Winter Meetings?

balfanman

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
I don't know.

Most baseball fans there right now are fairly casual.

Guess the cities by population.

Indianapolis

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Kansas City

Minneapolis

I'll call out one of them.

Minneapolis - 390,131 PLUS St. Paul - 287,151 = 677,282

I would say that is big enough, and that is just the city sizes

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 07:08 PM)
I'll call out one of them.

Minneapolis - 390,131 PLUS St. Paul - 287,151 = 677,282

I would say that is big enough, and that is just the city sizes

Not to mention that some of the biggest failures of organizations in MLB are on that list.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
The Red Sox are desperately trying to find someone to take Mike Lowell and his suitcase of money.

Word is that they have a deal lined up with Beltre, but want to move Lowell first.

I read the Cubs really want him. Of course, they love signing huge contracts.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 09:05 AM)
Buster Olney reports the White Sox are indeed shopping Jenks.

Rays have serious interest but Kenny's initial asking price was to high the last time I saw anything about a Jenks deal.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
Rays have serious interest but Kenny's initial asking price was to high the last time I saw anything about a Jenks deal.

They are after Soriano now. He will cost about the same financially, will take less to acquire (because Atlanta wants to deal him), and was better last season. I don't think they are going to be acquiring Jenks any time soon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 07:48 AM)
Not a big surprise, but an interesting idea for the Sox, who could use a lefty power bat, and cheap.

Why would we want another guy that wasn't good enough to play for the Royals?

To anyone wanting to play Jacobs at first........have fun. I'm pretty sure I'm a better first baseman than that guy. While he has power, his swing is long meaning a high K rate, he doesn't walk, his OBP is crap, and his defense is horrible. He's nothing more than a power bat off the bench. Bale sucks too. I doubt the Royals pick 2 players so maybe they are getting ready to sign Kendall today.

Posted by: revive85 | December 10, 2009 at 07:53 AM

To the multiple people above who said that maybe their team could pick Jacobs up to help out at 1st...Jacobs was so awful at 1st base for one of the worst teams in baseball (royals) that they made him strictly a DH early in the year and gave Billy Butler a shot at the job, even though he had little experience and nobody believed he would be much better. Jacobs is a terrible fielder - probably one of the worst fielding 1st basemen in baseball. And when you can't hit all that well either...Well, I'm just saying, there is a reason the Royals dropped him.

Posted by: KCJay | December 10, 2009 at 07:57 AM

No thanks...

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)
Why would we want another guy that wasn't good enough to play for the Royals?

To anyone wanting to play Jacobs at first........have fun. I'm pretty sure I'm a better first baseman than that guy. While he has power, his swing is long meaning a high K rate, he doesn't walk, his OBP is crap, and his defense is horrible. He's nothing more than a power bat off the bench. Bale sucks too. I doubt the Royals pick 2 players so maybe they are getting ready to sign Kendall today.

Posted by: revive85 | December 10, 2009 at 07:53 AM

To the multiple people above who said that maybe their team could pick Jacobs up to help out at 1st...Jacobs was so awful at 1st base for one of the worst teams in baseball (royals) that they made him strictly a DH early in the year and gave Billy Butler a shot at the job, even though he had little experience and nobody believed he would be much better. Jacobs is a terrible fielder - probably one of the worst fielding 1st basemen in baseball. And when you can't hit all that well either...Well, I'm just saying, there is a reason the Royals dropped him.

Posted by: KCJay | December 10, 2009 at 07:57 AM

No thanks...

LOL Im sure those messageboard posts figure into what KW thinks

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
So is this the last day of the winter meetings? People start leaving Indy at around noon today, right? So I guess it's safe to say that the White Sox come away with nothing this year. Bummer.

You don't usually get a whole ton of trades during the meeting, but you do often get some after, which probably got started during the meetings.

Patience, my friend.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
You don't usually get a whole ton of trades during the meeting, but you do often get some after, which probably got started during the meetings.

Patience, my friend.

Besides TCQ, I can't really think of any Sox moves at the winter meetings in the past few years.

There are a few articles out there about how the winter meetings are pretty obsolete for MLB. It's mostly for MiLB. The explosion of communication tech replaced most of what goes on.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)
Besides TCQ, I can't really think of any Sox moves at the winter meetings in the past few years.

There are a few articles out there about how the winter meetings are pretty obsolete for MLB. It's mostly for MiLB. The explosion of communication tech replaced most of what goes on.

Didn't Kenny stay at the Winter Meetings late one year and get a deal done? Was it the Colon deal?

Beckham hopes they find a leadoff hitter.

Chicago White Sox still seeking a leadoff hitter

Beckham not enamored with idea of filling role

INDIANAPOLIS -- One of general manager Ken Williams' remaining offseason quests is to find a leadoff hitter.

Should Williams succeed, no one will be more pleased than 2009 rookie sensation Gordon Beckham.

"I've heard the rumors," Beckham said from his Atlanta-area home as the Sox concluded the winter meetings still in pursuit of someone for the top of the order. "I kind of hope I don't lead off. I've never lead off before."

With the offseason at about the halfway point, the leadoff spot could be the most important box to be checked off.

The latest twist involves Scott Podsednik, with whom the Sox haven't reached an agreement despite more than two months of negotiations. According to published reports, Podsednik now is attracting interest from the Tigers and Giants as well as the Royals and Cubs. The Tigers envision him as a replacement for recently traded Curtis Granderson.

The Sox are one of several teams interested in free agent Coco Crisp, who can bat leadoff as well as play left and center field. But Crisp may return to the Royals.

The Sox didn't lose a player in the major league phase of Thursday's Rule 5 draft that concluded the winter meetings. But another deadline awaits them of 11 p.m. Saturday, when they must tender contracts to all their remaining unsigned players under control or make them free agents.

They're expected to tender contracts to Bobby Jenks, John Danks, Carlos Quentin and Tony Pena. They started talks with reliever D.J. Carrasco, but it remains uncertain whether the Sox will tender Carrasco a contract by the deadline despite his versatility.

The Sox already have made overtures toward free agent reliever J.J. Putz, who is rehabilitating his surgically repaired right elbow in Arizona and has attracted interest from more than 10 teams.

Manager Ozzie Guillen has been less eager to move Beckham to the top of the order and hopes to bat him lower. Beckham batted .323 with 45 RBIs with runners in scoring position. His average was second on the Sox to Podsednik's .325 mark in those situations.

"If I have to bat leadoff, I'll make do," said Beckham, who batted .270 in 103 games while working his way from the bottom of the Sox's batting order to the second spot. "I'll work at being good at it. I'm OK if they want me to bat there."

Meanwhile, Beckham is working on his conditioning and strength but doesn't plan to change his batting style once he resumes his hitting.

"I don't think they'd ask me to change much," Beckham said. "The only thing it would hurt (batting leadoff) would be my RBIs."

One change Beckham is looking forward to, however, is his switch from third base to second. He will work on the transition with bench coach Joey Cora in January.

"I'll be OK," Beckham said. "The only transition is turning (the double play)."