White Sox acquire Juan Pierre

Sockin

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
Coming from you, that means a lot. So good to hear.

As long as its not your 8 million dollars it will be fine!!

I really don't like Juan Pierre as a player, but maybe it will work out ok. He never walks and I think he has been misplaced in his career as a leadoff man. I think guys get typecast as leadoff man just because they are fast when they are not suited for that role. Now that I have calmed down from my initial reaction and thought about it more, it has the chance of working out. Just depends on how the rest of it settles in. Still need a big bat in my opinion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
Yeah, so really the shopping list left is a power bat, and maybe another reliever.

To be honest, I couldn't care less if it's a lefty or not, I just want someone that can hit the ball in the middle of the order. Vlad still makes a ton of sense to me.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
To be honest, I couldn't care less if it's a lefty or not, I just want someone that can hit the ball in the middle of the order. Vlad still makes a ton of sense to me.

There are still options out there. Really Thome, Vlad, and JD are great options right off of the top of my head. You can get more into some other OFs and position players if you do want to make it a rotation position for giving guys a day off here and there.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:00 AM)
"The pitchers on the list are all pitchers who could pitch in the big leagues by 2010, the source said."

Okay, then McCulloch and Derek Rodriguez.

Neither of those guys have real value. I don't think that's the level of pitcher we are talking about here. I think its more like guys who have higher ceilings than that. I'd go with the list including guys like: Ely, Link, Shirek, Torres, Nunez, Santeliz, Harrell, Omogrosso, Hynick.

But NOT Hudson, or Bellamy.

I wish we knew who it was though.

For $4M/year over two years, and giving up (probably) nothing huge, I like this deal. Pierre is a decent OBP and speed guy, plays OK defense except for an awful arm, and comes cheap. Now, as others have said, we just need a power bat to bolster the DH position, from the left side. I would not be surprised if it was Thome.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 15, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
If the Dodgers have already picked them, then why are they considered PTBNL?

I can't remember the rule on that.

Essentially the Sox are giving them time to scout amongst a set number of players to pick two out of. I believe they can't be on the 40 man roster, but I could be wrong on that. I know someone will have better info.

Pretty predictable. I'm certainly not thrilled with this move. But you know what they say: Beggars can't be choosers. The 'ideal' leadoff guy out there for us to somehow acquire simply doesn't exist. If Pierre can sport a .350/.360 OBP, and he BETTER be in LF, I can't complain too much at 8 million over two years. Let's just pray to god Jared Mitchell pans out and is ready for The Show come 2012.

Edited by Jordan4life