Oh Steve Phillips, how do you surprise us?

Kyyle23

Deadspin still produces solid commentary, but a lot of their site just pisses me off. They can't really control the environment they've created anymore, there's no need for the people in the comment section to take a cynical approach to EVERYTHING. "Hey, some dude died horribly? Time to make a bunch of puns!"

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
On a side note, Deadspin sucks. Daluerio has run that place into the ground, and him posting all of those rumors about other people cheating and/or sleeping to the top just because he's bitter he had the scoop on Phillips and wasn't able to find enough backup to post it is lame. Even if they turn out to be true (and with some of the stories a friend of mine who worked at ESPN has told me, they probably are and then some), just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks is an example of why blogs like that get made fun of because that is even a step below TMZ trash, only this is sports not Hollywood.

He's pissed because ESPN lied to him and told him there was nothing to the story.

It's not as good anymore but I did enjoy the FMJ guest host.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
It's always the ugly and/or chubby women that guys end up cheating with, it will never make sense but that seems to be how it goes the vast majority of the time. Phillips has a history of this though (and if the rumors are true, there will be more women who he had affairs with at ESPN that will eventually come forward, in addition to his escapades with the Mets) so we should not be surprised. I would be shocked if we see him at ESPN again.

On a side note, Deadspin sucks. Daluerio has run that place into the ground, and him posting all of those rumors about other people cheating and/or sleeping to the top just because he's bitter he had the scoop on Phillips and wasn't able to find enough backup to post it is lame. Even if they turn out to be true (and with some of the stories a friend of mine who worked at ESPN has told me, they probably are and then some), just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks is an example of why blogs like that get made fun of because that is even a step below TMZ trash, only this is sports not Hollywood.

You liked what brooks said, eh?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Honestly, who is "good" then? I don't get this. I was thinking about it the other night before this crap with Phillips even came up....why is Tim McCarver "awful"? Why is Steve Phillips? Other than the fact that it makes people feel good or somehow knowledgeable to claim a professional is "awful," what do they say or do that is so bad? And if they are so bad, who is good? I would love to hear...

Tim McCarver can't piece together a coherent sentence. That's his problem.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
Tim McCarver can't piece together a coherent sentence. That's his problem.

Oh give me a break. Tim McCarver is an awesome broadcaster. I learn more about how the game is played and why players do what they do on the field while watching games McCarver does than probably every other broadcaster on television other than maybe Steve Stone. The guy has a very solid knowledge of the game, makes very intelligent commentary, and has a very good voice on air. I think he and Buck work very well together.

I want to hear some honest criticisms, not this bs crap about him not being able to "piece together a coherent sentence."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)
Oh give me a break. Tim McCarver is an awesome broadcaster. I learn more about how the game is played and why players do what they do on the field while watching games McCarver does than probably every other broadcaster on television other than maybe Steve Stone. The guy has a very solid knowledge of the game, makes very intelligent commentary, and has a very good voice on air. I think he and Buck work very well together.

I want to hear some honest criticisms, not this bs crap about him not being able to "piece together a coherent sentence."

Seems to me that liking or disliking broadcasters is a pretty subjective thing and can't be influenced by argument. That said, I'd say that you're opinion of McCarver (though valid as anyone's) is a minority one. While his sentences are coherent, I personally don't think they add too much and mostly just state the obvious. Plus, especially compared to Steve Stone, his observations as to what will (and sometimes what just did) happen in a given situation are often just flat wrong. His "I don't think that taste is there" comment regarding Brad Lidge in WS G2 is one famous example and might seem like an unfair cherry-pick, but to me it seemed fairly typical. As I sit here, however, I can't specifically recall any others.

http://shutuptimmccarver.com/gems.htm

:)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
This s*** happens all over the place, at all successful companies that happen to employ egomaniacs...you just hear about the ESPN personalities because they are famous.

Truth. If anyone wants to see this x100 walk on over to the Merc or the Board and chck out how many of those people have their runners in the offices after hours, or before hours, or in the middle of the day. Corporate sleeping around is as old as time, it happens everywhere.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 09:26 AM)
Seems to me that liking or disliking broadcasters is a pretty subjective thing and can't be influenced by argument. That said, I'd say that you're opinion of McCarver (though valid as anyone's) is a minority one. While his sentences are coherent, I personally don't think they add too much and mostly just state the obvious. Plus, especially compared to Steve Stone, his observations as to what will (and sometimes what just did) happen in a given situation are often just flat wrong. His "I don't think that taste is there" comment regarding Brad Lidge in WS G2 is one famous example and might seem like an unfair cherry-pick, but to me it seemed fairly typical. As I sit here, however, I can't specifically recall any others.

"When a player slides in safely, the umpire has ruled him safe."

In my view, that's only a slight exaggeration of a Tim McCarver analysis.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)
"When a player slides in safely, the umpire has ruled him safe."

In my view, that's only a slight exaggeration of a Tim McCarver analysis.

Look at the site I posted a few posts above this one, there are plenty of extremely dumb quotes from him just like that. That is no exxaggeration at all

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
Look at the site I posted a few posts above this one, there are plenty of extremely dumb quotes from him just like that. That is no exxaggeration at all

I guess to bring this thread full circle we should also rip McCarver's taste in women. ;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Honestly, who is "good" then? I don't get this. I was thinking about it the other night before this crap with Phillips even came up....why is Tim McCarver "awful"? Why is Steve Phillips? Other than the fact that it makes people feel good or somehow knowledgeable to claim a professional is "awful," what do they say or do that is so bad? And if they are so bad, who is good? I would love to hear...

Phillips is actually pretty good as a commentator. He knows how the front offices run and has a lot of inside knowledge from his years of experience running a franchise. He might not have made a great GM, but I think he's an excellent analyst who understands how moves are made and has very good contacts in the game.

That is an honest criticism. He blabbers on and doesn't make sense an awful lot. As others have said, he's also wrong quite a bit. If you don't find that to be an honest criticism, it's nothing to cry about.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 09:06 AM)

Honestly, I did check the site. And I found humor in a lot of those, not from the perspective of the people sending them in, but from Tim's point of view. Maybe I just enjoy his sense of humor. Maybe I am flat-out stupid. I don't know.

I do know this though, put anyone on television to talk as much as he is required to for as many big games as he has been hired to, and you are going to find legions of dumb quotes to pick at. There is a reason that he is hired to cover these games in the postseason every year though, and it isn't because he sucks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
Honestly, I did check the site. And I found humor in a lot of those, not from the perspective of the people sending them in, but from Tim's point of view. Maybe I just enjoy his sense of humor. Maybe I am flat-out stupid. I don't know.

I do know this though, put anyone on television to talk as much as he is required to for as many big games as he has been hired to, and you are going to find legions of dumb quotes to pick at. There is a reason that he is hired to cover these games in the postseason every year though, and it isn't because he sucks.

really? Who else does FOX have to do the games? From 97-99, NBC's coverage of the playoffs was pretty good with Bob Costas, but he had Joe Morgan at his side. Wish I had MLB network so I could watch the games Bob does on thursdays.

QUOTE (onedude @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
really? Who else does FOX have to do the games? From 97-99, NBC's coverage of the playoffs was pretty good with Bob Costas, but he had Joe Morgan at his side. Wish I had MLB network so I could watch the games Bob does on thursdays.

Are you kidding me? They could hire anyone they wanted to do the games. It's not like they are your local high school or something, they can bring in whomever they want. Hell, they're bringing in Ozzie to do pre and post game stuff during the World Series.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
way to go Steve, you lost your cush job and your marriage for Meg Griffin...hope the 30 seconds were worth it

He was the Sean Salisbury of baseball, good riddance.