AGon discussion, et. al.

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
TCQ is about to expensive, which is exactly what the Padres don't want.

I don't think that this would be a problem. Quentin's going to have to have another 2008-like year before he's anywhere near expensive. And even then, with his injury history, I don't see him getting $12M or anything crazy like that in his second arb-eligible year. And even if he did go off and hit 50 HRs this year and the Padres didn't want to pay him arb-value next year, he's still under team control through 2012 and the they could easily flip him for more prospects (which is what they're looking for anyway).

Dealing AGon for Quentin and a package of high-tier prospects would make a lot of sense for the Padres. Unfortunately, it would make less sense for the Sox.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)
I don't think that this would be a problem. Quentin's going to have to have another 2008-like year before he's anywhere near expensive. And even then, with his injury history, I don't see him getting $12M or anything crazy like that in his second arb-eligible year. And even if he did go off and hit 50 HRs this year and the Padres didn't want to pay him arb-value next year, he's still under team control through 2012 and the they could easily flip him for more prospects (which is what they're looking for anyway).

Dealing AGon for Quentin and a package of high-tier prospects would make a lot of sense for the Padres. Unfortunately, it would make less sense for the Sox.

I think he's saying that if Quentin has another year that he is capable of (and thus worth acquiring in an AGon trade), he's going to become so expensive that they are going to have to spin him around and trade him right away anyways. If he isn't getting payed a lot of money, it wouldn't even be worth it to trade for him in the first place because you know Kenny wouldn't sell Quentin unless he was given value based on his 2008 season and not the 2009 one. And, as you said, it really doesn't make any sense for the Sox in the first place.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
I think he's saying that if Quentin has another year that he is capable of (and thus worth acquiring in an AGon trade), he's going to become so expensive that they are going to have to spin him around and trade him right away anyways.

If Quentin had a fully-healthy version of 2008, I don't think that he'd be getting a ridiculous one-year contract via arbitration. Maybe $9M, and that's a real stretch, IMO. I realize that the Padres are cash-strapped, but Quentin's contract is year-to-year through 2012 and I don't think that they'd keep him that long anyway.

In the scenario I envision, Kenny would trade CQ this month and SD would only be on the hook for his $3.2M, before they dealt him to another team next winter for more prospects (in addition to the ones that they got from AGon). They could certainly afford that.

If he isn't getting payed a lot of money, it wouldn't even be worth it to trade for him in the first place because you know Kenny wouldn't sell Quentin unless he was given value based on his 2008 season and not the 2009 one. And, as you said, it really doesn't make any sense for the Sox in the first place.

I don't know about that. Dude is never healthy and every other GM knows this. At the very least, I don't think that Kenny is even considering signing Q to a long-term deal. If I'm Kenny and I have a choice between three more years of Quentin or two years of AGon, I take the latter in a heartbeat. The problem is that SD would certainly want a number of top prospects in that deal as well and that Kenny would have to out-bid every other team in the league (which essentially means Hudson, Flowers, and possibly a guy like Harrell as well).

I'm fine with sticking with Quentin or basically an OF. 1B is one of the easiest positions to fill as there are usually much more FA 1B or trade-able options on the market than good premier OF. (usually they are old/expensive) I'll hold out hope on Joey Votto when he becomes available next season, and who knows who else we don't know about can be had at 1B. Quentin is IP, but I'm willing to give him this season to see if he can fight off the injury bug especially with the whole free rest DH thing from the outfield.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 06:21 PM)
I would get behind a Quentin deal. To me, there's no guarantee CQ is ever going to produce like he did 2 years ago again. I'd take Agon 100 times out of 100 over Quentin.

Not me because its gonna be the combination of Q and Adrian thats gonna get you the best chance to get to the championship, without Q all our "we need a LH power bat" will turn into a "is PK a good enough power bat"

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
Not me because its gonna be the combination of Q and Adrian thats gonna get you the best chance to get to the championship, without Q all our "we need a LH power bat" will turn into a "is PK a good enough power bat"

I agree. Trading Quentin kind of defeats the purpose of bringing in Gonzalez. Granted Gonzalez is probably an upgrade offensively over Carlos, as long as Quentin is healthy, he'll be an offensive force. I think he'll be over his foot problems this year. I had that same problem 5 or 6 years ago and once it finally cleared up, I've never had it again and although I'm not a professional athlete I am more active than most physically. Before his foot started bothering him, he had 8 homers in his first 70 ABs or so.

I agree. Trading Quentin kind of defeats the purpose of bringing in Gonzalez. Granted Gonzalez is probably an upgrade offensively over Carlos, as long as Quentin is healthy, he'll be an offensive force. I think he'll be over his foot problems this year. I had that same problem 5 or 6 years ago and once it finally cleared up, I've never had it again and although I'm not a professional athlete I am more active than most physically. Before his foot started bothering him, he had 8 homers in his first 70 ABs or so.

DA, I agree with you. The whole premise for the type of haul that the Pads want to begin with is centered on young, cheap, controlable near MLB ready talent. They want good propsects to fill the current holes they have in CF, catching, and starting pitching which would be cheap and under control for at least another 3-4 years. Their àyroll will or might be at a point then to give extensions and arb raises. I still think if KW is patient and see what he has going into the season from ST then at the July deadline he might be ready to strike. But it also depends on how prospects like Hudson, Flowers, Morel, JDanks2, etc perform.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Mar 5, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
I would get behind a Quentin deal. To me, there's no guarantee CQ is ever going to produce like he did 2 years ago again. I'd take Agon 100 times out of 100 over Quentin.

I don't think anyone would fight you on that, except that whole San Diego actually agreeing to that trade part...

New rumor fodder. With each passing rumor it really seems it will be a question of not if but when. This latest one discusses the fact that Agon is not in the club press guide for any type of events this year such as jerseys or bobbleheads. May or may not mean anything or may have been covered before.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1304698...ade-winds-swirl

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
New rumor fodder. With each passing rumor it really seems it will be a question of not if but when. This latest one discusses the fact that Agon is not in the club press guide for any type of events this year such as jerseys or bobbleheads. May or may not mean anything or may have been covered before.

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1304698...ade-winds-swirl

When Clayton Richard gets a bobblehead night over Gonzalez, you know he'll be traded.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
yep. . he'll be a Red Sox or a White Sox by midseason. Stay tuned. .

There are quite a few teams who are going to have interest in Adrian Gonzalez. Beyond that, the Red Sox have Youkilis, Ortiz, and Beltre as capable players at 1B, 3B, and DH, and still have Mike Lowell on their roster too. They'd have to make room for Gonzalez before they bring him in.

The biggest sleeper in this entire race, to me, is the Mariners. They have prospects to deal, don't have a strong 1B platoon (Kotchman/Garko should be effective, but it's not ideal), and should be in contention all year.

Five bobblehead nights are planned for the summer featuring David Eckstein, Chase Headley, Kyle Blanks, Clayton Richard and Everth Cabrera ... but no Gonzalez.

Jeeze we haven't had a real player sga bobblehead since Thome (excluding AJ and Peavy)... Thomas is great this year... but where's Bacon, TCQ, Alexei,D1,Floyd etc

I Also see AGon going to the Red Sox :unsure:

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
yep. . he'll be a Red Sox or a White Sox by midseason. Stay tuned. .

Or, he'll create a new type of Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
There are quite a few teams who are going to have interest in Adrian Gonzalez. Beyond that, the Red Sox have Youkilis, Ortiz, and Beltre as capable players at 1B, 3B, and DH, and still have Mike Lowell on their roster too. They'd have to make room for Gonzalez before they bring him in.

The biggest sleeper in this entire race, to me, is the Mariners. They have prospects to deal, don't have a strong 1B platoon (Kotchman/Garko should be effective, but it's not ideal), and should be in contention all year.

I wish Bavasi was still the Mariners GM...would make it easier for us. Zduriencik is an aggressive GM that I can see pulling the trigger.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 14, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)

That seems possible, that is a lot of players to give up when they have as many big salaries on the horizon as they have.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
Would De Aza be a good trade piece to add to any AGon deal?

The Sox claimed De Aza on the waiver wire this offseason for essentially nothing. There's no reason to assume that his trade value is anything other than nothing until he comes up to the big league team and looks like a quality everyday major league player. Right now, he's a "you could have had me free if you really wanted me" level backup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
The Sox claimed De Aza on the waiver wire this offseason for essentially nothing. There's no reason to assume that his trade value is anything other than nothing until he comes up to the big league team and looks like a quality everyday major league player. Right now, he's a "you could have had me free if you really wanted me" level backup.

I really hope that was supposed to be a joke about De Aza