White Sox acquire Juan Pierre

Sockin

As long as we don't give up Hudson, Hynick or Santos and Pierre is in LF, i'll cool off about the move. I don't think he's an ideal option, i think Pierre has some tremendous holes in his game, he fits a need though, and i understand the thought behind it. Now, get me a lefty-power bat and a lefty-power arm.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
I just don't see that much different in the 2 and you're getting rid of a fan favorite, meaning casual fans.

Thome, Dye, Crede, Garland, Pods, Frank Thomas are recent fan favorites that don't have a place on this team.. and if we had them with there injuries, slumps, declining skills they wouldn't be fan favorites anymore.

QUOTE (League @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
Oh come on, the guy is cheap, plays good D and stays healthy. Figgins and Pods both have injury issues and Pods is a terrible defender, Figgins cost the M's 9M and probable would've cost more if we got into a bidding war with them.

Pierre upgrades the LF defense and gives us a .280/.340/.375 guy with tremendous speed. He can score from 1st on a double, and Becko is going to hit a ton of those behind him. He fits for this team and is cheap enough to allow us to still pursue a decent DH option.

He had 2 good weeks last year. Seriously he is a slappy fast guy who can't take a walk, and this is who is going to lead off? Plus, all the advanced defense metrics say his D isn't that good.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
He had 2 good weeks last year. Seriously he is a slappy fast guy who can't take a walk, and this is who is going to lead off? Plus, all the advanced defense metrics say his D isn't that good.

He isn't good in CF. He's been pretty good in LF (minus the arm).

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
A leadoff hitter who coincidentally enough, doesn't walk or get on base. This offseason has been very disappointing, IMO considering this move, and the year year deal to Teahen.

Why wasn't the money ponied up for Figgins? Better player by FAR.

This weird fascination with a "leadoff" hitter is so frustrating. I don't want a good leadoff hitter, I want a good hitter. Pierre is a below average left fielder, simple as that. I don't like this move and it doesn't bode well for the season. They better pick up a great DH.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Pods proved that he could hit pretty well in the AL, something that Pierre has never done since he's always been on an NL team. So what does his .300 average last year translate to in the superior AL?

You don't have to be happy with the move. But you're kinda nitpicking now. Pierre is more than capable of hitting .290-.300 in the AL.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
A leadoff hitter who coincidentally enough, doesn't walk or get on base. This offseason has been very disappointing, IMO considering this move, and the year year deal to Teahen.

Why wasn't the money ponied up for Figgins? Better player by FAR.

Figgins is making $9M a year. Two years worth of Pierre. If the Sox get a real power hitter with the money saved, then this is a good move.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)

Yeah he hit .308 in 380 at bats but he was only good for 2 weeks last year. Come on.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Pods proved that he could hit pretty well in the AL, something that Pierre has never done since he's always been on an NL team. So what does his .300 average last year translate to in the superior AL?

Great point. I also think the Sox are giving up a lot of runs without a solid run producer in left field, a traditional "power spot" if you will. You could get away with that if you actually played half your games in a pitchers park. Like it or not the White Sox SHOULD be built around the homerun.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
As long as we don't give up Hudson, Hynick or Santos and Pierre is in LF, i'll cool off about the move. I don't think he's an ideal option, i think Pierre has some tremendous holes in his game, he fits a need though, and i understand the thought behind it. Now, get me a lefty-power bat and a lefty-power arm.

Hynick is a solid option as a long guy or spot starter, but that is it. I'm okay giving him up. Santos I'd hope we'd keep, but the odds of him breaking camp on the 25 man roster are slim and at that point its 50/50 whether he'll get through waivers or not.

I tend to think he would, but who knows.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Great point. I also think the Sox are giving up a lot of runs without a solid run producer in left field, a traditional "power spot" if you will. You could get away with that if you actually played half your games in a pitchers park. Like it or not the White Sox SHOULD be built around the homerun.

Yeah...that LF situation hurt them in 2005.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
Yeah he hit .308 in 380 at bats but he was only good for 2 weeks last year. Come on.

I'd rather not value a guy based on batting average, let alone ignoring the fact that he played in a far inferior league. EQA of .278 with a SLG of .372.

I'm starting to think people never saw him play when he was a member of the Cubs...or you all are in love with grindy, bad players.

Edited by Paint it Black

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
Yeah...that LF situation hurt them in 2005.

We had power production in many places that year that we don't now.

Besides, those few homeruns from Pods were pretty important in the end that year.

Well, I'm definitely not thrilled with this move. There wasn't any way to bring back Pods for real cheap? I guess I was shooting for the stars though thinking the Sox would try to get BJ Upton or Carl Crawford.

My question is will we make any more moves or is this it? If this is it, then the offseason is a C+ grade for me (on paper), not including the Rios and Peavy acquisitions.

Edited by Mattchoo