Bill James handbook 2010 predicts Tyler Flowers

MattZakrowski

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/f...s-handbook-2010

Tyler Flowers, C, 6.01, 275/353/476

Flowers got the proverbial cup of coffee with the White Sox at the end of season, netting 20 unspectacular plate appearances. Before that, though, he put up a great year across two levels. In particular, his .302/.445/.548 at Double-A Birmingham was impressive. He remains the heir apparent to A.J. Pierzynski, who enters the final year of his contract in 2010. If James’s projections are accurate, Flowers could be a contributor even before that.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
Today's activity supports my dream scenario

Flowers can either catch or DH daily... with CJ Retherford as an emergency catcher (and other utility guy as it seems he'll now be)

So AJP and TF can coexist regularly

So your dream scenario involves filling an emergency catcher position?

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:46 AM)
So your dream scenario involves filling an emergency catcher position?

? He wants to be able to play both AJ and TF on the same day. He's saying with CJ up we still would have a backup catcher in case AJ/TF whoever is at catcher, gets hurt.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
He projected Chris Davis to hit .300 with 40 homers this year. James goes way overboard on the young players.

The problem with Davis is that he just swings at everything. Flowers may strike out a lot, but he's also selective.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
Today's activity supports my dream scenario

Flowers can either catch or DH daily... with CJ Retherford as an emergency catcher (and other utility guy as it seems he'll now be)

So AJP and TF can coexist regularly

If you have a catcher also DHing you need to carry 3 catchers on the roster. Retheford will not do.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:15 AM)
The problem with Davis is that he just swings at everything. Flowers may strike out a lot, but he's also selective.

Yeah! He is selective at what he swings at and misses. My guess is AAA, but nothing higher than back up to AJ in 2010. Being a back up and also being a developing prospect doesn't make sense so I am guessing AAA

QUOTE (everafan @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
If you have a catcher also DHing you need to carry 3 catchers on the roster. Retheford will not do.

Why won't Retherford do? He has caught before and your third catcher would at most catch a few innings in an emergency situation. The possibility of even needing the emergency catcher is pretty low anyway, It's not like he would be catching a game every week.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 07:41 AM)
Why won't Retherford do? He has caught before and your third catcher would at most catch a few innings in an emergency situation. The possibility of even needing the emergency catcher is pretty low anyway, It's not like he would be catching a game every week.

Bingo.

You're right. Starting your backup catcher at DH is fine if you have someone who can catch in a pinch because as you said worst that would ever really happen is they'd have to catch a few innings. It's actually an ideal situation to have someone like that so you can use the other bat in the lineup if you so choose to.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
The chance of Flowers needing to be taken out of a game seems rather remote and I could see a team risking a pitcher having to bat and only carrying two catchers.

I would be fine with carrying only two catchers if need be. If you have a guy at another position who can catch if absolutely necessary it's a help, but not a necessity. The problem is that I think that having three catchers is a necessity in Ozzies mind, so having both A. J. and Flowers in the same lineup probably won't happen.