Curtis Granderson Anyone

RockRaines

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 07:09 AM)
A brush with Granderson story to share: When he was a AAA player in the Detroit system, he was an instructor for a kids' winter baseball camp in Libertyville; my son attended. Not only was he a terrific teacher, but a great role model. He wore his Tigers uniform, stayed late to talk with the kids and signed autographs for all who asked. We've continued to follow his career since then and have delighted in his success (except against the Sox). I don't see how the Sox could pull of a deal for him, but what an addition he'd be.
Granderson is a very nice guy i met him a few years ago at a Tigers Angels weekend series once outside the park very easy for my daughter to get a autogragh . The next day we ran into him at our hotel and again he was very easy to talk to and approach . I have met a lot off ball players and in recent years most are real jerks and some are very big AZZHOLES .

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
Granderson is a very nice guy i met him a few years ago at a Tigers Angels weekend series once outside the park very easy for my daughter to get a autogragh . The next day we ran into him at our hotel and again he was very easy to talk to and approach . I have met a lot off ball players and in recent years most are real jerks and some are very big AZZHOLES .

Whoa whoa....keep the language in check a little there, please.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
The Tigers aren't going to deal Jackson or Granderson within the division. I'm sure we could get Maggs, Inge, Robertson, Bonderman, Willis, Guillen, etc. but that's not exactly helping us.

Well until I hear them say something like that, I would assume they would take the best package regardless of who the team is. Its not totally out of the question to have trades made in the division.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
Well until I hear them say something like that, I would assume they would take the best package regardless of who the team is. Its not totally out of the question to have trades made in the division.

It definitely makes it harder that we are not just in the same division, but both teams expect to be in the race. It's not like the Tigers are going into rebuilding mode. Not saying impossible, just improbable (and I do think the Tigers would take the best package at this point).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)

With the Royals maybe, because nobody is worried about those guys right now. We've dealt with KC recently, so has Minnesota, Detroit, and Cleveland I believe. But one contender trading with another is a pretty odd situation.

Why would we give up 6 years of someone like Tyler Flowers for example to a team that would be playing us multiple times per year? Detroit would ask for more from us than they'd ask from a non-AL Central team IMO, and rightfully so. It would be extremely unlikely for us to get a very good player from them in any situation other than a Rule-5 or straight waiver claim, and that would have to be a prospect or project that would develop under us.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 01:05 PM)
With the Royals maybe, because nobody is worried about those guys right now. We've dealt with KC recently, so has Minnesota, Detroit, and Cleveland I believe. But one contender trading with another is a pretty odd situation.

But if Detroit is "having a fire sale" so to speak, then I would gather that they don't plan on contending for a few seasons anyway. Selling off Granderson, Mags, Guillen, Bonderman, etc. is a pretty steep changeover from their 2009 team.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
But if Detroit is "having a fire sale" so to speak, then I would gather that they don't plan on contending for a few seasons anyway. Selling off Granderson, Mags, Guillen, Bonderman, etc. is a pretty steep changeover from their 2009 team.

They'll still try to contend.

Maggs, Robertson, Bonderman, Willis, and Inge are all off the books after 2010. Plus in 2009 they were still paying Gary Sheffield, so once the majority of the bad contracts expire they'll have some money to play with. A lot of that will go towards extending Verlander though.

I wouldn't expect the Tigers to move all 3 of Laird, Jackson, and Granderson either. Maybe one of Jackson/Granderson and Laird, but not all 3, so that's not really a firesale. IMO they should move Granderson and Laird in order to keep the Verlander-Jackson-Porcello group together, because the SP is what will carry them, and then by 2011 they could be looking at those 3 plus another young starter or two working his way into the permanent picture, like Casey Crosby perhaps.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Go_Go_Sox79 @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
I think I am missing something..Why does everyone love this guy? He strikes out a ton, low avg. low OBP, granted he has a good glove but so does Rios. Seems like the type of guy this board would complain about!

This is what you're missing apparently: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/grandcu01.shtml

Granderson had an off year last year but he's one of the most exciting players in baseball.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
This is what you're missing apparently: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/grandcu01.shtml

Granderson had an off year last year but he's one of the most exciting players in baseball.

Jesus. He hit .250 and still was an average player offensively along with being worth a few wins too. Damn.

Not that it's going to happen, but getting Granderson would be incredible.

QUOTE (JoeBatterz @ Nov 12, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
I'd take him in a minute. Not sure that we have the package that they would want in return. What cheap veterans and prospects could we offer?

As far as prospects, you could offer a few of Danks, Flowers, Hudson, Torres or Viciedo. Those are very compelling talents in areas where Detroit will have a need. Bobby Jenks could be an interesting name for them since their closer just left in Free Agency.

Edited by RockRaines

I would agree. KW has made some good trades, but some questionable ones, too. If the Tigers are high on some of our prospects, they might try to get KW to overpay for Grandy, who I bet would love to play in his hometown.

Do the Cubs have anything the Tigers might be interested in?

From all I've ready about Grandy, I would like to see him in Chicago regardless. If they won't deal him to us, let him go to the Scrubs.

I bet you the Tigers will indeed try to deal Grandy to the Sox, but it will be such a lopsided trade in favor of Detroit with prospects, KW will correctly refuse the deal.

Probably both of the Danks as well as Flowers for Grandy?

Or Danks, Dayan V, and Flowers for Grandy.

I would not make either of those trades if I was KW, but it would be amazing to get Granderson.

Do the Yankees still have good prospects to surrender? I'd say whatever team dangles the best 3-4 young prospects gets Grandy.

If I'm Kenny, I call up Dombrowski and offer Flowers, Hudson, Retherford and Viciedo for Granderson. Add a player like him to our line-up and outfield and we instantly have a dangerous order and extremely effective defensive outfield. I would personally prefer him to Adrian Gonzalez, seeing as he'd probably be cheaper and fits more of what this team needs, IMO.

QUOTE (League @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 07:53 AM)
If I'm Kenny, I call up Dombrowski and offer Flowers, Hudson, Retherford and Viciedo for Granderson. Add a player like him to our line-up and outfield and we instantly have a dangerous order and extremely effective defensive outfield. I would personally prefer him to Adrian Gonzalez, seeing as he'd probably be cheaper and fits more of what this team needs, IMO.

I agree that Granderson fits more of a need for us in some ways, particularly defensively. His downward trends tend to sound an alarm in me however. I'm not a "stats guy" persay, so I'll leave it to others to debate that. I'm not sure that Granderson is the power guy that we need in the middle of the lineup. If you could possibly get Granderson and then resign Thome / Dye to dh that could work though.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
The Angels really love outfielders. I imagine CG would play LF, Hunter would stay in CF, Rivera would swing over to RF and Abreu would DH.

and a highly paid Gary Mathews Jr on the bench