Curtis Granderson Anyone

RockRaines

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granderson, 28, is a product of Thornton Fractional South and the University of Illinois-Chicago. He's also a terrific center fielder and the type of hitter who can help in the leadoff spot or the middle of the order. He's got only $25.75 million on his contract for three years, not including a $13-million option for 2013.
Linkl

The Tigers' wild spending is really catching up to them finally. They are making some of their more attractive players available in Edwin Jackson and Curtis Granderson. They are also possibly going to lose the services of Fernando Rodney. Polanco is as good as gone. They are even trying to move Gerald Laird.

Seems like between Cabrera, Willis, Ordonez, and what they are going to need to pay Verlander, they are in the same boat as a lot of other teams - 75% of their payroll accounted for by a handful of players.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
I remember last year when their writers suggested the Yankees make a move for Danks, for a handful of their average players. lol.

Its really the truth, calling them a tabloid mag is an insult to tabloid mags everywhere. They see Cashman and Dombrowski enter a room together during the meetings and all of the sudden Granderson is available. Whatever

Under the right deal this could make a ton of sense for Detroit.

If they could pull off something like Bonderman + Granderson for Montero, Jackson, and Aceves IMO they'd be retarded not to do it. The Tigers have a bunch of salary coming off the books after 2010 (Maggs, Willis, Bonderman, Inge, Robertson) and dumping Bonderman would let them keep Edwin Jackson in the meantime. From there, they could deal Laird, pick up an all-defense C at the minimum (since Laird's bat isn't worth a whole lot anyway) and split Montero between C and 1B. Austin Jackson could take CF and Aceves could be their 5th starter. Starting pitching is their sole strength and dismantling it will hurt them a lot more than losing Granderson will.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

YES. YES. YES.

This is the kind of player that would totally excite me and would make me totally excited about our chances.

Grandy in center; Rios in right.

I'd even be willing to part with a good player like Bobby to get Grandy.

Prove we can trade with other teams besides the Royals, Kenny. Give them a good player or two and get Grandy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
YES. YES. YES.

This is the kind of player that would totally excite me and would make me totally excited about our chances.

Grandy in center; Rios in right.

I'd even be willing to part with a good player like Bobby to get Grandy.

Prove we can trade with other teams besides the Royals, Kenny. Give them a good player or two and get Grandy.

We can't diss the KC system like that and actually get an impact player from another club

A name I haven't seen mentioned much is Luke Scott. He played DH on the Orioles but only because they have a stacked OF, he's not a statue. He played RF for the Astros and LF for the O's so he could slot into either. He's a lefty with decent pop and a pretty consistent OPS. Some injury risk, but wouldn't cost too much i'd guess. Anyways, just a thought, as he seems a more likely target than Grandy.

A brush with Granderson story to share: When he was a AAA player in the Detroit system, he was an instructor for a kids' winter baseball camp in Libertyville; my son attended. Not only was he a terrific teacher, but a great role model. He wore his Tigers uniform, stayed late to talk with the kids and signed autographs for all who asked. We've continued to follow his career since then and have delighted in his success (except against the Sox). I don't see how the Sox could pull of a deal for him, but what an addition he'd be.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Nov 11, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
A brush with Granderson story to share: When he was a AAA player in the Detroit system, he was an instructor for a kids' winter baseball camp in Libertyville; my son attended. Not only was he a terrific teacher, but a great role model. He wore his Tigers uniform, stayed late to talk with the kids and signed autographs for all who asked. We've continued to follow his career since then and have delighted in his success (except against the Sox). I don't see how the Sox could pull of a deal for him, but what an addition he'd be.

I just found out recently my brother played on the same field as him in HS, since Granderson's high school is in the same conference as mine.

That aside, I'd love to get Granderson.