AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

that might be one of the reasons why kenny might not be going after someone like agon i think, because even if we have the money, the sox never go past 5 yrs and super star players nowadays want 8 years

Mel, just look at the incredible success the Cubs are havin with Soriano's mega-deal!! :lolhitting

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 11:35 PM)
would the new GM of the padres trade away the team's best player to his old boss as his first big deal? If so, he'd better come out smelling like a rose.

If (and when) Adrian becomes a Red Sox, I hope SD rapes their farm and Clay Buchholz pitches like an absolute beast for them for years to come.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
If (and when) Adrian becomes a Red Sox, I hope SD rapes their farm and Clay Buchholz pitches like an absolute beast for them for years to come.

It's definitely a dicey situation for Hoyer, but guys like him don't get to where they are without thinking of this s*** themselves.

I'm sure if he does deal Adrian, it'll be because it's an offer he cannot refuse. He doesn't have to be in any hurry...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
It's definitely a dicey situation for Hoyer, but guys like him don't get to where they are without thinking of this s*** themselves.

I'm sure if he does deal Adrian, it'll be because it's an offer he cannot refuse. He doesn't have to be in any hurry...

With that rotation and if they get Beltre and Adrian that team will be scary good, have plus defenders in multiple positions and a great offense/pitchingstaff.

I posted on thesportingnews.com yesterday that I think Hoyer should try and extend Gonzalez. Accelerate his salary. Instead of $5M the next couple years he gets

2010 $15M

2011 $15M

2012 $20M

2013 $20M

2014 $25M

He's a franchise player and those don't come around that often. You would strengthen your fan base too. SD fans probably hate the thought of trading him even if it means good players in return. If Hoyer does trade him I would ask for Lester and Buckholz. They want one of my best young players? They have to give me one of theirs.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
I posted on thesportingnews.com yesterday that I think Hoyer should try and extend Gonzalez. Accelerate his salary. Instead of $5M the next couple years he gets

2010 $15M

2011 $15M

2012 $20M

2013 $20M

2014 $25M

He's a franchise player and those don't come around that often. You would strengthen your fan base too. SD fans probably hate the thought of trading him even if it means good players in return. If Hoyer does trade him I would ask for Lester and Buckholz. They want one of my best young players? They have to give me one of theirs.

They don't have the money to do that. That's why Peavy is on our team right now, because they were forced to cut payroll to $40 million.

Even if they could do that, they'd be giving him $19.5 million over the next few years over what his contract states, making the deal you're proposing basically a 3-year, $85 million dollar deal. Those are ARod numbers. He's got to put together a about 3-4 more seasons like last year before he can even discuss that kind of money.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
i saw this hmm KW needs to jump on it!

Sometime this evening, before even reading that article, I came to the sad conclusion that there is almost no chance that the White Sox can trade for Adrian Gonzalez. This article out of Boston sums up that it would basically be the new GM hanging himself if he were to trade Adrian Gonzalez without getting an incredible package in return. Do we have the type of assets to put together such an insane package? Sure. But the only way I can even fathom such a package that would make us able to acquire him is if it included Beckham with 2 top prospects. We are obviously not going to do that because most of our fans and our entire front office view Beckham as the possible future face of the franchise. I don't even think Carlos Quentin and prospects for Adrian Gonzalez would be the value that the new Padres GM would want, although I personally think that CQ's offense production has the potential of being better than Gonzo's.

I can continue to dream that our package of Flowers, Danks or Mitchell, and two other of our top tier prospects would be enough, but I really think the Padres GM would need to get some type of name back in the deal to be able to hold his head up in front of his fan base. None of the Padres fans know those names. They may know of Beckham though :(. I brought this up before, but what about trading Alexei? His production based on his contract is pretty decent. He isn't a big name though. It would also open up a hole at 2B/SS, but aren't there a few players on the open market still that could fill that void?

Oh well... I need to move on from all Gonzo. It feels like any thought on it is a waste of time.......

Next year would be an ideal time to get Gonzo. The asking price will be lower and the Sox will have an opening for him.

Also I just don't see anyone ponying up for him while the price is so high, so he may very well still be with SD going into next offseason.

However, if the Yankees sign Holliday, I think the R Sox bite the bullet and just make the trade happen, regardless.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 09:27 PM)
The reason is because we have maybe 4 or 5 good players in our farm system, and the rest is absolute junk. When you look at our roster, we have a handful of players that are likely on their way out in a year or two. Since we're never competitive in the FA market, there's going to have to be guys like Flowers and Viciedo that step into a starting role.

Absolutley...not only that, you need a little depth in the farm system to be able to supplement your roster during the year when injuries, slumps etc happen. This isn't fanatasy league, people.

What makes more sense, to me, is to involve a third team and explore dealing Mark Buehrle. This way, whoever gets Mark surrenders the prospects to SD, we free up $14 million in salary, and we get something for a great pitcher, but one whose skills may be in decline.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 04:19 AM)
What makes more sense, to me, is to involve a third team and explore dealing Mark Buehrle. This way, whoever gets Mark surrenders the prospects to SD, we free up $14 million in salary, and we get something for a great pitcher, but one whose skills may be in decline.

There's a couple who have said it on this board, and some analyst out there and I'll just echo their statements. We will NEVER get the kind of return that we should for Mark Buehrle. And if Mark Buehrle is ever traded (or left in whatever way)... I'd probably be alot more pissed (or pretty much ever) then when Frank left us.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 04:19 AM)
Absolutley...not only that, you need a little depth in the farm system to be able to supplement your roster during the year when injuries, slumps etc happen. This isn't fanatasy league, people.

So this isn't fantasy land? You could have fooled me when you started talking about trading the face of the franchise after a down season.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 18, 2009 -> 04:59 AM)
There's a couple who have said it on this board, and some analyst out there and I'll just echo their statements. We will NEVER get the kind of return that we should for Mark Buehrle. And if Mark Buehrle is ever traded (or left in whatever way)... I'd probably be alot more pissed (or pretty much ever) then when Frank left us.

Also throw in that Buehrle negotiated his deal to essentially make him untradeable, since if he's traded he get's $19 million.