6 new hitters & counting?

typewritermender

Hey guys--first post. Is anyone else concerned with the fact that we have (on my count) 6 new hitters between opening day '09 & '10? Actually 7 if you count Becks, which I won't for the sake of argument. Our lineup will be radically different, and whether you think it's better or worse on paper, these kinds of changes rarely pan out (unless you're the yankees and going out and getting proven all-stars...and even then it often doesn't work). On any given day 2/3 of our lineup could be unfamiliar with the team, the players, the fans, the stadium, etc... I'm worried about chemistry--and if we go out and get a DH? That's another one.

When this kind of veteran hole-plugging happens it makes me think that management has had their heads up their arses for the last year & weren't preparing themselves for the offseason. A team like the White Sox should be able to go out and get 1 or 2 key guys to plug into the lineup, along with 1 or 2 promotions from the farm system, and slowly evolve the team over time. I like fluidity in my on-field evolution. Forget the fact the most of the players we got are gigantic IFs! (and i don't mean infielders)

Pitching staff doesn't concern me as much--pitchers come & go all the time (esp. relievers) and for whatever reason don't seem to have the same effect on team chemistry.

Im not that worried, chemistry comes from winning and/or being a hardcore gamer. The sox roster needed this turnover, we were full of old, slow, lift and pull hitters who constantly clogged the bases and stranded runners. Our pitching staff deserves better, they deserve a team that is much more dynamic so that even when he face a tough pitcher we have a good chance to win. This is just part of the game, sometimes some offseasons require a larger degree of new faces than others, but make no mistake, this is a move in the right direction.

I really liked JD and JT and the veteran leadership that they brought to the clubhouse. That said, both are declining and were overpaid. In addition to the benefit of removing their inconsistent bats (famous for fading down the stretch) from the middle of the lineup, I think that the '06-'09 roster was getting a bit stale. I don't ever want to think that any of these guys stopped trying (after all, they're professionals), but it sure appeared that way back in August. At the very least, I think that a sense of complacency set in. Sometimes, a change of scenery brings about a better attitude in the workplace.

Agreed that clubhouse chemistry is important, but that tends to work itself out if you have the right type of players. Kenny goes out of his way to bring in good character people. And we still have Mark, Paulie, and A.J., so I'm not that worried about chemistry or leadership next year.

Pierre, Teahan, and possibly a dh/outfielder are the only regulars that are brand new to the team. Bench players are turned over nearly every year. Carlos and Alexei are going into their third full season with the White Sox, while Beckham and Rios were only there for partial seasons, I don't think anyone is worried about Beckham, and Rios has been in the league quite a while now.

As most do, I would really like to see another bat added, but I feel better about this lineup already than I did going into the start of the season last year. Fields, Getz, Anderson/Wise, and Alexei at a new position were in our starting lineup. That is really scary to think about(not to mention Colon and Contreras rounding out the back end of the rotation).

As others have mentioned, this was a really bad offense, and change needed to happen. Only time will tell if these are the right changes, and management is counting on bounce back years for certain players, but I like where they're at.

Even if another bat is not acquired, we haven't lost any prospects of value this offseason, and something can be done in season.

But to address the original question, no I don't think too many changes took place. There may be more in store. AJ, Konerko, Quentin, Alexei, Beckham, and Rios all finished the year with the team. It's really not that drastic.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Even if another bat is not acquired, we haven't lost any prospects of value this offseason, and something can be done in season.

I don't agree with this. Jon Link and John Ely have some decent potential and we gave them both away in the Pierre deal. Ely was nearly dominant in AA last year and Link also showed real promise (though he's an older 'prospect' so his upside probably isn't as high).

Ely is the guy I hated losing...he lead league in strikeouts and was a big winner, at only 23 years old he was certainly one to factor into the Sox future.

That said, I do like Pierre in LF. His numbers were solid last year, he can get on base, run and catch the ball. He'll help.

As is the case with Sox prospects, we can never get too comfortable with them. I expect Hudson will be gone within the next year or so.

Edited by kwolf68

In the day of FA and the fact that the Sox had some contracts ending the change doesn't bug me, in fact it was needed.

I'm not sure what the overall numbers were for the year, but they had a month or so stretch near the end of the year where their RISP avg. was about .220. Know I can be a bit of a stat guy that wants to look at more than one stat, but if they hit around the league average in that stretch they are in the thick of the race at the end of the year with Det and Min. A shakeup was needed. I really think they need one more power bat considering they play 81 games in the Cell, but we will see what happens, and with the first 4 in the rotation they have and considering the division they play in, they should have a chance most nights.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)
I don't agree with this. Jon Link and John Ely have some decent potential and we gave them both away in the Pierre deal. Ely was nearly dominant in AA last year and Link also showed real promise (though he's an older 'prospect' so his upside probably isn't as high).

Ely is the guy I hated losing...he lead league in strikeouts and was a big winner, at only 23 years old he was certainly one to factor into the Sox future.

That said, I do like Pierre in LF. His numbers were solid last year, he can get on base, run and catch the ball. He'll help.

As is the case with Sox prospects, we can never get too comfortable with them. I expect Hudson will be gone within the next year or so.

Ely had a good season, but this will probably be the highpoint of his career. He has very average stuff, he generally pitches in the mid 80's with a change up as his best pitch, and no real breaking pitch to speak of. He was another safe, low ceiling, advance throught the system fast, college pitcher, just like Broadway and McCullough.

He is nothing more than a throw in to a deal. Nothing would ever be centered around him, and losing him is really an afterthought. He has more value to the Dodgers, than he ever could with the Sox.

I realize Ely doesn't have electric stuff, but does Mark Buehrle? Not to compare the two, but what I understand is Ely was really studying hard to be a solid pitcher, his work ethic and devotion to his craft was turning him into a pretty damn good prospect.

NO, he was never gonna be a front of the rotation starter, but just looking at raw stuff sometimes doesn't tell the tale. I mean...a guy with 'average' stuff that struck out the numbers he did while also giving up a paltry number of home runs makes you wanna keep tabs on this guy.

It's over and done with, he's gone...probably won't be a huge loss, but I still think the character of the young man, his ability to grow, and work ethic, combined with a great understanding of how to pitch may find him pitching in the majors one day.

Oh yea, Ely also grew up a Sox fan...:)

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
I realize Ely doesn't have electric stuff, but does Mark Buehrle? Not to compare the two, but what I understand is Ely was really studying hard to be a solid pitcher, his work ethic and devotion to his craft was turning him into a pretty damn good prospect.

NO, he was never gonna be a front of the rotation starter, but just looking at raw stuff sometimes doesn't tell the tale. I mean...a guy with 'average' stuff that struck out the numbers he did while also giving up a paltry number of home runs makes you wanna keep tabs on this guy.

It's over and done with, he's gone...probably won't be a huge loss, but I still think the character of the young man, his ability to grow, and work ethic, combined with a great understanding of how to pitch may find him pitching in the majors one day.

Ely went to my high school (Homewood-Flossmoor). Good guy. I have no talent for baseball but one of my best friends hit a ground rule double off him in a summer league in high school. For that reason alone, I hope he makes it in the bigs! Just disappointed it won't be with us.

/hijack

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)

We have a half dozen Jon Links in our organization, and we have a couple of guys ahead or just behind Ely. Meanwhile, we don't have a Juan Pierre. Math works for me.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)

Mark Buehrle was an anomoly, but people always bring him up. We've had 40 "mark buerhle's" come through our system since 2001. Josh Stewart ? = Mark Buerhle!

I doubt Ely turns into anything special.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 12:32 PM)
Ely went to my high school (Homewood-Flossmoor). Good guy. I have no talent for baseball but one of my best friends hit a ground rule double off him in a summer league in high school. For that reason alone, I hope he makes it in the bigs! Just disappointed it won't be with us.

/hijack

Me too, I went to HF, though Ely graduated a few years after me, prolly closer to my little sisters age. Sad to see the local guy go, but hey its part of the business.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 12:23 PM)
Mark Buehrle was an anomoly, but people always bring him up. We've had 40 "mark buerhle's" come through our system since 2001. Josh Stewart ? = Mark Buerhle!

I doubt Ely turns into anything special.

Thank you. I obviously have no personal connection to John Ely. Even with that, I can go on and assume he's a swell guy. But his absolute maximum ceiling is that of a 5th starter. Just because he was our best pitching prospect (not counting Hudson) doesn't mean he was a legitimate prospect. I doubt he'd make a top 10 pitching prospects list for any other organization outside of maybe the Cardinals, Brewers or Astros.

• 2 weeks later...