Sox interested in Yanks' Brett Gardner

beck72

ok so i smoked pot for the first time in 2 months so this could be me being high buttttttt what is everyone talking about on here, i seen multiple people say theyd rather have pop in the OF...then you want our lead off hitter to be our DH??? WHAAAA? or is everyone all of a sudden cool with batting becks leadoff or somethin? This guy is a younger, cheaper pods with a better glove for anyone not to like this move is mind boggling. You dont have to deal someone big (jenks for upton/ CQ for Crawford/ lexi for elsbury etc.) you save money that can be put forth getting a DH and a bullpen guy (im diggin the rumors of Putz and Matsui) and this guy played as a yankee rookie, the yankees usually dont stroll someone out there if theyre no good. Hes only 26 and has never played full time (not because he sucks but because he was on the friggin yankees) so who knows what hes capable of.

per wikipedia

His .447 batting average was third in the nation in 2005, and his 122 hits tied for the most hits in the country. His 85 runs in 2005 is the all-time record at CofC, and his 38 stolen bases led the Southern Conference. He wrapped up his Cougar career as a Third-Team All-American and a second-time All-Southern Conference player, sporting a .382/.456/.508 career line, mostly from the lead-off spot. He also went to Skyline Community College in Pacifica, California, but only attended for one year.

I know the southern conference is not a power house (i assume because ive never heard of it and couldnt tell ya a team outside of CofC) but those numbers look pretty damn good.

wow the more i look at his wiki the more this dude sounds like a f***in stud

Gardner adjusted well to wood bats in 2005, and finished the season in the New York-Penn League season ranking 5th in at bats (with 282), 2nd in runs (62), and 5th in stolen bases (19). He was a Florida State League all star in 2006, batting .323 in 63 games with 22 RBIs with the Tampa Yankees. He was 3rd in the Florida State League in batting average, and led the league in stolen bases with 30. Gardner also was second in the league in walks with 47.[1]

In 2007, he played 54 games for the Double-A Trenton Thunder, though he missed time with a broken bone in his hand. In 203 at bats, he stole 18 bases (tied for 5th in the league; while being caught 4 times), hit 5 triples, and batted .300 with a .392 OBP, before being promoted to the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees. There, in 45 games he batted .260 with a .343 OBP, and stole 21 bases while being caught only 3 times.[2]

In the fall of 2007, he played in 26 games in the Arizona Fall League, leading it in runs (27) and stolen bases (16), while being caught stealing only once. He batted .343 (5th in the league) with a .433 obp (3rd), and was 3rd in the league in walks (17).[3] In 2007, he was the 12th-best prospect in the Yankees minor league system according to Baseball America.[4]

Gardner headed into 2008, according to Baseball America, as the Yankee's fastest minor league runner and the one with the best plate discipline.[5] Playing for Scranton/Wilkes Barre in 2008, in 94 games Gardner was 2nd in the International League with a .414 on base percentage, 70 walks, and 11 triples, and 6th in the IL with 37 stolen bases, while being caught only 9 times.

Through 2008 in the minor leagues, he had a .291 batting average and a .389 obp. He had stolen 153 bases, and been caught 31 times, an 83% success rate.[6]

He has outstanding plate discipline, draws a good number of walks, and uses the whole field while making consistent, hard contact. Baseball America rated him as having the best strike zone discipline in the Yankees minor league system after the close of the 2006 season.

i honestly think id rather have him more than crawford or upton.

Id even give Dayan

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
If Rios isn't in center field he has next to no value. Certainly not at 10 mil a year

Also on Wiki it said he played some LF for the yanks so i could see CQ goin to right and puttin brett out in LF keeping Rios in CF......i also think youre wrong, rios is a stud and would have value in left.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
I like alot of things about him, but I worry about his lack of extra base hits.

first and foremost i got dibs on the brett gardner fan club president..... A lack of extra base hits doesn't bother me because 1. if he can singles hes a threat every time to steal a base and thatd be just like a double so really if he steals 40 bags and gets say 20 doubles and 10 triples thats really almost like 70 EBH 2. Beckhams hitting behind him who looks like hes gonna be a doubles machine he'll make up for that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 03:15 AM)
I figure Gardner is about the level of Willie Harris offensively with less power,but makes more contact.He might get on a little more. Fine for the bench, but the ignitor of your offense, you won't have a top of the line offense. He's worth acquiring as long as you don't put too much on him.

How do you have less power than Willie Harris?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
jphat does make an excellent point about how Rios' contract is even more iffy if he's your RF and not playing CF. I bet anything that KW wishes he could take that move back.

im also one of the biggest rios backers on here and will predict he has an all star caliber season next year and all this trash talking will go away real soon

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
Um, duh. The only problem with that is the Yankees wouldn't have done that deal, so it is a moot point.

Did they really think that highly of him I always thought of him as a backup in their eyes... guess as time has pasted ive forgotten how little value Swisher had when we sent him packing

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
I like alot of things about him, but I worry about his lack of extra base hits.

The Kid is one of the fasted runners in the game. He can make an extra base hit out of anything. Assuming we teach him to hit to the gaps, he'll be fine.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Did they really think that highly of him I always thought of him as a backup in their eyes... guess as time has pasted ive forgotten how little value Swisher had when we sent him packing

he did beat out melky for CF at the beginning of the year...thats right, this 2nd year player was the opening day starter of the yankees, that says a lot

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
Also on Wiki it said he played some LF for the yanks so i could see CQ goin to right and puttin brett out in LF keeping Rios in CF......i also think youre wrong, rios is a stud and would have value in left.

This is what will probably happen and I agree with. Rios will not be moving over to RF. Sure he will play some games there, cause of the rotation with the OF and DH, but he is our starting center fielder whose contract and value looks alot better in CF with jphat illuded too. Plus, IMO, Rios will probably be a better defender at the position. Put Gardner in LF (he was always a favorite player of mine, though I'm 50-50 on him being a full time player, but he will certainly help our OBP problem, was just ridiculous in the minors as an OBP guy) and Quentin in RF (much better in the past at his natural position in RF) and suddenly your OF defense looks 1000X better than it did last season.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
Just like Juan Pierre.

hmm dont know what youre inferring her but this kid is 6 years younger than pierre and can put up the same numbers

i see you were talking about his and pierres ability not inferring hed be a better option

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787