That's not to say he can't become a true ace, but it would be very hard to commit the same kind of money that you normally give to veteran All-Stars to a guy that you'll want to send down to the minors for a couple years.

If this kind of deal were realistic, I'd offer something like:

$5M signing bonus

Year 1: $1M pro-rated while in the minors/$2M pro-rated if in the Majors

Year 2: $1M pro-rated while in the minors/$2M pro-rated if in the Majors

Year 3: $3M team option, $1M buyout

Year 4: $5M team option, $1.5M buyout

Year 5: $7M team option, $2M buyout

Year 6: $10M team option, $3M buyout

Year 7+: arbitration eligible if applicable service time is reached, otherwise the player becomes a free agent

That way the player is guaranteed at least $7M (mostly up front) and up to $33M, but the team never has to worry about a bad contract that it won't be able to overcome. If anything like that were possible I'd be willing to offer it, but that won't happen. The Yankees or Red Sox will give him a s***load guaranteed because that's how they operate.

The Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Mets will compete for his services. The quality of starting pitchers is not that deep this year.

By the way, 19 year old Jose Iglesias has impressed in his first two games in Arizona among MLB players, best USA prospects and Japanese big leaguers and prospects from the far east. He just homered today. The value of Cuban players is increasing by the day. :headbang

Adeiny Hechevarria, another 19 year old SS defected too. Iglesias had to play 2B for the junior team because Hechevarria was the regular. I smell a future Yankee to replace Jeter whenever he slows down if he ever does.

I think the Sox will go after 1B/LF Jose Julio Ruiz or CF/1B Leslie Anderson.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
Oh, the scouts. Tell me their names and the teams they work for.

They don't name names, but Sports Illustrated is fairly reliable.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/base...orra/index.html

G    PA  AB R   H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO    BA OBP SLG OPS

139 556 498 64 135 16 4 15 55   12 4 44 100 .271 .333 .410 .743

148 606 542 71 150 14 1 15 68   14 5 49 66 .277 .333 .389 .723 

Guess who is who?

This just proves even more that the NBA is the only league who can run rookies right.

Seriously Chapman (and even Yusei Kikuchi) should have to enter the draft (the one thing that kept Strasburg's situation being worse than it was) and not be able to start a massive bidding war for unproven guys.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 02:36 AM)
This just proves even more that the NBA is the only league who can run rookies right.

Seriously Chapman (and even Yusei Kikuchi) should have to enter the draft (the one thing that kept Strasburg's situation being worse than it was) and not be able to start a massive bidding war for unproven guys.

NBA rookies have done what they want plenty of times. IIRC Baron Davis and Kobe Bryant basically forced draft day trades

Ricky Rubio is thumbing his nose at the draft too

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
They don't name names, but Sports Illustrated is fairly reliable.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/base...orra/index.html

139 556 498 64 135 16 4 15 55   12 4 44 100 .271 .333 .410 .743

148 606 542 71 150 14 1 15 68   14 5 49 66 .277 .333 .389 .723 

Guess who is who?

One Scouting Director doesn't mean too much.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 06:17 AM)
NBA rookies have done what they want plenty of times. IIRC Baron Davis and Kobe Bryant basically forced draft day trades

Ricky Rubio is thumbing his nose at the draft too

Am I mistaken, I don't remember Kobe forcing that draft day deal. I thought the lakers wanted Vlade cause the whole thing happened pretty quickly I thought. This is going on pure memory.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
Am I mistaken, I don't remember Kobe forcing that draft day deal. I thought the lakers wanted Vlade cause the whole thing happened pretty quickly I thought. This is going on pure memory.

From what I remember, Kobe wanted no part of Charlotte, West was in love with Kobe, things happened and Vlade was a Hornet after the draft